Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/16/2005 7:08:30 PM EDT
Of Blacks!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just because the Gun registry did not stop crime and they keep gettign shot and killed...

www.canada.com/national/nationalpost/news/toronto/story.html?id=5ec18599-9a1e-4a39-bd35-25de0df9aefd

August 15, 2005

CREDIT: Global TV
Scarborough Centre councillor Michael Thompson

TORONTO -- A Toronto city councillor is floating a controversial idea on curbing gun violence in the city.

Michael Thompson says police should be allowed to "target" young black men at random as part of a crackdown on guns.

Thompson, who is black, says a large percentage of the guns being utilized and a large number of people being killed are in the black community, so there's a need to target people in the community.

But Thompson adds that he is not calling for police to pull people over just because they're black, but because gun violence is affecting the black community.

Deputy police chief Keith Forde, who is also black, says chief Bill Blair would "never, ever agree to that."

There have been 30 gun-related deaths in Toronto among the 44 homicides in the city so far this year.

In a new effort to reduce violence in the city, Blair announced yesterday he is reassigning 100 officers to uniform duty.

They will join street patrol officers and provide a bridge until 96 recruits graduate from police college next month.

Blair redeployed 50 officers to a problem area in the northwest section of the city earlier this month.

Nice bit of backpedaling there........
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:15:45 PM EDT
Repeat after me...

Gun control isn't about GUNS it's about CONTROL.

"Oh, we've restricted/banned guns and for some strange reason people keep killing each other so I guess we've now got to start controling people instead. Oh, and as for all those restrictions/bans on guns that didn't work... we're keeping them anyway and doing the people control thing as well. Have a nice day."
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:21:50 PM EDT
I know all that, the choir and all..... I just find it funny that the only real place in this country that keeps getting this badly chewed up by gunfire is the palce that pushed all the gun laws (at least a good chunk of central Canada did) is the one group to keep whining about it not working, the West knows it does not work, compliance is in the crapper in the West, and we own more firearms than the East and Central Canada do, we also have less gang banger gun crap happen, some does, but not as bad (last week there was a multiple stabbing at a wedding, the gangs here use knives more than gun, maybe they will ban pointy knives next? oh wait, that si England)

Originally Posted By Airwolf:
Repeat after me...

Gun control isn't about GUNS it's about CONTROL.

"Oh, we've restricted/banned guns and for some strange reason people keep killing each other so I guess we've now got to start controling people instead. Oh, and as for all those restrictions/bans on guns that didn't work... we're keeping them anyway and doing the people control thing as well. Have a nice day."

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:25:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TacticalPenguin:

Michael Thompson says police should be allowed to "target" young black men at random as part of a crackdown on guns.

TacticalPenguin,

I left Canada after high school. As embarrasing at this is, I don't know exactly what rights people have in regards to being detained/searched for no reason up there. I do know that if a police officer in the U.S. detains you that they have the right to perform a Terry frisk to check for weapons for 'officer safety'. But an officer can't just walk up to a black man and start searching him for weapons for no other reason than they are black (or white or any other color).

Are the police allowed to target blacks and search them for weapons for no other reason than they are black? Is there an equivalent of the U.S.' Fourth Amendment rights? Sadly, it wouldn't shock me to find out that they can in fact do this.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:27:28 PM EDT

<snip> and we own more firearms than the East and Central Canada do <snip>

Care to provide the stats / text / any shred of proof / information to back up your claim?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:33:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AILapua:

Care to provide the stats / text / any shred of proof / information to back up your claim?

Per capita I wouldn't doubt it. And no, I don't have a link for you.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:54:28 PM EDT

www.guncontrol.ca/Content/TheCaseForGunControl.html

They have some nice tables that show percentage per province, though they are anitgun site it may not be that accurate, though it seems accurate enough, the only way to get a count on that would be by going through the CFO for the Province or Territory in question
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:20:02 PM EDT

www.guncontrol.ca/Content/TheCaseForGunControl.html

They have some nice tables that show percentage per province, though they are anitgun site it may not be that accurate, though it seems accurate enough, the only way to get a count on that would be by going through the CFO for the Province or Territory in question

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:18:36 AM EDT
He asked for tables of proof and did not come back to look at them, I ma sad now

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:19:49 AM EDT
I thought Toronto was Paradise.

Zero crime, no locked doors, leave you baby in the stroller outside while you shop, et.....
Top Top