Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2004 12:00:30 PM EDT
10.  .97 cents a box mac and cheese is a gourmet

9.  You buy .10 cent packages of ramen noodles and eat them twice a day.

8.  You ride you bicycle to work cause you can't afford gas

7.  On the way home from work on your bicycle you go by all the local drive throughs and pick up the fallen change.

6.  You haven't gone shooting in a long time cause you can't afford ammo

5.  You have to decide on what to buy, food or textbooks

4.  You have worn the same pants and t shirts since high school cause you can't afford new ones

3.  You're so poor the NRA has stopped calling looking for donations

2.  You take a date out to Taco Bell and think it is good eating

1.  You graduated college and still live with your parents.

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 12:02:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm so poor i cant even pay attention.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 12:03:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
3.  You're so poor the NRA has stopped calling looking for donations

That'll never happen!
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 12:06:07 PM EDT
[#3]

I swore I'd never do that again. Oh well...
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 2:59:25 PM EDT
[#4]
BTTT
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 3:06:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
4.  You have worn the same pants and t shirts since high school cause you can't afford new ones

Hey!

I wear the same pants and t-shirts since high school because they're finally comfortable! Sure, some of the t-shirts are a bit "holey" by now...but a couple of the pairs of jeans still survive!

I was the only person at my 10 year reunion who looked exactily the same as they day they graduated

Minus long hair, plus a couple grey ones, plus a very large beer in one hand...
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 3:10:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
10.  .97 cents a box mac and cheese is a gourmet
6.  You haven't gone shooting in a long time cause you can't afford ammo
5.  You have to decide on what to buy, food or textbooks

Well, that about sums up my life during college. I would include number 2, but I didn't date as I was usually broke.

After graduation, things have improved remarkably.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 3:12:00 PM EDT
[#7]
....not being able to understand a decimal point....    0.97 cents is less than a penny...you mean 0.97 dollars or 97 cents....
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 3:20:44 PM EDT
[#8]
There is nothing on that list that a part time job wouldn't solve.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 3:24:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Easy for you to say...you're shaking down citizens.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 3:24:54 PM EDT
[#10]
The United States Marine Corp is looking for a few good men.

Do you have what it takes to be a Marine?

Find out,in the United states Marine Corps.

Enlist today.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 3:33:26 PM EDT
[#11]
You know you are hurting for money when...

You have to recycle toilet paper..

The only runing water in your house, is the drool from your granddads chin...

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 4:04:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:29:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I work full time and am a full time grad student.  These are just some personal examples and some I've seen friends do to get by.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:30:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Rename this thread, "Top 10 Signs You're Fiscally Retarded".

Here's some ways to knock up your income:

- Cancel your internet. Use a local library
- Cancel your cable
- Use your new found spare time to get a part-time job, even if it's mowing lawns
- Lose the pride... it's holding you back
- Sell your car and buy a used economy car
- Shop around for gas.
- Quit smoking/drinking
- Learn to cut your own hair
- Shop at thrift shops/flea markets/yard sales/wholesale wharehouses
- Buy Ramen by the pallet
- Get rid of your pet
- Take cold showers
- "If it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down"
- Dress warmer and use less energy to heat your house
- Throw yourself in front of a bus
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:31:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Enlist today.

I'm trying.   The medical review board is taking a while to review my physical and medical records.  After I get the boards approval, I have to apply, and get accepted, to OCS.  Hopefully, I'll be living in Quantico in October.  January at the latest.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:41:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Easy for you to say...you're shaking down citizens.

Sgtar15

I work 3 jobs, not including the FFL biz; try again.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:44:05 PM EDT
[#17]
7 of them are true for me.  I wish I was rich instead of so damn good lookin.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:49:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
7 of them are true for me.  I wish I was rich instead of so damn good lookin.

Well I look like hell too

10. .97 cents a box mac and cheese is a gourmet     I got 5 packs velvetta shells for $3 at Sams the box was ripped open

9. You buy .10 cent packages of ramen noodles and eat them twice a day.   I eat the 25cent cups for lunch

8. You ride you bicycle to work cause you can't afford gas    Not yet

7. On the way home from work on your bicycle you go by all the local drive throughs and pick up the fallen change.    Im sure someone has beaten me to it by 8AM

6. You haven't gone shooting in a long time cause you can't afford ammo    I got ammo, gas to range and motivating my self is the problem

5. You have to decide on what to buy, food or textbooks     No need for textbooks

4. You have worn the same pants and t shirts since high school cause you can't afford new ones  That and I hate shopping for clothes

3. You're so poor the NRA has stopped calling looking for donations  Soo poor Im not a momber

2. You take a date out to Taco Bell and think it is good eating     Im still above Taco Bell, but I dont get dates

1. You graduated college and still live with your parents.    Never went
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:15:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Enlist today.

Tried that last week, It seems that even though I am 5"9", 160lbs, in great shape and motivated, the Marine Corp doesn't want me. It seems that I'm too old now, at 31. Now, mind you, If I had asked 6 months ago they'd have taken me in a heartbeat because somehow 30 is 'better'. Fuck em. For the first time in recent history the military is looked upon as "a good thing", they now have many interested people that aren't allowed to serve. Rather than stumble upon military service as a HS grad and figure out life from there, I got a career going. Now I want to join the military because my country needs me and they aren't interested. It deosn't make sense... I'm skilled, motivated, have no wofe or dependants, no health issues et.

Just sucks.

Dave
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:21:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Enlist today.

Tried that last week, It seems that even though I am 5"9", 160lbs, in great shape and motivated, the Marine Corp doesn't want me. It seems that I'm too old now, at 31. Now, mind you, If I had asked 6 months ago they'd have taken me in a heartbeat because somehow 30 is 'better'. Fuck em. For the first time in recent history the military is looked upon as "a good thing", they now have many interested people that aren't allowed to serve. Rather than stumble upon military service as a HS grad and figure out life from there, I got a career going. Now I want to join the military because my country needs me and they aren't interested. It deosn't make sense... I'm skilled, motivated, have no wofe or dependants, no health issues et.

Just sucks.

Dave

the Navy will take you if you are under 34
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:39:55 PM EDT
[#21]

From the college days:

1. Your condiments come in small packets from fast food restaurants.  I had a
   friend grab ketchup packets from McDonalds and then spend about 1/2 hour
   emptying them into a ketchup bottle.
2. You get a part time job in a restaurant so you can get a free/reduced cost food.
3. You often put less than $1.00 worth of  gas into your car.
4. You go to keggers with your own cups to avoid paying. Some local keggers charged entry
   by selling a specific type of cup. You couldn't fill up from the kegs unless you had the right
   color and style of cup. Friend of mine kept large selection of cups in his car's trunk to
   match almost any cup/color combination.
5. You seriously consider selling blood to make ends meet. I had a friend working at a research
   lab and I was offered as much as $50.00 per pint. I have the blood type and food allergy
   combination they were looking for at the time, but I didn't want to hold to their
   required diet.
6. You go to a grocery store shopping while hungry and leave empty handed.
7. You pick up ALL dropped change in the street, even pennies in nasty looking locations.

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 2:05:54 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Enlist today.

Just sucks.

Dave

Go Army.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:09:42 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Rename this thread, "Top 10 Signs You're Fiscally Retarded".

Here's some ways to knock up your income:

- Cancel your internet. Use a local library
- Cancel your cable
- Use your new found spare time to get a part-time job, even if it's mowing lawns
- Lose the pride... it's holding you back
- Sell your car and buy a used economy car
- Shop around for gas.
- Quit smoking/drinking
- Learn to cut your own hair
- Shop at thrift shops/flea markets/yard sales/wholesale wharehouses
- Buy Ramen by the pallet
- Get rid of your pet
- Take cold showers
- "If it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down"
- Dress warmer and use less energy to heat your house
- Throw yourself in front of a bus

EXACHERY!!!!!!!

TXL
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:22:48 AM EDT
[#24]
During spring break one year my buddy and I went to Burger King every day for every meal.  Reason:  they had the 99 cent Whopper special and that's all we could afford.

Seriously, if anyone has financial concerns they should run out and buy (or borrow from the library) a copy of "The Richest Man In Babylon".  It's short and is written as a few stories so it's not dry reading.  It will change your outlook on personal finance.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:26:49 AM EDT
[#25]
LordTrader,

Just an aside,  but WTF are you bothering with Life Insurance for? You have no wife or kids, do you plan on leaving the money to a deserving school or soemthing?  

What Insurance agent talked you into life insurance?  You ought to beat the shit out of him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top