Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2002 3:21:51 PM EDT
Anyone like these guys?  I love their music.  I saw them last night in Denver.  One of the best concerts I have ever been to.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 3:22:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 3:24:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I call it "new age prog rock".

It ain't quite totally heavy, it ain't just rock and roll, it's kinda artsy-fartsy, must be prog rock!  [;)]

They get a spin every so often in my CD player...

the_reject
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 3:34:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw them about 6 months ago in Portland, it was a good show! They played alot of their older stuff.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 3:35:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I saw Tool in '97 (Aenema tour) at the 9:30 Club in D.C.  Pretty small place, probably fits about 2,500.  I was able to get real close.

Absolutely one of the best shows I have ever seen.  (I was at Woodstock in '94, probably seen over 200 shows other than that--all types of artists from Tito Puente, to B.B. King, to Creed, to Soundgarden, Foghat...and many, many others).

Tool is one of the best live bands around, hands down.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 3:38:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Yea,
Me and MM saw TOOL at the Virginia beach amphitheater. I was really dissapointed. The sound sucked and the crowd wasn't feeling it.
TOOL and Staind are my favs but I dought I'll see TOOL again.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 3:47:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I saw them last week in Oakland and last year in Mountain View. If you've only seen them in an outdoor venue you have to see them in an indoor venue. It completely changes the feel of the show.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 3:49:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yea,
Me and MM saw TOOL at the Virginia beach amphitheater. I was really dissapointed. The sound sucked and the crowd wasn't feeling it.
View Quote

Yeah, bad sound can do so much to kill an otherwise great performance.  If you can't hear anything but bass and drums, kind of hard to get an idea if the band is good or not.  

Sad to say, I've been to many an outdoor show with pathetic sound (and a few indoor shows as well).  I've learned to try to reserve judgment on that kind of show.

Also, here's a tip.  Always take along foam earplugs.  Sometimes, even if the sound is bad, the earplugs will filter out some of the harmonics (or whatever) is contributing to the bad sound.  Besides being easier on your ears, you can often hear the whole band BETTER with earplugs than without them.  

I never see a (an amplified) show anymore without them.    
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 3:51:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I call it "new age prog rock".

It ain't quite totally heavy, it ain't just rock and roll, it's kinda artsy-fartsy, must be prog rock!  [;)]

They get a spin every so often in my CD player...

the_reject
View Quote

Not heavy?  I'm sorry, but what do you consider heavy?

As far as Tool goes, I love any band who writes a song about CA falling into the ocean.

From Aenima:
One big circus side show of...

Chorus:
Freaks here in this
hopeless f**cking hole we call L.A.
the only way to fix it
is to flush it all away
Any f**cking time
Any f**cking day
Learn to swim
I'll see you down in Arizona bay

Yeah!

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 3:51:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yea,
View Quote

Yeah, bad sound can do so much to kill an otherwise great performance.  If you can't hear anything but bass and drums, kind of hard to get an idea if the band is good or not.  

Sad to say, I've been to many an outdoor show with pathetic sound (and a few indoor shows as well).  I've learned to try to reserve judgment on that kind of show.

Also, here's a tip.  Always take along foam earplugs.  Sometimes, even if the sound is bad, the earplugs will filter out some of the harmonics (or whatever) is contributing to the bad sound.  Besides being easier on your ears, you can often hear the whole band BETTER with earplugs than without them.  

View Quote
agreed

i saw bob dylan at an outdoor concert in st. paul mn a few years ago, and that old bastard was sooooooo loud that not placing my hands over my ears resulted in real pain if i would have had some plugs it would have been a great concert

Link Posted: 7/22/2002 6:25:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I aint been to a concert in years.But if Tool and System of a Down played you would see my old ass in young glory days!!!!........
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 6:42:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I am going to see them in Pensacola next week. I cannnot freakin wait! Gonna be a spiritual experience. To me, they are our generation's Pink Floyd.

Hiwathl, I hear ya with the Sys of a Down, they absolutely rock. I could have went to see them at the Tabernacle in Hotlanta last Fall and passed... I will regret that for ever! I did get to go see Family Values while I was there so that eased the pain, ALTHOUGH Scott Wylan's naked, flag wearing, heroin addicted ass could fall of a freaking cliff as far as I'm concerned.

A killer line up would be Powerman 5000, System and Tool. I saw PM5K opening for Korn last year and those guys dominated the stage.

Glad there are some guys here who can appreciate a deep band like Tool!
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 6:48:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I was contemplating seeing them in detroit in a few weeks.  Looks like i'm gonna have to go get tickets.  I've seen them before and it was aewsome but I had never heard of them the first time.  I doubt they can beat Disturbed live though.  By far the best concert I have ever seen!!

Keving67
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 6:58:34 PM EDT
[#13]
A bunch of nice guys as well.  I got to meet a few of em after the show.  All of em seem cool. I never knew what that song 4 degrees was about before last night.  Interesting.  

I pretty much agree with the indoors thing.  Only time I have had a different feeling is when I saw Pantera and Sepeltura outside with 50 mile an hour winds throughout the whole show. That was such a good show.  I think that was the best concert I have ever been to.

I like all kind of music.  Rock, rap, country, metal.  I just don't like opera or yodeling.  

List of artists I have seen live:
Madonna
Grateful Dead
B-52s
Niel Diamond
Ice Cube
Bob Dylan
KRS-1
Tool
Dixie Chicks
Sandra Bernhard
Santana
Metallica
Pantera
Neil McCoy
Sepultura
Los Lobos
Ziggy Marley
Queen Latifa
Clay Walker

Too many to list but this gives you an idea of the range of my music tastes.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 7:15:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yea,
View Quote

View Quote

Short of seeing a band perform in a venue of 3000 seats or less, it's a rare treat to get a good view and experience good sound, especially in an outdoor venue. For the best sound (in most cases) sit somewhere near house sound engineer's position. The mix is usually the best in this area (if the engineer knows what he's doing).

Yes, pro-audio/production is what I do for a living...blah, blah, blah...
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 7:30:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Short of seeing a band perform in a venue of 3000 seats or less, it's a rare treat to get a good view and experience good sound, especially in an outdoor venue. For the best sound (in most cases) sit somewhere near house sound engineer's position. The mix is usually the best in this area (if the engineer knows what he's doing).

Yes, pro-audio/production is what I do for a living...blah, blah, blah...
View Quote

Great tip.  Too bad at many outdoor shows the engineer's position seems to be about a mile away.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 7:33:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Tool is Cool. [8D]
View Quote

I will second that legs!
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 8:15:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Are they pro-gun?
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 8:25:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Are they pro-gun?
View Quote

Maynard James Keenan (lead singer) was once quoted in a Los Angeles crowd during an interview as saying something like- "Look at all these people, kinda makes you want to take a rifle up to a roof, and help out the karmic balance"

That may/may not be pro gun, but at least he is a rational person.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 8:32:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are they pro-gun?
View Quote

Maynard James Keenan (lead singer) was once quoted in a Los Angeles crowd during an interview as saying something like- "Look at all these people, kinda makes you want to take a rifle up to a roof, and help out the karmic balance"

That may/may not be pro gun, but at least he is a rational person.
View Quote

sounds about as rational as charlie whitman
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 8:42:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Saw them a few years ago in San Jose.  Best show I have seen period.  When they broke into Nugent's Stranglehold about 2/3 way into the set it about brought me to tears. [:P]

BTW- I like Maynard on the Perfect Circle album. A little bit more mellow but still very cool.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 8:44:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Oh yeah, sound can kill a show.  I saw Soundgarden at the Del Mar fairgrounds in San Diego and they played in this barn like structure.  Reverb was outta control.  I could hardly tell what song they were playing.  Show sucked.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 3:39:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 4:33:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Not heavy?  I'm sorry, but what do you consider heavy?
View Quote

Hmm...  Let's try:

(note: I take no responsibility for the content of the following links - I've been to all of them at one point in time or another, but none of them recently.  If anyone of you guys gets fired because a boob pops up in your browser, it ain't my fault.  They are provided for informational purposes only.  Yeah, that's it - that's the ticket - informational purposes!)

[url=http://www.slayer.net/]Slayer[/url]
[url=http://www.opeth.com/]Opeth[/url]
[url=http://www.dimmu-borgir.com/]Dimmu Borgir[/url]
[url=http://www.machinehead1.com/]Machinehead[/url]
Lycanthropy (band is, well, disbanded - no link)
[url=http://www.theorderofthedragon.com/]Cradle of Filth[/url]
[url=http://w1.182.telia.com/~u18213230/INDEX.htm]Defleshed[/url]
[url=http://www.fearfactory.com/]Fear Factory[/url]
Crowbar (haven't set up a functional web page)
[url=http://www.biohazard.com/]Biohazard[/url]
[url=http://www.sfu420.com/]Six Feet Under[/url]

...and a whole host of others.

Trust me on this one - T00L, as I said earlier, "ain't quite totally heavy".

the_reject

(edited to add links to band web sites)
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 5:09:58 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm seeing them in Omaha very shortly. I saw them with the Rollins band in 1994 in Omaha in a club and it was definitely one of the highlights of my concert going career.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 1:11:20 PM EDT
[#25]
btt

the_reject
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top