Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2013 12:38:19 PM EDT
Anyone here ever tear thier meniscus? I did on memorial day this year. Went to the doc, got it confirmed on an MRI.
Its gotten progressively better - started off with crutches and alot of pain to barely noticing and discomfort in 7 weeks.

To my surprise the doc said - hey its up to you wether to 'scope it or not. 4 weeks ago he told me to wait a bit and see
how it feels before deciding. Have any of you guys torn your meniscus and NOT had it surgically repaired? If so, please
let me know how you made out...
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:47:25 PM EDT

Quoted:

Anyone here ever tear thier meniscus? I did on memorial day this year. Went to the doc, got it confirmed on an MRI.

Its gotten progressively better - started off with crutches and alot of pain to barely noticing and discomfort in 7 weeks.

To my surprise the doc said - hey its up to you wether to 'scope it or not. 4 weeks ago he told me to wait a bit and see

how it feels before deciding. Have any of you guys torn your meniscus and NOT had it surgically repaired? If so, please

View Quote
Been doing therapy for my torn meniscus since 6-11.

Still having pain and knee lock when i really use the knee.

2 more weeks and than will get a referral to knee doc.

Other knee is showing sings now of a tear.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:55:43 PM EDT
My Wife tore hers a little over a year ago falling in the shower after my brother squeezed off a few rounds out of his AR next to my house....She had a immobilizer on and was on crutches for a couple months. She slowly started putting weight on it and moving it and it got better....in the last few months she had started doing un weighted squats and was doing fine..........2 weeks ago she slipped on some water at work and hurt the other knee. The doctor thinks she might have tore her meniscus on that knee(waiting on MRI)......
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:20:31 PM EDT
Quoted:

View Quote

Tore mine had it fixed and then tore the other side. it all depends on how much pain you are in. sometimes it will feel fine and dandy until that little flap flips up and then you are in a bunch of pain till it goes back to where it was.

The drawback in having it done is that they take out part of the meniscus that pads the joint, so your knee is going to wear out sooner. I'm 34 and probably will have to have a total knee replacement in the next 10 years (atleast that is what the dr says).

if it doesn't hurt all the time I would not have it done

ETD: it is not something that will heal, it will always be torn so it is just a matter of whether or not it is causing problems and pain or not. You are more likely though to injure it worse down the road if it is not fixed (think of it like a tear in a couch cushion, it may be small now but something can catch on it and tear it way worse)
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:22:02 PM EDT
Destroyed my meniscus mid 2011.

Had scope surgery.

Knee is still fucked up.

Hope you have better results OP.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:22:12 PM EDT
I tore my acl and miniscus at tbe same time. I had to have my miniscus operated on as it protruded between my leg bones and bound them up with much pain. I got the thing sutured and stayed off it for three weeks. I got dvt and that sucked. My miniscus is also good now. Still no acl though...

The take away? Beware dvt.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:24:35 PM EDT
In the middle of ignoring mine now. I had surgery scheduled last week, but had to cancel. It's not too bad, aches occasionally. I'll have it done eventually.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:24:55 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Had scope surgery.

Knee is still fucked up.

View Quote

Different date, same story.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:26:11 PM EDT

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Had scope surgery.

Knee is still fucked up.

They also did a "lateral release" of my kneecap, did a bunch of shit under the kneecap and all that too... But, my meniscus area still locks up and gives me a LOT of problems.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:28:22 PM EDT
OP, did they give you any details of the tear?  The type makes a difference in treatment/prognosis.

I had a "bucket handle" tear when I was 25.  Careful with it for a few weeks and it progressively improved.  Basically, with that type of tear it can lay back down flat and heal up.  If the flap gets in a bind or tears more then you are looking at a surgical intervention.

I am now 38 and have no problems with the knee.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:28:58 PM EDT
I tore mind back in 1990.    It gave me a little bit of trouble for a few years, as in: I was a human barometer.  No problems now though.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:29:48 PM EDT
They'll go in and "clean up" the tear and that's about it. It'll take months to heal, but you'll always feel it. It might not hurt, but you can feel where the meniscus is missing in the knee. Tore mine in May of 2007 and also tore my ACL as well as the lower leg bone was fractured.

Had to wait two months for the leg to heal enough to do the meniscus and ACL repair. 3 months of therapy and back to work. Just this month my knee has startd popping very loudly with every step though with no pain. I'm just waiting for it to blow out again.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:30:13 PM EDT
I had my torn meniscus scoped. Had the inside of my patella smoothed out too. 100% now. It did take some work though.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:30:35 PM EDT
Quoted:
OP, did they give you any details of the tear?  The type makes a difference in treatment/prognosis.

I had a "bucket handle" tear when I was 25.  Careful with it for a few weeks and it progressively improved.  Basically, with that type of tear it can lay back down flat and heal up.  If the flap gets in a bind or tears more then you are looking at a surgical intervention.

I am now 38 and have no problems with the knee.
View Quote

This.  If its more lateral, youre better off as that section is more vascular.  Medial injuries are not and typically require surgery.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:31:18 PM EDT
Tore mine when I was deployed in '11. Finally got around to a repair in Feb. They trimmed done cartilage and then put four dissolving clips in, drilled some holes to promote blood flow. I am not 100 percent, but much better than I was. Still favor it a bit, but am starting to run a little on it. Good luck to you.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:33:04 PM EDT
Quoted:

View Quote

Tore mine, but not all the way, skiing in 1996.   Think of a bundle of wires where just a few of the strands have been torn away from the others.  

From time to time, the torn parts will swell and get caught in the knee joint as it pivots.   This drops you to the floor immediately, its quite fascinating.

I have considered getting it repaired, and had quite a lot of trouble with it in 2010.   Then I lost about 50 pounds and at ideal weight it has not gotten "stressed" and inflamed, and hence, has not gotten to the point where the damaged tissue gets caught in the joint.  

A few weeks ago I did a 15 mile hike with no problems.  

If you're over weight, lose some pounds before you decide on surgery.  There is ridiculous stress on that part particularly as you walk and pivot.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:41:43 PM EDT

Quoted:

Had scope surgery.

Knee is still fucked up.

View Quote
torn meniscus in both knees for over 20 years

no surgery, deal with it
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:43:26 PM EDT
Tripped and tore mine in June and cracked my kneecap when I hit the pavement. Have been going to physical therapy a couple weeks now and it's working much better. Doc says if it continues to improve and doesn't cause pain or immobility it'll be fine..unless it happens again.  

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:03:43 PM EDT
Tore both, had one operated and then decided not to do the other one. Recovery was about 6 months, and even a year later I still had to be ginger with it.

The one I didn't have fixed is okay now about 80% of the time, but I never know when it will go wonky on me. But with both of them torn I was getting to the point of being a crip. Just getting one fixed took the load off the other one or something and helped a lot.

I've heard that you might end up having to get a knee fixed more than once, so I figured as long as I can stand it why bother.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:30:03 PM EDT
Tore my medial meniscus in March and I'm scheduled for surgery next Monday.

I used to play baseball weekly (as a catcher) and basketball 3 times per week.  Since the injury I haven't been able to do any of this due to the pain.  Although it has felt really good the last 3 weeks, I know I'm always one very slight misstep from having ridiculous pain for a few weeks.

On a side note, since I haven't been able to work our for a few months I've gained a bunch of weight.  Something about eating the same diet but ceasing exercise is bad.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:36:31 PM EDT
Meniscus ? You don't even knowus.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:56:40 PM EDT

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Had scope surgery.

Knee is still fucked up.

no surgery, deal with it

What job were you doing at the time that allowed you to deal with it?

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:08:11 PM EDT
"If it ain't broke don't fix it" The literature suggests conservative treatment  first ie. rehab/exercise. If it is locking or giving out surgery may be in order.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:51:14 PM EDT
I went the surgery route. Went to a good sports ortho. Piece of cake compared to ACL reconstruction.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:56:55 AM EDT
Thanks to all of you for taking the time to reply about your experiences. I really can't believe how good it feels when 7 weeks ago
I was in a lot of pain and was certain I would have the surgery. I need to start back up on some physical activity soon to see how it
will react. I know my weight had to have played a part (I'm 5'9" and 240) so I think I'll start with cycling to avoid pounding the knee
and go from there.

Obviously like most of you I still feel "something" in my knee especially when I walk a long ways or take the 6 flights of stairs leading
outta the subway going to and from work. I think I'll give it a couple of months and then decide whether or not to scope it. Thanks again
fellas...very much appreciated. E
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:01:16 AM EDT
I tore one but did have surgery.....it didn't heal after the tear and got progressively worse until I couldn't walk. Two days after surgery I was up without crutches, fishing on my friends boat....a few weeks later I was jogging.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:17:56 AM EDT
I've torn them in both knees.  This is the second time on my right knee.  I went in back in Feb. got a shot of cortisone and started taking mylocsycam<sic> and ended up with a allergic reaction to one of them.  Hives everywhere.  

Right now I'm limping around, waiting for it to slow down alittle until I reschedule w/ the doctor to get an scope.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:28:55 AM EDT
Lot of people eventually end up needing surgery for this.  Try your best not to injure the knee again is the best advice I have heard, good luck in the healing process.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:31:49 AM EDT
Tore mine---decided to help it and lose weight first. Every so oftern it flares up for a couple of days--then it goes away for months.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:35:17 AM EDT

Quoted:
no surgery, deal with it
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Had scope surgery.

Knee is still fucked up.

no surgery, deal with it

I am a tile contractor, have been since the 70's, 90% of all tile work is on your knees. I did not tear them both at the exact same time, rather they both were torn and could go wonky at will if I made the wrong move.

When kneeling and twisting to one side or the other my knees will "dislocate" requiring straightening the leg and extending the calf muscle to get it back in position. This should be done quickly as the longer it is out the more the calf tightens up making it harder to get back. The first couple of hundred times hurt like hell but after that you get used to it, during sex is the worst time for a knee to go out, not good. Also had both pop out at the same time once, you are pretty much fucked then if you are alone.

ETA:  Also the best knee guy in the State told me at the time that I would just tear them again if they were repaired. I have had both knees drained many times and cortisone injections help a little. What really helped was hiring people to wear out their knees so I could stay off mine.

I am 6'1" most I weighed was 216 around the time I tore them.

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 7:38:53 AM EDT
Quoted:

I am a tile contractor, have been since the 70's, 90% of all tile work is on your knees. I did not tear them both at the exact same time, rather they both were torn and could go wonky at will if I made the wrong move.

When kneeling and twisting to one side or the other my knees will "dislocate" requiring straightening the leg and extending the calf muscle to get it back in position. This should be done quickly as the longer it is out the more the calf tightens up making it harder to get back. The first couple of hundred times hurt like hell but after that you get used to it, during sex is the worst time for a knee to go out, not good. Also had both pop out at the same time once, you are pretty much fucked then if you are alone.

ETA:  Also the best knee guy in the State told me at the time that I would just tear them again if they were repaired. I have had both knees drained many times and cortisone injections help a little. What really helped was hiring people to wear out their knees so I could stay off mine.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Had scope surgery.

Knee is still fucked up.

no surgery, deal with it

LOL
An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.

If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.