Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/22/2006 6:37:22 AM EDT
Looks like I might have one, may need surgery. I was planning on joining back up with the Guard and trying to get into OCS this fall after I got out of college. Anybody know about standards for knee problems?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:15:56 AM EDT
I wouldn't imagine that you would be disqualified unless the injury was what caused you to get out, and it evidently was not. I strongly suggest that if you have the surgery that you allow it to completely heal and do all of your physical therapy. I can't stress this enough. I was supposed to have my shoulders cut on 7 years ago, but lots of good PT (physical therapy) has allowed me to avoid surgery. While you will probably not have the same luck with your ACL, I would bet that post-surgery PT will be even more important. Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:36:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/22/2006 8:37:28 AM EDT by pevrs114]
Another squad leader in my platoon blew out his ACL on duty. Got it fixed, and is still on light duty, almost a year later. He is a full time technician at Pickett. I can give you his contact info if you PM me.

He didn't get separated, though. I know that separation standards are less strict than enlistment standards, might want to check the reg. I think it's AR 40-501 Standards of Medical Fitness.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:38:30 AM EDT
Good luck, I broke my jaw last fall playing lacrosse for the Illini and now have to skip this summer for PLC for the Marines. Next summer though will be my time.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:00:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/24/2006 12:33:32 AM EDT by fenriz]
I tore my left MCL and severed by left ACL. I'd highly recommend completing all of your physical therapy. I didn't and I still have problems with it today (almost 6 years later). As long as you can still pass the physical requirements it should not become an issue.
Top Top