Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 6/23/2016 4:14:26 PM EDT
But I've finally convinced my wife that ground deer is as good as ground beef. Doesn't hurt that I refuse to pay $4/lb for ground beef anymore.

I'm gonna need a bigger freezer.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 4:24:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/23/2016 4:25:05 PM EDT by Jayne_Cobb]
Originally Posted By Burley:
But I've finally convinced my wife that ground deer is as good as ground beef. Doesn't hurt that I refuse to pay $4/lb for ground beef anymore.

View Quote

After amortizing the tags, all your gear, and the food processor, you will find that deer is much more expensive than beef, even at $4/lb.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 4:27:10 PM EDT
I think it's even better.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 4:29:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/23/2016 4:29:11 PM EDT by thormx538]
I don't consider it a replacement for ground beef, unless you're used to buying that 93/7 garbage. It's too lean.

I treat it as an addendum to beef. My current go-to burger mix is 1lb ground venison, 1lb 85/15 grass fed ground beef, 1lb ground lamb, 2 eggs, salt/pepper/garlic/old bay.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 4:29:55 PM EDT
Buy calf in spring, let it grow, shoot it in the face in January, slice and dice, put it in the freezer, repeat.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 4:31:32 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jayne_Cobb:

After amortizing the tags, all your gear, and the food processor, you will find that deer is much more expensive than beef, even at $4/lb.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Processor?

I can load a box of .270 Win cheaper than I can buy five pounds of meat. Diesel cost to and from the farm is perhaps $2/day. My grinder and knives are old. Food saver bags are relatively cheap. And we usually kill and freeze 4-8 deer a year.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 4:43:09 PM EDT

Processor?

I can load a box of .270 Win cheaper than I can buy five pounds of meat. Diesel cost to and from the farm is perhaps $2/day. My grinder and knives are old. Food saver bags are relatively cheap. And we usually kill and freeze 4-8 deer a year.
View All Quotes

Processor?

I'm glad your lifestyle and land can support that.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 5:21:01 PM EDT
We use ground venison for spaghetti and chili, usually takes 2 deer each season. If you are using your own grinder take the meat bags from cabelas (around a nickel) use the plastic stuffing tube to grind and pack in one simple step. Those round bags store so neat in the freezer.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 5:32:36 PM EDT

View All Quotes

Ha! The first deer I shot on our land cost about $225,000!
Top Top