Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2001 3:56:31 PM EDT
Hello,
  I brought home my 700P in a 308 yesterday, and have been kicking around what kind of scope I want for it...

So far I have been considering the following;

Springfield 30mm 2nd Gen. 4-14x56
Springfield 30mm 3rd Gen. 4-14x56 it the lighted rectile worth the extra$$$??
Springfield 30mm 3rd Gen. 6-20x56

Leupold 6.5-20x50 30mm Varix3 Fine Duplex
Leupold 4.5-14x50 30mm Varix3 Fine Duplex

Or a Nikon Monarch 1" 6.5-20x44

If anyone can guide me in the right direction with this I would appreciate it very much...

No one around here stocks much in a 30mm scope, so its not too easy to just go and look at all of them to see what I like.

I have looked through the Nikon and was impressed with it I plan on getting one with fine crosshairs for my 700VSSF on a 223.

as far as some background on my targets, I will be mostly punching paper at 300 yards,and maybe a deer if I sit on the firing line during deer season.

Thanks,
Bob

Link Posted: 9/30/2001 4:03:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I just bought a FN Police special sniper rifle in a 308, chrome lined barrel, very tight action. I put a burris 8-32 signature on mine. I am a big fan of burris scopes. like the 44mm objective.
[sniper]     [bounce]

Quoted:
Hello,
  I brought home my 700P in a 308 yesterday, and have been kicking around what kind of scope I want for it...

So far I have been considering the following;

Springfield 30mm 2nd Gen. 4-14x56
Springfield 30mm 3rd Gen. 4-14x56 it the lighted rectile worth the extra$$$??
Springfield 30mm 3rd Gen. 6-20x56

Leupold 6.5-20x50 30mm Varix3 Fine Duplex
Leupold 4.5-14x50 30mm Varix3 Fine Duplex

Or a Nikon Monarch 1" 6.5-20x44

If anyone can guide me in the right direction with this I would appreciate it very much...

No one around here stocks much in a 30mm scope, so its not too easy to just go and look at all of them to see what I like.

I have looked through the Nikon and was impressed with it I plan on getting one with fine crosshairs for my 700VSSF on a 223.

as far as some background on my targets, I will be mostly punching paper at 300 yards,and maybe a deer if I sit on the firing line during deer season.

Thanks,
Bob

View Quote
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 4:03:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Nobody betters Leupold.  Some makers may equal them, but not better.  Plus a warrenty that takes care of you.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 4:05:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 4:06:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a Nikon 6.5-20x50 on my 308 VSSF. That rifle was an absolute tack driver with Federal GMM. With that scope it was still sub-MOA out to 500 meters.

That's one of the guns I regret having sold.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 4:06:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got a Remington 700P LTR with Springfield Armory 3rd gen 10x56 Mil-dot on a Leupold Mark 4 base and Mark 4 rings. Some folks don't like the Springfield Armorys much, saying that they have a history of a loose reticle. Others have reported the internal bubble level breaking loose. I have not experienced this and absolutely love my set up.

On the other hand, I do not recall anyone saying anything bad about the Leupolds you mentioned. So if you can afford the Leupold then I'd recommend it. Their iron clad lifetime warranty is also a big bonus. Personally, I would get the tactical version of the Leupold 4.5-14x50 30mm Varix3 with Mil Dot reticle.

Good luck and have a great time with your new love.

Link Posted: 9/30/2001 4:17:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey Bob243,

Just thought I'd add my .02 here.  I have a 700P in 308Win too.  I mounted a Leupold 4.5x14x50 LRT (30mm tube) and think it is worth every penny.  I second all the votes for Leupolds, I have shot a 700P with a SA scope although I did like the scope, I have heard of occasional failures with some SA scopes.  Here's a pic of my 700P, HTH.

Steve
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=280287&a=9188528&p=31033343[/img]
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 4:17:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 4:30:34 PM EDT
[#8]
My first question to you would be how much can you spend?  All of the suggestions that have been posted to you are indeed good scopes, but one has been left off.  I would suggest (with money not being the limiting factor) that you put a NightForce 3.5-15 X 50 NXS with the NP-R2 lighted reticle on the .308.  I have tried most of the scopes that have been mentioned and while excellent scopes for the money, none can touch the NightForce for performance.  I had an early PSS in .308 that would consistently shoot around 5" @ 600 yards with Fed. Match.  I then put the NightForce (early model, not even the NXS) scope on and the groups were consistent at 3.5-4" with the same ammo. Nothing had been changed except the scope. I even had the same mounts for both.  I also have seen demos of the NightForce being beaten into a wooden table and the zero did not shift.  The only bad thing with the NXS NightForce would be the sticker price of around $1100.  But if price did not matter and you wanted the best, that would be it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 4:36:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Leupold Vari-X III M1 tactical with mil-dot reticle.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 5:43:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Based on replies and looking at warranty I think I will go with the 6.5-20x50mm Long Range Target.

I am also looking for rings and bases which will hold a zero when the scope is removed and replaced (I may need to remove it to fit in my safe properly) , will the Weaver Grand Slam bases with the Weaver 4x4 rings be ok for this?
if so, what height rings do I need for this scope?

As a couple side notes....

The Harris Bipod is a definate[;)]....

I am not sure if its just me or lighting conditions where I shoot but the high power 40mm scopes set to anything higher than 24x seem dark and fuzzy. I can still pick up on my targets but its more of an annoyance than anything.

Anyone have any thing about putting the Nikon on my VSSF? 98% of shooting will be off the bench at 100 yards, the other 2% will be woodchucks out my uncle's farm all less than 500 yard shots off a portable bench I am puting together( I try to stay within local game laws, I'd rather shoot woodchucks off the roof of my truck[50], but I guess too many people poaching deer screwed that up)

but anyway, I am rambeling so thanks to everyone for sharing advice and next time I borrow a digital cam I will post a pic..

Thanks again,
Bob
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the Nikon 6.5x20 Fine Crosshair on my M700 VS .308 and absoluetly love it. Crystal clear glass, very solid, repatable adjustments, lifetime warranty, the list goes on.

FWIW, I am bout to by 2 or 3 more Nikons to scope a couple of my other rifles. They are every bit the scope that a Leupold is for around $100 less. Look through them and shoot them side by side and I'll bet you the $100 you won't see any difference.

Nikon for me.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 6:22:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Edited because you answered my questions.

For what you describe I'd go with the Nikon or Leupold.

I would recommend you use Leupold Rings and bases and forego, any detachable option.

I don't think there is anything out there that would reliably return to zero every time and think it would be frustrating to figure that out with a Woodchuck laughing at me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top