Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2002 7:17:45 PM EDT
So we had a family reunion a couple weeks ago.  I had a bottle of tannerite and had never gotten to use it, and the reunion was right near a very big forest.  As far as I know, there aren't any guns in my family.  Not that my family is anti-gun or anything, but it was just never an issue.

So I grabbed a couple of my younger cousins (early 20s) and we headed for the woods with the tannerite and my SKS.  I had two guy cousins and one girl cousin there, and my one cousin's girlfriend came with us.

So we took turns shooting at some pop cans, everyone had fun.  My one cousin was an instant convert ("I just GOTTA get me an assault rifle!")  Even the girls had fun.

Before anyone shot, I made sure they had their safety glasses and ear plugs, I showed them how the rifle worked and told them the 4 commandments of gun safety--never point it at anything you don't want to shoot, never put your finger inside the trigger guard until you're ready to shoot, etc. etc..

Well, there was one, unwritten rule that never occured to me to vocalize.  I had set up the tannerite on a downed tree stump.  My shot hit just underneath it and knocked it off the stump.  Since the tannerite was a good ways off, I turned to my cousin (still 8 rounds in the mag and one in the chamber) and said, "Here, hold the rifle while I go reset the target so I don't have to carry it out there and back."  I passed him the gun with the muzzle pointed at the sky.  He reaches for it and grabs it by--THE BARREL!  I saw him grabbing it there, and at the same time it registered in my mind that he was grabbing a very fucking hot piece of metal, I let go of the rifle to pass it to him.

Of course, he drops it in surprise when the barrel burned his hand (dumb-ass!) the rifle hit the ground butt first and then fell into the dirt.  Everyone there about shit a brick cuz they were afraid it would go off.  Luckily, I had the safety on, but goddamn...I shudder to think what would happen if the safety hadn't been on and a twig or tree branch found its way inside the trigger guard.

Overall, it was a fun day--I did win a couple converts to "our side" and I also learned a new rule to make very explicit to any future newbies that I take out shooting with me.  "Don't touch the damn barrel!  It is HOT!"

This story wasn't as dramatic as that guy who posted photos of the holes in his roommate's hand, but it was a lesson well-learned for me.  Maybe in the future, this lesson will help at least one of you keep your drawers clean when you take a newbie shooting.

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 7:21:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 7:41:47 PM EDT
[#2]
The safety on an SKS does NOT prevent the gun from firing.  It is only a trigger block.  The gun could have fired easiy....
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 7:45:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
...I turned to my cousin (still 8 rounds in the mag and one in the chamber) and said, "Here, hold the rifle while I go reset the target so I don't have to carry it out there and back." -Nick Viejo.
View Quote

Where the fuck you learn to shoot?  That is how people get killed.  I always unload and open the action.  Were you saying he was a dumb-ass or were you admitting you were a dumb-ass?
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 7:51:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I won't call you a dumb ass,but whenever I hand a gun to somebody(no matter if they're experienced with firearms or not) I always unload it and remove the magazine.

I NEVER hand over a loaded weapon to ANYONE.

You just never know what they're going to do no matter who they are,and I don't want to get shot.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#5]
[shock][shock][shock][shock][shock][shock]
[dracula][dracula][dracula][dracula][dracula]
[devil][devil][devil][devil][devil][devil]

Yikes.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 8:14:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 8:26:17 PM EDT
[#7]
dude, a big no-no handing a loaded, live weapon to somebody as you proceed down range. you shouldnt hand a live weapon to anyone, and especially not to a person unfamiliar with weapons as you are about to boogy downrange. and dont offer anyone a weapon barrel first...been plenty of ND's with one knucklehad tugging the front of a weapon as the other knucklehead had his/her finger on the trigger.damn...almost like handing a knife to someone blade first.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 9:21:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Im not going to tear into you like the others did because I bet you get the point.

ESPECIALLY that they are beginners and really dont know the rules of the 'range'. Hell I have even seen EXPERIENCED shooters get brain farts once in a while.

unfortunately one of them lost their life.

At least your cousins learned a lesson and from the other posts on this board, so did you.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 10:04:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Yow--you people really ripped into me for handing him the gun.  (Note, that I said the barrel was pointed up, towards the sky, and not at any person when I did give it to him, contrary to what one of you implied)

But..I gotta admit, you folks are right.  Particularly around newbs...shit, I'm still mostly newbie myself--I should have been more careful and unloaded it before giving it to him.  Thanks for setting me straight.

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 8/24/2002 4:24:19 AM EDT
[#10]
yeah...sorry for being so harsh. welcome to AR15.com. I've done some bonehead things myself, at least you realize its a learning experience and thank god no one got hurt
Link Posted: 8/25/2002 9:23:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Jesus.  

I believe in safety, but implying that someone is a dumbass for handing someone a *known* loaded weapon?

Nobody here has to load weapons for their wives or kids?

Nobody here been hunting with a partner and asked them to hold a loaded weapon for a minute while you take care of something/cross a fence/get out of mud/ect?

I have pulled some bonehead stunts myself and have hopefully learned from them.  Be careful out there - and yes - watch newbies like a hawk.

QCMGR, asking "Where the fuck you learn to shoot?"  sure makes you sound like a jerk!!!

Link Posted: 8/25/2002 9:46:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This story wasn't as dramatic as that guy who posted photos of the holes in his roommate's hand,
-Nick Viejo.
View Quote

Where's that thread ???
Link Posted: 8/25/2002 11:18:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Here:
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=140173[/url]
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 3:50:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
QCMGR, asking "Where the fuck you learn to shoot?"  sure makes you sound like a jerk!!!
View Quote

I am when it comes to safety!  
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 6:54:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Nobody here been hunting with a partner and asked them to hold a loaded weapon for a minute while you take care of something/cross a fence/get out of mud/ect?

I have pulled some bonehead stunts myself and have hopefully learned from them.  Be careful out there - and yes - watch newbies like a hawk.

View Quote

I don't see a problem with this either.  There are certain circumstances where it would be safe to hand someone a loaded weapon, especially if they knew it was loaded and this was someone that you KNEW was safe.  

That being said, I wouldn't hand a loaded gun to newbie and then walk downrange.  I am glad no one got seriously hurt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top