Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2004 3:08:24 PM EDT
Does any body know what kind of engine I can put into an '88 Toyota pickup. I know I can put in a V6, or 4cyl, but what I am trying to find out is if I can put in an engine from a different Toyota vehicle such as a T-100, Tacoma, or  4-Runner. I am also aware that this is a gun board and not a truck board.

Also, does anyone know if Toyota will replace engines and transmissions on older vehicles or is this strictly a 3rd party function?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:10:01 PM EDT
[#1]
out a gm 350 in it
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:42:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
out a gm 350 in it

I don't think it would fit.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:43:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes the dealer would be glad to do it for you, about the late model engine and trans swap it can be done just like anything but the price its not going to be a bolt in slam bam deal. IMO I would just stay with the orignal config(if it came with a four stay with a four and likewise) and go from there.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:46:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
out a gm 350 in it

If a 350 can fit into a chevvett it can fit in your toyota. it's all just a matter of cutting and welding
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:53:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
out a gm 350 in it

If a 350 can fit into a chevvett it can fit in your toyota. it's all just a matter of cutting and welding

I think that may be a little much. I was thinking more along the lines of a stock Toyota V6. Unfortunatly, I didn't recieve the truck with the original engine in it, so I don't even know what it originally came with.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:56:25 PM EDT
[#6]
check a bit. Japan has far more stringent emissions standards, which has produced a glut of Used / low-mileage long-blocks on the import market. THere are companies specifically importing these whole motors into the USA. Cheapest direct replacement you are likely to find.

Also check your state's smog laws (if any) - you are likely to find you would be screwed if you put a more powerful motor in.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:56:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
out a gm 350 in it

I can put a 350 chevy in a golf cart.  If you are not equipped to install the engine in your Toyota yourself, the best advice is to sell it and buy something closer to what you want.  Paying someone to do this work, even if you personally know them, will still cost you a bundle and you will never be completely satisfied.  I have done such an install in different vehicles.  I know what it takes and how to do the work, as well as being equipped to do it.  If you pay someone who REALLY knows what they are doing, it will cost you $75 per hour, plus parts.  Such people will keep a log of their work and even if a  5 hour modification takes them 15 minutes, it will cost you 5 hours.  I have seen this, and don't be suprised when it happens to you.  The end result of typical examples are hot rods with $100000 plus labor that won't sell for more than $20000.  Adjust the prices to your example.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:06:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I hate to ask, but why? I have an '87 Nissan pick-up for banging around in, and when the engine croaks (190k now), I'm tossing the whole thing and getting a new one. It might not be worth the expense. Don't flame me, just asking.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:17:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I hate to ask, but why? I have an '87 Nissan pick-up for banging around in, and when the engine croaks (190k now), I'm tossing the whole thing and getting a new one. It might not be worth the expense. Don't flame me, just asking.

I understand the question, and the answer is, because I was looking for a truck that I had no issues with destroying and someone gave it to me. The truck is in excellent conidition, aside from the engine, which my step-brothers ex-wife ran hot until the head cracked. A decent salvaged engine, body lift and some bigger tires and it will be set for rampaging around the woods. Unlike other trucks which I would have to pay around $3000 for up-front, I can piece this one together as I get more money. The engine is almost certainly going to be the most expensive addition, and even that may be relativly cheap in comparison to a truck that already runs. For some reason, people in South Georgia seem to think that a truck that runs is more valuable than gold, and price their used trucks accordingly. While this would be no problem if I was only going to drive it on the street, it creates an issue when I take into consideration that it will likely be destroyed by me one way or another.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:26:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I would get the same engine.  Get a rebuilt one with low mileage and it should last you a long time.  Or look for a wreck and transplant the engine and tranny.  But if youre good with tools it will save you a lot of money in labor.  I bet you can get an engine/tranny combo for under $1500 at a junk yard. The rebuilt ones look expensive!

http://www.actionsalvage.com/enginestoyota.asp
http://www.nippon-motors.com/toyota.htm
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:26:07 PM EDT
[#11]
To answer your question, the 88 was available with a 3.0L V6, but a number of them had a headgasket recall that was significant. The wiring hanress should support the sawp, but for the money involved, I'd had another direction. The newer engines, the 2.7L I4 and the 3.4LV6 would be a serious hassle as you'd need the wiring harness and computer from the donor vehicle, not really worth the effort.

chevy small blocks can fit, but require an auto tranny if you have any power at all, as the V8 will smoke the manual, specifically 2nd gear will get killed. It can't handle the torque. You can however swap in a 4.3L Vortek V6, which is a powerful 6.

The 22RE I4 can be pepped up a bit, to around 130-140 hp, and still remain reliable. If you got a carb model, you can exceed that at the cost of reliability.

BTW, Toyota won't swap out any of these engines, aside from MAYBE the 3.0L Toy engine, since the wiring harness is there.

Whay are you wanting to swap engines anyway? Is your 4 dying? Mine has 147,000 and runs like a top, starts with just a bump of the key. If you have no power, did you put on bigger tires? Is so, a gear swap is in order, and will put you back to the power range you're supposed to have.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:49:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:22:18 PM EDT
[#13]
The ford 302 swap is very popular.  For just knocking around the woods, I'd replace it with a junkyard motor just like the one that's in it.  You can re-gear the rearend for better torque, and with a locker in the rear, you can go places a regular 4x4 (which is really only a 4x2) won't go.

Michael
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:39:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Whay are you wanting to swap engines anyway? Is your 4 dying? Mine has 147,000 and runs like a top, starts with just a bump of the key. If you have no power, did you put on bigger tires? Is so, a gear swap is in order, and will put you back to the power range you're supposed to have.

Thanks for all the info. I am replacing the engine because it was run hot several times, causing the head to crack. The general opinion was that if it had been run hot that many times, an complete replacement would be better than a rebuild.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top