Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2013 3:31:39 PM EDT
I received my first torch lighter today.
It was in a bundle deal from Cigar.com, 10 Nub cigars and a Xikar lighter.

I have a few questions.

Can you use any brand butane, or do you have to buy Xikar brand?..........not sure if the fill port is standardized or not!!

Does it have a battery that can be replaced, or once the battery dies you gotta buy a new lighter?

Any other pointers would be helpful.

I did a search and didn't find anything!!
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 3:33:44 PM EDT
Just use triple filtered fuel and you will be fine.
And they don't have batteries...striker fired.

Echo
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 1:12:34 PM EDT
And most modern lighters have universal fill ports. Ive never had to use any of the goofy plastic adapters.
Xicar, Vector, anything that's at least triple filtered.

And be careful with your torch. Dont turn the foot of your cigars into charcoal with it
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 3:36:44 AM EDT
Vector Quintuplus is your friend
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:00:36 PM EDT
Xikar has a lifetime warranty on everything they sell, so no matter what is wrong with it any Xikar dealer will replace the lighter for you.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:58:12 PM EDT
I picked up some colibri fuel on sale, works great. Basically as long as it isn't Ronson, you'll be gtg.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 2:18:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By trickyasafox:
I picked up some colibri fuel on sale, works great. Basically as long as it isn't Ronson, you'll be gtg.

So wouldn't ya know the Wife picked up some Ronson!!!.........she had no idea, and neither did I
Link Posted: 2/20/2013 2:18:33 PM EDT
Originally Posted By EchoAngel17:
Just use triple filtered fuel and you will be fine.
And they don't have batteries...striker fired.

Echo

Link Posted: 3/15/2013 12:20:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/15/2013 12:21:32 PM EDT by wildearp]
I just got a new Colibri and had some issues, so those in this thread may benefit from my recent experience.

After filling, it would not light consistently and I had inconsistent flame. Some new lighters can have an air pocket when not purged and the air blocks the gas. Some have a purge vent, mine did not. After a part fill, you take a pointed object, I used forceps, invert the lighter, and release air. Fill again, release air, etc. Eventually you can easily over fill, especially without a fill window....this is evidenced by liquid seepage. Now with an over fill, again, it will not light consistently until it runs off a bit. Now it seems to work fairly well.

Does this sound about right to the more experienced folks?

Some instructions also said to shake the fuel can.....
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 4:43:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ex_dsmr:
And most modern lighters have universal fill ports. Ive never had to use any of the goofy plastic adapters.
Xicar, Vector, anything that's at least triple filtered.

And be careful with your torch. Dont turn the foot of your cigars into charcoal with it

i have to use the adapter for my Xikar it is a soft flame butane
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 2:30:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By wildearp:

Do not shake the can, that mixes the fuel with the pressure gas and you get air in the lighter and have the same issues. Just turn the can upside down and start the fill.
I made the mistake before by shaking the can real good before the fill and only would have maybe enough fuel for one cigar lighting. Guy at the B&W store told me what I was doing wrong. Also, if the lighter is completely out of fuel, press on the fuel port to release all the air before re-filling.

Lighter experts, this sounds correct, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 8:54:09 AM EDT
I'm no expert, but I throw my lighter in the freezer for a few minutes before I fill it. seems to help it take more fluid. I also do not shake the can.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 10:40:33 AM EDT
Originally Posted By wildearp:
I just got a new Colibri and had some issues, so those in this thread may benefit from my recent experience.

After filling, it would not light consistently and I had inconsistent flame. Some new lighters can have an air pocket when not purged and the air blocks the gas. Some have a purge vent, mine did not. After a part fill, you take a pointed object, I used forceps, invert the lighter, and release air. Fill again, release air, etc. Eventually you can easily over fill, especially without a fill window....this is evidenced by liquid seepage. Now with an over fill, again, it will not light consistently until it runs off a bit. Now it seems to work fairly well.

Does this sound about right to the more experienced folks?

In my experience, (five or so,) Colibri lighters are junk. No mater how much or little you pay for one, the quality of materials and build quality are horrible. I'm using a Xikar lighter now and so far after 8 mos or so it's going strong plus they have a lifetime warranty. I have a Zippo Blu that stopped working after two-years, Zippo would replace/fix according to their warranty but I have taken the time to do so.

Honestly, I'm of the opinion that all torch lighters suck long term. Even guys with DuPonts report problems after a couple of years. The $10 special once a year or so is probably the better option.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:27:16 PM EDT
I agree Colibri is crap, I've never had one last for shit. I don't have a Xikar torch, but I do ave their EX wind proof soft flame. I was given a Black Ops tripe flame that is working well so far. For me the best bang or the buck is a Lotus Vertigo. For $20 they have served me well.
Top Top