Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2001 7:53:42 PM EDT
Okay these are classic. A guy I work with decided we were going to shoot at Spring Valley [url]http://www.shooters.com/springvalley/[/url] on Saturday morning. We had my Bushmaster XM15E2S 20", Norinco Chinese SKS 7.62, and Winchester .30-30 and about 3000 rounds of ammo.

Of course my wife was pissed we didn't invite her, so she came along. At the last minute, my brother-in-law brought my 6 year-old nephew Jeremey along for his first shoot.

He's in first grade and is sharp as a tack. I have endeavored to teach him every scam, dirty trick, cuss word, or other items of everyday usefulness since he was in a high chair. I taught him to spit mashed potatos out at Grandma when he was about 8 months. I taught him how to say, "What the hell is this?" when he was 14 months. I taught him the fine art of picking up the ladies... (now he has convinced himself that the cute little 15 year old down the street is in love with him... haha)

Also got pics of Mrs. BenDover aka 'The Tweetybird'. She loves the AR and is in the process of building one for herself.

[img]http://www.accessconnex.com/jeremey.jpg[/img]
Jeremey is the designated spotter.

[img]http://www.accessconnex.com/jeremeybendover.jpg[/img]
Jeremey and Uncle Mike (BenDover) NOTICE THAT BOY'S TRIGGER FINGER!!!

[img]http://www.accessconnex.com/jeremeybendover2.jpg[/img]
Post Shot

[img]http://www.accessconnex.com/scottjeremey.jpg[/img]
Jeremey and his Daddy Scott (one BIG dude)

[img]http://www.accessconnex.com/scottjeremey2.jpg[/img]
Jeremey & Scott again

[img]http://www.accessconnex.com/tweety.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.accessconnex.com/tweety2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.accessconnex.com/tweety3.jpg[/img]

Mrs. BenDover (Tweety Bird)

Link Posted: 11/18/2001 8:01:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 8:16:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Brouhaha's not kidding. Some kid in Kalifornia actually got suspended from school becuase some teacher found pictures of him shooting at a range in his bag. Hell, he didn't even show them around. Then again, Kali. is a shithole of a state. Then again Ohio isn't completely firearms friendly either (Local Bans, No CCW, etc.)
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 8:18:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Personally, on my first day of 7th garde my what did you do over the summer including showing off spent shotgun shells and loaning out copies of a video of me shooting Clay Pigeons. I did pretty damn well for a 12 y/o, too.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 8:36:01 PM EDT
[#4]
That's the advantage of coming from a small town where you know everybody. I sent him home with a box of emptied brass for show & tell.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 4:13:28 AM EDT
[#5]
This is great.I do ask you to do one thing though.Buy him a good pair of shooting glasses.Eyeballs don't grow back.My six year old won't even get out of the car at the range without them.I guess I taught him well.I endeavor to be like him.You ought to hear him ride my butt when I forget.I don't care that he yells at me for it.I know he just loves me.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 5:36:12 AM EDT
[#6]
HUH?

There is a range in Waynesville!?!

I lived in Lebanon for three years and had no idea. I now live in the West Chester area and go to the Middletown Sportsman's club.

Learn something new everyday...wonder if that means I can sleep at my desk the rest of the day......
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 5:42:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I was thinking the same thing Armalite fan.

That being said, it sure is good to see people taking the little ones out to the range.  I would encourage any members who belong to gun clubs to start junior programs.  My club gets from 40 to 65 kids out to our program.

So BenDover when is Uncle Ben going to pony up with a nice .22 for the little guy to have as his own??
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 5:47:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I taught him the fine art of picking up the ladies... now he has convinced himself that the cute little 15 year old down the street is in love with him.

now he's gonna be a pimp daddy extrodinair!!! maybe she is. it's only 9 years difference.

happy shooting

Ian
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 6:03:53 AM EDT
[#9]
thats pretty cool!!my dad who was a leo at the time started teaching me to shoot when i was six.i have been in love with guns and shooting ever since.idaho is a gun friendly state as long as you don't get stupid with them.we were even taught hunters safety in seveth grade.don't know if they still do but it was a great time way back in the good ol' days.my twins are almost four now and i can't wait to get them out to the range. ithink the next time the wife goes out of town for business i will sneak them out and let them shoot their ar's. yep they both have one.legally mine but you know they are theirs......be safe dave
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 7:04:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Good job uncle BenDover

You know you got me in trouble with the wife though....

She thinks 6 is too early to teach a child to shoot. I told her its too young to let a kid ride in a car. I have been teaching my daughter about firearms since she was born. I don't want them to be forbidden fruit. I want her to have a healthy respect and maybe a touch of fear. She is only 4 and has asked for her own rifle [bounce] Mom is not so excited as I am. My daughter isn't ready.... she still does not follow instructions well.... but soon

You really got me in hot water.... good job uncle!
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 7:23:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Ohio will probably get you on a child endangerment law...

I was taught how to shoot at about that age and never stopped. He ought to be a high master when he's grown into the gun.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:07:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was thinking the same thing Armalite fan.

That being said, it sure is good to see people taking the little ones out to the range.  I would encourage any members who belong to gun clubs to start junior programs.  My club gets from 40 to 65 kids out to our program.

So BenDover when is Uncle Ben going to pony up with a nice .22 for the little guy to have as his own??
View Quote

Yeah, I do need to get him some safety spectacles. Heck, I need to wear them over my glasses. The cool part is that he will do whatever I tell him to do so if I say "Wear these." he will put them on without a fuss. If his mother says "Wear these" then he will kick up a fight.

Uncle & Aunt got clearance from his daddy to buy a Ruger 10/22 for Christmas as a together present for the both of them (to scoot in under my sister's radar since she is very anti-gun). His daddy said he would take the heat and tell her that it was his.

[;)]

Regarding child endangerment (haha) there was a young state trooper shooting in the booth next to us. He thought it was cool as hell that we took the kid out. He was showing him all of his CCW and cruiser armaments. Jeremey saw the guy had a Ruger P89 and said, "That's a 9mm like Mike's. I like it better than your Glock." We all lost it.

That kid even knows to pull the mag and get behind the yellow line on a ceasefire.

Link Posted: 11/21/2001 1:39:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a four year old that spots for me, he and my three year old nephew are great bird dogs, and they are learnig to count by scoring my eight year olds BB gun targets. aint kids great. [:)>]
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 2:13:59 AM EDT
[#14]
My son's only about three.  Soon that little guy will be able to recite my safety rules and when he's able (and under close supervision), I'll let have a go with the 10/22.  Enjoy it while you can, because in a few years, you will be "such a geek". [:D]

What the hell, they'll grow outta that too eventually.

BTW... Great job at getting the youngster into firearms.

Keep it safe!

[:D]
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 5:32:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Cute story and cute kid.  Good job!
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 5:39:19 AM EDT
[#16]
You may want to consider an M4 stocked AR lower for him, fully closed. I pinned one this way for my 10 y/o nephew, so that he can reach everything. He's now big enough to comfortably get a good weld with his nose on the charging handle. I had to do the demo for him that it would not bloody his nose, loves it now!  His grouping is MUCH better, and he has more fun.

GREAT pics!
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 6:07:12 AM EDT
[#17]
 BigMac and huntclub, why are you waiting?  I taught Lil' Ops how to shoot when he was 4, and he rec'd his first marksmanship award (postal match) at age 5.  He has gotten a little rusty since, (1st grade is tough) but he still knows the basics and is a very safe shooter.  Go t the Md. AR15 Shooter's Site and check out the August pics.  "Train up a child in the way he shoudl go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it."  Way to go Ben!
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 10:13:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Great pic's Ben.  That doesn't even look like the old Spring Valley range.  It's probably been 12 years since I've been there.  What's the process for shooting there now?  I understand you have to have a state issued card of some kind.  Think there would be a problem with an AR15.com get together there sometime?
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 11:05:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Great pic's Ben.  That doesn't even look like the old Spring Valley range.  It's probably been 12 years since I've been there.  What's the process for shooting there now?  I understand you have to have a state issued card of some kind.  Think there would be a problem with an AR15.com get together there sometime?
View Quote

It's not too bad of a spot. All you need to do is get a state range pass at any hunting or fishing license outlet. You can get a single day pass for $3. $25 for an annual one or $10 if you show a valid hunting license. Paper & clay targets only. 3 round burst maximum for semi rapidfire.

All you have to do then is sign in with the game & wildlife officer up there when you arrive.

I don't know what the story would be for a get-together. I can't imagine they would have a problem if a bunch of guys just planned it and showed up.

Incidently, weather permitting I am going to be up there again this Saturday morning from around 10 - 10:30 am to whenever.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top