Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2011 2:26:44 PM EDT
I was thinking about Tourettes today and I wondered if a Muslim got it, if strict Muslims would kill him.

Then I thought they probably didn't get Tourette syndrome. I figured the rest of the world probably never saw a case. It's probably only for us fat lazy Americans.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:29:06 PM EDT
[#1]
You don't "get" it like you "get" a cold, the flu, or AIDS.  It's not transmitted.

It's a neurological disorder, and it's not quite known what causes it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:30:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:30:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:30:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You don't "get" it like you "get" a cold, the flu, or AIDS.  It's not transmitted.

I didn't mean to imply that people catch it like the flu. I wonder if anyone other than Americans are ever diagnosed with it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:31:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:33:02 PM EDT
[#7]
lol
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:33:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Do people in other countries develop the syndrome?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:34:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I didn't mean to imply that people in other countries catch it like the flu. I wonder if anyone other than Americans are ever diagnosed with it.

A minute's search on Google revealed a link from a psych journal in the UK.  So I'm sure it's prevalent elsewhere.  Another link said half a million school age kids in the US and UK combined have it.

I misread it as you thought people "got it" like the flu.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I didn't mean to imply that people in other countries catch it like the flu. I wonder if anyone other than Americans are ever diagnosed with it.

A minute's search on Google revealed a link from a psych journal in the UK.  So I'm sure it's prevalent elsewhere.  Another link said half a million school age kids in the US and UK combined have it.

OK, what about Chinese? Arabs? Other non-English speaking, non-Christian countries?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:36:40 PM EDT
[#11]
TURKEY TITS!
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:37:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to Wikipedia:
Using year 2000 census data, a prevalence range of 1–10 per 1,000 yields an estimate of 53,000–530,000 school-age children with Tourette's in the US,[4] and a prevalence estimate of 10 per 1,000 means that in 2001 about 553,000 people in the UK age 5 or older would have Tourette's. Most cases would be mild and almost unrecognizable in older individuals.[66]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourette_syndrome#Epidemiology

So it's in the UK at least.  I don't know about the Middle East, and I'm not finding too many worldwide numbers.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:38:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, what about Chinese? Arabs? Other non-English speaking, non-Christian countries?

From a quick Google search I'm not finding too many numbers outside of the US and UK.  I'm sure if it's prevalent, they're keeping it to themselves.

Edit-here's a somewhat better link
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:43:29 PM EDT
[#14]
What would be funny (in a Mel Brooks kind of way) would be if you had someone who had Tourette's syndrome, and they worked in a customer service job, like at a call center help desk for example, and they cursed at customers all day long but they could NOT be fired, because they were protected by the ADA and to fire them would result in a discrimination lawsuit.

Customer: "Yes, is the XYZ company?  Listen, I bought this widget and it doesn't work like the directions say.  I need help."

Help Center Rep: "Go fuck yourself."

Customer: "WHAT?!?"
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:43:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Holy shit I'm fucking dieing here.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:47:06 PM EDT
[#16]
This is the best one!

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:48:16 PM EDT
[#17]
LOL.  This almost sounds like one of those  jack handy deep thoughts from the old SNL.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:55:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What would be funny (in a Mel Brooks kind of way) would be if you had someone who had Tourette's syndrome, and they worked in a customer service job, like at a call center help desk for example, and they cursed at customers all day long but they could NOT be fired, because they were protected by the ADA and to fire them would result in a discrimination lawsuit.

Customer: "Yes, is the XYZ company?  Listen, I bought this widget and it doesn't work like the directions say.  I need help."

Help Center Rep: "Go fuck yourself."

Customer: "WHAT?!?"

The vast majority don't curse.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:56:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In Afghanistan the diagnostic manual lists it under the "Possessed By A Djinn" category.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:59:10 PM EDT
[#20]
"I wouldn't fuck her with my own ass" Classic
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:02:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where do you think legends about witches and demons and shit come from?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:07:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Tourette's affects a whole number of things, people wrongly assume that it just revolves around swearing and outbursts.

For the record I do know a guy I grew up with named Tabor that snorted like a pig, instead of swearing, the Muslims would have loved that.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:19:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Eat me, Bailey

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:53:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I was thinking about Tourettes today and I wondered if a Muslim got it, if strict Muslims would kill him.

Then I thought they probably didn't get Tourette syndrome. I figured the rest of the world probably never saw a case. It's probably only for us fat lazy Americans.

Would not a Mooslum with Tourette Syndrome be............ a "Community Organizer"????
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:07:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Seeing as how it is possibly genetic, the lineage necessary may not exist in Muslim cultures.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:10:23 PM EDT
[#26]
For the record, the syndrome "symptoms" range widely from person to person.
It might be as slight as a facial tic or repetitive hand movement, (non vocal) all the way up to "tourette guy".
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:13:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Ok.

Muslims. Do they get mumps?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Touring in France.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#29]
it's just a western thing...only bored pussified cultures get it...like medieval europeans "swooning" all the time n such
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:20:10 PM EDT
[#30]
From my Lebanese relatives I get the impression that Arabic doesn't really have curse words* the same way English does. This leads to an amusing thought of someone randomly shouting out "rest facilities", "defecate", "coitus"

Hmm, it was funnier in my imagination.

* The whole premise is probably incorrect and the in-laws are just too polite to teach me anything interesting in Arabic.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:37:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
From my Lebanese relatives I get the impression that Arabic doesn't really have curse words* the same way English does. This leads to an amusing thought of someone randomly shouting out "rest facilities", "defecate", "coitus"

* The whole premise is probably incorrect and the in-laws are just too polite to teach me anything interesting in Arabic.

Our terps in A'stan would call each other donkey or melon head.  They could curse like champs in English though.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:38:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Tourette's Disease is a debilitating disease and also presents a serious social stigma to those afflicted.

Fortunately, there is help available.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:46:59 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Ok Jack Handy

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:58:56 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Tourette's affects a whole number of things, people wrongly assume that it just revolves around swearing and outbursts.

For the record I do know a guy I grew up with named Tabor that snorted like a pig, instead of swearing, the Muslims would have loved that.

Exactly.  I've known a couple people who had it, in most it is just involuntarily twitching, not outbursts of cursing, though that makes funnier TV and movie skits.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:04:06 PM EDT
[#36]

Now that shits funny!
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:06:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Br J Psychiatry. 1987 Sep;151:397-8.
A case of Gilles de la Tourette's syndrome in Saudi Arabia.el-Assra A.
Riyadh Armed Forces Hospital, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
AbstractAn occurrence of Gilles de la Tourette's syndrome in a 13-year-old Saudi female patient is documented, and treatment is described. It is thought that the improvement noted may be attributed to the hospital environment and reduced contact with the family.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3480766

So yes they get it and if you take away the girl from her stressful repressive family it improves.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:06:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top