Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2016 4:14:26 PM EDT
But I've finally convinced my wife that ground deer is as good as ground beef. Doesn't hurt that I refuse to pay $4/lb for ground beef anymore.

I'm gonna need a bigger freezer.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 4:24:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
But I've finally convinced my wife that ground deer is as good as ground beef. Doesn't hurt that I refuse to pay $4/lb for ground beef anymore.

View Quote

After amortizing the tags, all your gear, and the food processor, you will find that deer is much more expensive than beef, even at $4/lb.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 4:27:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it's even better.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 4:29:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't consider it a replacement for ground beef, unless you're used to buying that 93/7 garbage. It's too lean.

I treat it as an addendum to beef. My current go-to burger mix is 1lb ground venison, 1lb 85/15 grass fed ground beef, 1lb ground lamb, 2 eggs, salt/pepper/garlic/old bay.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 4:29:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy calf in spring, let it grow, shoot it in the face in January, slice and dice, put it in the freezer, repeat.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 4:31:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

After amortizing the tags, all your gear, and the food processor, you will find that deer is much more expensive than beef, even at $4/lb.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Processor?  

I can load a box of .270 Win cheaper than I can buy five pounds of meat. Diesel cost to and from the farm is perhaps $2/day. My grinder and knives are old. Food saver bags are relatively cheap. And we usually kill and freeze 4-8 deer a year.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 4:43:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Processor?  

I can load a box of .270 Win cheaper than I can buy five pounds of meat. Diesel cost to and from the farm is perhaps $2/day. My grinder and knives are old. Food saver bags are relatively cheap. And we usually kill and freeze 4-8 deer a year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Processor?  

I'm glad your lifestyle and land can support that.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 5:21:01 PM EDT
[#7]
We use ground venison for spaghetti and chili, usually takes 2 deer each season.  If you are using your own grinder take the meat bags from cabelas (around a nickel) use the plastic stuffing tube to grind and pack in one simple step.  Those round bags store so neat in the freezer.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 5:32:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha!  The first deer I shot on our land cost about $225,000!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top