Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2002 5:57:33 AM EDT
How about a function allowing a person to track their own posts? Convenient for trying to find where you posted that stupid question you really need the answer to.
They recently added this function over at gun-talk I have found it to be helpful.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 8:17:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 9:23:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Since GB brought up the active topics subject;

Would be possible for folks who become members following the 1st of the year in the Bronze / Silver / Gold membership tree to have longer active subject times.  For instance; 48 hours for Bronze, 60 hours for Silver, 72 hours for gold.  I find it frusterating to comeback sometimes after doing two days of research then have to re-find the thread.  I know it probably comes down to bandwidth and resources, but I don't know how much active topics takes, so I figured I'd ask.  Thanks for all the time and effort you put into this board GB.  As soon as my christmas bonus comes through, I plan on joining ( Probably Gold Membership ) in order to support the cause.  Thanks Again!

- Nw -
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 10:07:39 AM EDT
[#3]
How about being able to choose how far back you want your active topics to go ? Like when you search you can choose how far back you want to search.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 10:35:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You can use the "my active topics" function to pull up all posts which you have participated in and have had traffic in the past 48 hours.

After that, you can use search, and search on your username (as author) to pull up topics you have written. [=)]
View Quote

What about restoring the "reply authors" search function ??

Why is that still broken ??
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 10:58:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 7:31:48 AM EDT
[#6]
72 hours would be nice.  I usually can't check on Saturday or Sunday so on Monday I have to use the Search to see what's happened since Friday because My Active Topics doesn't go back far enough.  I guess that's a non-issue for me now, until I get Christmas paid off and send the $20...  

What if you could replace Board List with My Topics, kind of a pseudo board where all the posts are ones you've contributed to?  Maybe Active Topics could be the same way.  And you could put a "show posts from:" at the bottom like on a regular board.  Just allow 1/2/3 days on Active Topics, and 1/2/3/7/14 days on My Topics.  Obviously it wouldn't have a "New Topic" button.

Then you could change "Subscribe" to "Email Notification" and "Add to My Topics" where the first would work like Subscribe now, and the second would flag it to show up in the psuedo board as if you'd posted to it.

And it would be really cool if each user could be "moderator" on the My Topics psuedo board so they could tack a topic to keep it from dropping off the list.

If you made Search so you could search in a specific forum like "Rimfire & Pistol" instead of a whole board like "AR15" maybe that would cut down on the resources used.  I know I can rule out a lot of forums when looking for info, but the function won't let me.  Removing the "All Boards" search might help too.  Or at least not make it the default.  edited to add: it would be nice to at least be able to exclude the EE when searching so you can look for info on something (for example ACOGs) w/o finding all the ones for sale.

A multiple keyword search would be much more useful than the "exact phrase" search.

Link Posted: 1/3/2003 9:28:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 11:15:56 AM EDT
[#8]
So it will show topics you started, but not topics you only replied to?  Most of the topics I'm interested in are started by someone else.

Really I'd rather have the general Search back than anything for just my topics.  But I can see where that would use up resources.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 11:26:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 11:33:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd be curious to know how much, if any, limiting the scope of searches to a specific forum would save.  I'm guessing the number of searches performed would go up as people search several forums, but the total number of posts searched should go down.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 11:47:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top