Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/25/2003 10:44:37 AM EDT
Was wondering if anybody out there has come across a tough synthetic chew toy for dogs that have strong jaws and teeth? I have a couple of pit bulls, and they pretty much go through nylabones and such like they're soft candy. Which obviously isn't good for their digestion.

I've tried Konga toys, but they just end up nibbling pieces off of it. Again, not very good for their stomachs since they end up swallowing the rubber chunks.

They have regular bones that they chew on. But the problem with those is that they can only chew them in the one room in our house that has carpet. The rest of them rooms either have hardwood floors (it mars the wood when they drop them out of their mouth), or ceramic tile (worried about them damaging the tile, again from dropping them).

Has anyone else found a tough synthetic chew toy?
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 10:53:23 AM EDT
No. I have a small dog (36#) and had a 50# that would destroy just about any toy in one to two weeks. Kongs seem to last the longest. There is some dried pigskin chew treat they have a hard time with, but I have to cut pieces of it with metal shears just for reference. (or soak it in h20 for about 30 minutes). Wal-mart sells kong-style toys pretty cheap, btw. make sure you FILL the kong first, so they play with it instead of attack it. :)
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 11:41:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/25/2003 11:41:47 AM EDT by AZ-K9]
Kong makes several different "levels" of toys. Use the black ones, which are made for strong chewers. The red ones are shit.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 11:44:25 AM EDT
If they eat Kong's then there's nothing safe. I have a spare 1/2 shaft off my old Humvee you can try.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 11:53:59 AM EDT
Bowling pins, the big ones. My lab loves them.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 12:12:13 PM EDT
How about something basset hound size. Mine go through everything. Bowling pins a little too big.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 1:32:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/25/2003 1:32:58 PM EDT by AZ-K9]
[url]http://www.morrco.com/blackkongtoys.html[/url] Make sure youre using the right size, a pit should have an XXL black.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 2:01:36 PM EDT
Also ny-la-bone puts out a really aggressive one. I had a mutt that would chew through anything this is the one thing she could not. It is like their big denta bone type thing,but is round at the bottom and shaped like a cone at the top. It was great.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 2:08:30 PM EDT
My pit likes tires off a Cessna (any small aircraft). He has this weird attraction for aircraft tires. They last a VERY long time.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 2:16:03 PM EDT
My pit likes the black colored "Kong" toy. He destroyed everything else.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 2:21:28 PM EDT
Liberals? Seriously, do a search for "Boomer Balls". Zoos use them for tigers, polar bears, and other large strong animals. They make several different sizes, shapes, and thicknesses.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 2:48:20 PM EDT
A Glock.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 3:04:08 PM EDT
I believe some pet stores like Petco or Petsmart have a guarantee on their toys. I usual save the pieces of the destoryed Kong ball that my 65lb Pit leaves behind then exchange it with the receipt for a new one.[:P]
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 3:24:34 PM EDT
I have a 75 pound female Gordon Setter. She can chew through just about anything in a matter of hours. I try to buy toys that ate guarenteed "industructable" then take em back to the store for replacements. The clerks are always wondering what kind of beast I keep!
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 4:12:49 PM EDT
Black Kongs. My parents Akita will eventually kill it, but it lasts the longest. My pug, however, has yet to even scratch her red Kong. Av.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 5:18:11 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Max_Power: Liberals? Seriously, do a search for "Boomer Balls". Zoos use them for tigers, polar bears, and other large strong animals. They make several different sizes, shapes, and thicknesses.
View Quote
Not really a chew toy, and bad for teeth. Nonetheless, I do have one for exercising the dog.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 5:47:32 PM EDT
What about the bigger sizes of poly rope or cotton rope?? Do they hold up at all??
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 5:55:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Only_Hits_Count: What about the bigger sizes of poly rope or cotton rope?? Do they hold up at all??
View Quote
Those don't work for my dog. He rips little pieces out and swallows them...he sort of just sits there and nibbles at it while holding it still with his paws. I use the Kongs.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 6:07:53 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Chimborazo:
Originally Posted By Only_Hits_Count: What about the bigger sizes of poly rope or cotton rope?? Do they hold up at all??
View Quote
Those don't work for my dog. He rips little pieces out and swallows them...he sort of just sits there and nibbles at it while holding it still with his paws. I use the Kongs.
View Quote
Which is EXACTLY what my dogs do. Even with the Kongas. And I'm pretty sure I have tried the black ones. Prof Evil mentioned putting treats in them. Anyone else have any suggestions on how to get them to chew, and not nibble?
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 6:20:36 PM EDT
Best thing we have found is a bowling bowl for a real moster-chewer, aka an English Bulldog. And, no, I am not joking here....sadly enough.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 6:40:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By mcgrubbs: Best thing we have found is a bowling bowl for a real moster-chewer, aka an English Bulldog. And, no, I am not joking here....sadly enough.
View Quote
What about the paint chips? That can't be good can it?
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 6:53:33 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ShamusMcOI: Prof Evil mentioned putting treats in them.
View Quote
Yeah, the trick is to only let them have the kong for the first time WITH treats in it. You have to keep doing it occasionally, of course. Not garuanteed to work on any dogs other than my own. [:)]
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 8:36:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/25/2003 8:39:45 PM EDT by JH225]
Traffic Cones! They last longer than Kongs, and it sure as hell makes the neighbors take notice when they see a 150lb dog carrying a traffic cone around the yard, shaking it like a rag doll [:)] It took my animal about 5 minutes to totally destroy one of those heavy nylabone rubber ring toys with the little spikes this morning. He just rips it apart and spits out the pieces. Those big plastic balls you fill with sand are good for exercise too (I forget who makes them). Too big to clamp down on, and they roll/jerk around because of the sand, making the dog want to go after it again. Just don't let it in the house unless you want stuff broken. Oh, and did you ever see a preacher say "Holy Shit!" ? I did when my Rottie popped a basketball the first time he grabbed it! Sounded like a gunshot.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 8:41:05 PM EDT
Watch those ropes, if the dog gets them fraying and swallows fibers it can lead to ummm ummm interesting situations. My brothers dog chewed a rope apart and swallowed some fibers, and didn't get jammed up because they were not digested, but they did in fact go through lengthwise. They came home and found the dog chasing his "tail". Upon closer inspection it was a few pieces of nylon(?) fiber hanging out. Well the dog alledgedly is my nieces, so my brother told the girls to take care of it. They wanted nothing to do with it. Well he looked and figured out how much was still ummm ummm being held on to. Once he determined that he wasn't going to take a chance on slicing through anything if he straightened them out, he pulled them out. He thought the entire episode was hilarious. His wife and girls didn't.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 8:58:29 PM EDT
If he's going through a black Kong, there isn't much else out there. One thing is to stuff the kong with peanut butter and then push some biscuits or other treats into the peanut butter. Our girls like to play with the Molecule Ball: [url]http://www.petluvers.com/ourpets-2.html[/url]. You fill it with treats and they fall out as they knock it around. They love it. We also like this one, though it is kinda noisy as they knock it around.: [url]http://www.petco.com/product_info.asp?familyid=7389&sku=1821481003&tab=1&dept_id=301&c1=290&c2=301&c3=&ct1=Toys&ct2=Treat+Dispensing&ct3=[/url] They seem like they'd be tough to chew apart, but if yours is going through a black Kong, then???? Good luck. [:)]
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 9:01:39 PM EDT
I don't bother with anything anymore. In two weeks time he can chew down just about anything and then tries to swallow it. He loves to tug on rope, but only at specific times of the day. No rawhide what so ever! I didn't realize we had so many pit owners on the board. Where is EricE? : )
Top Top