Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 1/4/2006 4:37:29 PM EDT
A good assist to driving fast and otherwise. Why have a switch to turn it off? Just for the burnouts?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:01:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2006 6:02:06 PM EDT by deej86]

Originally Posted By captainpooby:
A good assist to driving fast and otherwise. Why have a switch to turn it off? Just for the burnouts?

Yeah.
Burnouts and powerslides.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:01:32 PM EDT
On my '05 Chevy Colorado (2wd), it's a mixed blessing.

1. It won't let you spin the rear wheels uncontrolably, and it actually works best with an automatic transmission and front wheel drive in icy conditions. When engaged, the GM version will rev-limit the engine, thus preventing you from driving fast while a low traction condition exists.

2. On my manual tranny, it's a PITA. If I start to spin while letting out the clutch, it will literally stall the engine unless I punch in the clutch quickly. I also have a locking differential that works to keep the truck going straight, even when spinning, sort of rendering the traction control useless.

3. On GM products there's an ON/OFF switch on the dash. If I have to blast through a snow drift or muddy condition, I'll shut it off.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:28:22 PM EDT

It's so less experienced drivers wont spin it off the street on snow or ice, the moment they touch the gas. But here in FL, it's also helpful in rain. I have it in my 04 Mach1. Go out to a skidpad in the rain and drive with it on and off, you will definately realize how much it helps. But in perfect conditions, i drive with it off in case i have to jump on the gas or something.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:09:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 1BMF:

It's so less experienced drivers wont spin it off the street on snow or ice, the moment they touch the gas. But here in FL, it's also helpful in rain. I have it in my 04 Mach1. Go out to a skidpad in the rain and drive with it on and off, you will definately realize how much it helps. But in perfect conditions, i drive with it off in case i have to jump on the gas or something.

Good plan. Growing up in the north, we spent a lot of time learning to drive sideways in parking lots full of snow(and on the roads). I was pretty good at, we'll see how well I can do with this thing in a wet parking lot.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:14:11 AM EDT
There are a few different types. Traction Control is only a throttle or throttle/brake control (drive wheel brakes only) used to limit wheelspin in low traction situations. Stability Control uses the throttle plus all four brakes in various combinations to control lateral movement, for example sliding in a turn due to oversteer or understeer. Some cars have one or both of them.

Highly skilled drivers will post a faster road course time with all of that stuff turned off. Some amount of oversteer and even wheelspin (in ultra-high performance cars) is necessary for the fastest possible lap time.

Even moderately skilled drivers will post a faster 1/4 mile ET with such driving aids turned off. You need a hint of wheelspin to get the best launch. You can't have the ECU cutting the throttle when that happens ro you'll "bog" badly, similar to letting the clutch out too quickly.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:34:12 PM EDT

ultimately it takes vehicle control away from the driver. i personally dislike TCS. but then i have built my car for extremely hard/sideways driving.

granted TCS can proform actions faster than me, it would hinder what i do in my vehicles.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:38:09 PM EDT
My firebird doesn't have it thank GOD. When I drop the RAT in it, I'll be able to play as I wanna play.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:48:47 PM EDT
Traction control is great for slick roads and will also be another advantage to you when you sell the vehicle. Its a safety concern which should be used anytimes roads are "slick".
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:27:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 1dreamer:
Traction control is great for slick roads and will also be another advantage to you when you sell the vehicle. Its a safety concern which should be used anytimes roads are "slick".

Then again, learning to really drive helps to. I don't like ANYTHING that takes away control of the car.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:33:23 PM EDT
Good for daily driving, bad for spirited driving or racing. I am REALLY glad the 550RWHP Z06 I drove around in the rain had it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:40:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:59:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Lightning_P38:
My LHS had traction control, I never really noticed it much most of the time, but when the roads were wet it seemed to do a good job of keeping the car going in a straight line. I also found it to be very helpful when driving on the loose gravel raods you often find on mountainsides in East TN and Western NC.

I do remember having a switch to turn it off, but on that car there really isn't much reason to turn it off. If it is activating so much that you are overheating your tranny you are probably in trouble anyway (technically that is the reason for the shutoff switch).

I dont drive that hard. I kind of like it when I pull out and punch it, the back tires bark and it gives a wiggle but the car just goes straight.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:13:07 AM EDT
My Corvette has traction control, but also stability control. I can nail the throttle on a hard right turn, and can't lose control. It's amazing in action

I typically drive in "competition" mode. It leaves the stability control on (good if you hit a wet patch on a corner), but turns off the traction control so you can chirp'm when you want to. (or smoke'm )
Top Top