Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2006 5:25:20 PM EDT
Sheesh- UMass is only at #7? Sure seemed like party animal central when I was a grad student there oh so many years ago....

UMass No. 7 in nation for partying; Wellesley stays sober
By The Associated Press  |  August 21, 2006

Here is a list of the top party schools and most "Stone Cold Sober" schools as they will appear in the Princeton Review's 2007 edition of "The Best 361 Colleges." The lists were compiled through a survey of 115,000 students at the colleges included in the book.

Top 10 Party Schools

1. University of Texas at Austin

2. Penn State University

3. West Virginia University

4. University of Wisconsin-Madison

5. University of Mississippi

6. Ohio University

7. University of Massachusetts-Amherst

8. Louisiana State University

9. University of Iowa

10. University of California, Santa Barbara

Top 10 "Stone Cold Sober" Schools

1. Brigham Young University

2. Wheaton College

3. College of the Ozarks

4. Grove City College

5. U.S. Naval Academy

6. U.S. Coast Guard Academy

7. U.S. Air Force Academy

8. Queens College

9. Wellesley College

10. Calvin College

Source: The Princeton Review

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:36:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Heh, those dumbasses at Grove City wanted me to play football for them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:38:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Where is University of Colorado Boulder?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#3]
If only I had known this when picking where to go....
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:42:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Berkeley, CA
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:05:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Huh-I always thought Slippery Rock State College in PA or somewhere was the Ultimate Party School.....
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:11:18 PM EDT
[#6]
WTH?

Why isn't Oral Roberts on the "stone cold sober" list?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:14:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Why the predominance of Universities? Smaller colleges aren't considered serious party candidates anymore?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:30:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Sheesh- UMass is only at #7? Sure seemed like party animal central when I was a grad student there oh so many years ago....

Here is a list of the top party schools and most "Stone Cold Sober" schools as they will appear in the Princeton Review's 2007 edition of "The Best 361 Colleges." The lists were compiled through a survey of 115,000 students at the colleges included in the book.

Top 10 Party Schools

2. Penn State University

6. Ohio University

9. University of Iowa

2. Wheaton College

3. College of the Ozarks

4. Grove City College

5. U.S. Naval Academy

8. Queens College

9. Wellesley College

10. Calvin College

Hotty Toddy, Motherfucker!!
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:31:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Why the predominance of Universities? Smaller colleges aren't considered serious party candidates anymore?

I went to Westfield State College in MA for my undergrad degree. Lots of stupid,  drunken frat boys and their airhead women. Lots more of rapes, break-ins, fights, car thefts, vandalism, etc.

Later it turned out the majority of the crimes were committed by people majoring in  Criminal Justice......

No wonder we called it "Wastefield Straight"......

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:34:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Yeeeeehaaaa, I went to Penn State U/P campus in Happy Valley. Best 5-years of my life! Laid more pipe than the Centre County Water Commission. God I miss those days.

Going up there 1st week of Sept to see the game.....and shoot my PS90 at their awesome 200-yard outdoor range.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:38:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Yeeeeehaaaa, I went to Penn State U/P campus in Happy Valley. Best 57-years of my life!

You talking about Scotia range?   You know that you can only have 3 rounds in a rifle at that range and 6 rounds in a pistol?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:41:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Top 10 Party Schools

TEXAS!!!................................................................................FIGHT!!!
TEXAS!!!................................................................................FIGHT!!!

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#13]
IU used to be on the top a few years ago - they're slipping.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#14]
These stats change depending on where the author went to school.

I went to Western Illinois.

Everyone there swore it was the party school of the nation.

I actually had a textbook that referenced that "fact".

But give me a break....  Macomb, Illinois...   farm town USA... Party school of the nation???

Yea, right.

Although I'll never forget the ATO party where my cup was #478, and there was a
LONG line behind me waiting to get in.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:52:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Florida State's not on the list....WTF??!......
........oh yeah, I left a couple years ago.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:53:54 PM EDT
[#16]
No Florida schools?

Oh, how the mighty have fallen....
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:55:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Florida State's not on the list....WTF??!......

........oh yeah, I left a couple years ago.

+1

(ah, the good ol days)
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:02:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Top 10 Party Schools

2. Penn State University

6. Ohio University

9. University of Iowa

2. Wheaton College

3. College of the Ozarks

4. Grove City College

5. U.S. Naval Academy

8. Queens College

9. Wellesley College

10. Calvin College

Um I think I helped out a bit getting this ranking
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:04:31 PM EDT
[#19]
is this from the playboy party school poll?

back in the late 70's/early 80's, west virginia university was #1 for something like 9 years in a row, and university students wore it as a badge of honor--remember, this is  a school known for  tearing down the goal posts and setting the town on fire after a big win!  if you were driving down the street and saw a burning couch sitting out in front of a frat house, you wouldn't even blink.

anyway, one year the poll came out and WVU was nowhere to be found.  wtf? everyone wondered.  some texas school had taken over the number one spot and it had an asterisk beside the school name.  if you looked at the bottom of the poll, there was a note that read:  "sorry WVU, this is an amature poll--professionals are disqualified"

let the couches burn , baby!
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:06:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Actually, I think that 'Playboy's' rankings are more noteworthy.  Who the heck cares about 'Princeton's' rankings?  It's a deception attempting to suggest that it is related to Princenton University.  

Playboy's Top 10 Party Schools
Last year, SIonCampus published a preview version of Playboy's Top 10 Party Schools. Turns out they got it mostly right.

2006 Top 10 Party Schools - Playboy

1. Wisconsin
2. UC - Santa Barbara
3. Arizona State University
4. Indiana University
5. San Diego State University
6. Florida State University
7. Ohio University
8. University of Georgia
9. University of Tennessee
10. McGill University (Canada)

Playboy celebrated the third edition of their Party School list by showcasing co-eds from the 'honored' institutions in the May 2006 edition. (Hey, what did you expect 'em to do?!)

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:14:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Sorry guys, but the #1 party school in THE NATION is  UNIVERSITY of WYOMING.   The reason it isn't listed is because comparing UW to the rest is like comparing a professional to a bunch of amateurs
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:17:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Um I think I helped out a bit getting this ranking

I was in Madison for Halloween last year. Ya'll deserve a place on the list, for damn sure. Holy shit, you more than earned it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:20:12 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

back in the late 70's/early 80's, west virginia university was #1 for something like 9 years in a row, and university students wore it as a badge of honor--remember, this is  a school known for  tearing down the goal posts and setting the town on fire after a big win!  if you were driving down the street and saw a burning couch sitting out in front of a frat house, you wouldn't even blink.

anyway, one year the poll came out and WVU was nowhere to be found.  wtf? everyone wondered.  some texas school had taken over the number one spot and it had an asterisk beside the school name.  if you looked at the bottom of the poll, there was a note that read:  "sorry WVU, this is an amature poll--professionals are disqualified"

www.snopes.com/college/admin/playboy.asp
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:23:51 PM EDT
[#24]
LOL, my brother goes to Queens College.  There's more life in a can of SPAM.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:25:33 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As I said, I won't post a link to Playboy's website, but you can see it for yourself with a simple search.  Whether Playboy conducted the survey's themselves, or paid for a 3rd party to do it, I respect their endorsement.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Well, bcak in 1985 I went to SIU  Carbondale for one year! Then I came back home and got a real education. The parties back then were out of control, especially at Halloween. A guy in one of my classes caught a full bear can in the eye. It fractured his skull around the orbit. They have done alot to clean up the image of SIU since then.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:36:59 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I'm surprised it didn't make the list, too.

I didn't go to school there, but I partied up there quite a bit in my younger days.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:39:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Wheaton Bible College parties harder than all those.

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:53:34 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh-I always thought Slippery Rock State College in PA or somewhere was the Ultimate Party School.....

Not entirely sure, but I don't think it would have been Slippery Rock. IUP, Indiana Univerity of Pennsylvania was more likely the one. Everyone knew anyone who chose to go there from my high school wasn't going for the academics.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:54:12 PM EDT
[#30]
I graduated from The University of Texas at Austin.  UT.  (Nobody there calls it "Texas".)

But, I was an engineering major.  I watched the air heads sitting on the grass for a day or two to get Linda Ronstadt tickets...from in the library.  

I spent every night studying in the library, all day Saturday and Half a day Sunday.  Even went to the new library in the "education" building to study because nobody used it.  But if they were there all they did was talk and ruin the quiet.

There was a nice, open, sort of living room place in the Jester Monster Dorm.  I tried to study there but you couldn't when minority "students" were there.  They never studied but played a card game where the person who slams the cards down the hardest and loudest wins.  Their course of study was schol-pro after one semester and enforced academic withdrawl after the second semester.  

That was the UT party school in the 70's.  Yeah, vector calculus sure was a hoot.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 10:23:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Ohio University student here....

I have nothing to take as a baseline but drinking is a huge part of the campus life here.

Thirsty Thursday, very few classes on Friday to sleep off the hangovers, it's ridiculous.

Can you imagine why Freshman retention has been dropping?

I drink in moderation, with friends, and avoid the bar scene like the plague.

No use in getting stabbed by an overzealous drunken fratboy when you insult his intellect.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 10:41:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 10:46:27 PM EDT
[#33]
I always wanted to go to Berkley and just fire up the Weber kettle grill in the middle of the quad and throw a bunch of steaks on it.  Just to see the reaction from the vegans.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 12:57:27 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm real suprised Michigan State is not on the list. Sparty onnnnn...
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 1:06:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Where the hell is UVM on that list?  The couple times I've been up there it was almost close to anarchy there were so many parties.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 4:35:42 AM EDT
[#36]
I have a grad degree from UT.  A whole lot depends on which college you are in, but ulitmately it depends on weather or not you want an education.  Parts of the business school can be pretty serious - but I lived with enough stoned and drugged out hippies to understand why Austin is on top of the list.  If you are not a hippy or a frat boy, you probably can actually get an education at UT.

My undergrad was from SWT (formerly #1 on playboys list).  Same thing there, except I just did not have to deal with the frat boys or drugged out hippies as much.  Only lived with 2 of them there.

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 10:07:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Excuse me but, exactly WTF is a "Party School"? What does that mean?
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 10:08:35 AM EDT
[#38]
dupe
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 10:37:18 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

That there is a local community that can provide you with a large supply of alcohol and you can slump your way through BS majors such as "Adventure Recreation" on Mommy and Daddy's tab while living the college life of debauchery and all that stuff.

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 10:48:43 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That there is a local community that can provide you with a large supply of alcohol and you can slump your way through BS majors such as "Adventure Recreation" on Mommy and Daddy's tab while living the college life of debauchery and all that stuff.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. So, going to "party school" has very little to do with getting yourself truly educated? Ergo, you are in "school" for some reason other than to learn? Most folks think "educated" means being able to get a job. What thinks you?
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:09:36 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not entirely sure, but I don't think it would have been Slippery Rock. (snip)

Well, acc. to some surveys years ago it was certainly up there in the Party Hearty Dept. .....

Prior to 2002, Playboy had compiled such a list only once. They gave their reason for reprising this feature in 2002 as:

Campus legend has it that Playboy does a yearly ranking of America's top party schools. Truth is, we haven't done such a roundup since 1987, when we tagged Cal State-Chico the craziest campus in the nation. Chico has had bragging rights for 15 years, causing students to binge with pride while parents and administrators have dried out fraternities and sororities and canceled Halloween. Some students have sent us e-mails that say "Don't you dare say Chico State. I'm sick of having to defend it. It's all because of your article 15 years ago!" Why do another ranking now? The kids demanded it, our public relations department is bombarded with calls from students who wonder where their schools rank. We wanted to hear what goes down on campus — the good, the bad and blurry — in your own words, more than 1500 of you wrote. These are your stories.

The 2002 list read as follows:

01.   Arizona State
02.   California State University, Chico
03.   Rollins
04.   Louisiana State
05.   West Virginia
06.   Colorado
07.   Wisconsin
08.   Connecticut
09.   Kansas
10.   San Diego State
11.   Georgia
12.   Ohio State
13.   Iowa State  14.   Florida State
15.   Colorado State
16.   Florida
17.   Tulane
18.   Washington State
19.   East Carolina
20.   Michigan State
21.   Mississippi
22.   University of California, Santa Barbara
23.   Lehigh
24.   Vanderbilt
25.   James Madison

Honorable Mentions: Miami of Ohio, Ohio University, Colgate, Penn State, Pitt, Southern Illinois, Slippery Rock, Tennessee, Texas, and Dayton.  

The information for Playboy's 1987 list of party schools was compiled in 1986 from the reports of Playboy staffers who interviewed campus club leaders, dorm rush chairmen, fraternity presidents and other campus social studs at more than 250 schools nationwide.

The 1987 list read as follows:

01.   California State University, Chico
02.   University of Miami, Coral Gables
03.   San Diego State University, San Diego
04.   University of Vermont, Burlington
05.   Slippery Rock University, Pennsylvania
06.   University of Connecticut, Storrs
07.   West Virginia University, Morgantown
08.   Plymouth State College, Plymouth, New Hampshire
09.   Mercer University, Macon, Georgia
10.   University of Virginia, Charlottesville
11.   State University of New York, Cortland
12.   Colorado State University, Fort Collins
13.   Arizona State University, Tempe
14.   University of Nevada, Las Vegas
15.   Boston University, Boston
16.   Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant
17.   Southern Illinois University, Carbondale
18.   Ball State University, Muncie, Indiana
19.   Oklahoma State University, Stillwater
20.   Central Connecticut State University, New Britain  21.   University of Maryland, College Park
22.   University of Mississippi, Oxford
23.   West Georgia College, Carrollton
24.   University of Texas, Austin
25.   Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge
26.   University of Kansas, Lawrence
27.   Kansas State University, Manhattan
28.   Glassboro State College, Glassboro, New Jersey
29.   University of Florida, Gainesville
30.   Eastern Kentucky University, Richmond
31.   University of Iowa, Iowa City
32.   University of Oklahoma, Norman
33.   Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island
34.   Ohio University, Athens
35.   University of Massachusetts at Amherst
36.   University of Georgia, Athens
37.   Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge
38.   University of Missouri/Rolla
39.   Reed College, Portland, Oregon
40.   Fairhaven College, Bellingham, Washington

Honorable Mentions: Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Colorado at Boulder, Columbia, Dartmouth, Georgetown, Iowa State, Kent State, Michigan State, Penn State, Purdue, Rhode Island, Rutgers, Tennessee at Knoxville, Trinity College.  

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:11:09 PM EDT
[#42]
#8 Baby!
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:22:46 PM EDT
[#43]
"Michigan State University will no longer be included in our annual top party schools, because we feel it is unfair to include professionals on a list of amateurs."
-Playboy magazine
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:11:25 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
These stats change depending on where the author went to school.

I went to Western Illinois.

Everyone there swore it was the party school of the nation.

I actually had a textbook that referenced that "fact".

But give me a break....  Macomb, Illinois...   farm town USA... Party school of the nation???

Yea, right.

Although I'll never forget the ATO party where my cup was #478, and there was a
LONG line behind me waiting to get in.  

WIU was a crazy party school in the 70s. That sort of died down once it focused on law enforcement as its bread and butter. Now Southern Illinois is the party school. They have to close campus during Halloween for no reason other than it gets too crazy with drinking and vandalism.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:19:20 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Top 10 Party Schools

2. Penn State University

6. Ohio University

9. University of Iowa

2. Wheaton College

3. College of the Ozarks

4. Grove City College

5. U.S. Naval Academy

8. Queens College

9. Wellesley College

10. Calvin College

Hotty Toddy, Motherfucker!!

Got my tickets for the Auburn game today!  Ole Miss By Damn!
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:23:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Go Penn State.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top