Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2001 6:28:00 PM EDT
things happened.....

I was getting ready to go to the range today to try out the .445 super mag, and I (kidding around) asked my sister who anti hunting, feminist, vegetarian if she wanted to go and "shoot guns" the reply was how long ya going to be, so after picking my jaw back up off the floor I said maybe an hour or so, so she said sure, so I said lemme get you something to shoot, I grabbed my S&W38 revolver and my Taurus 9mm, then handed her my Bushmaster and asked if she wanted to try it, so that went too, so wo out the range I hung up a 4x6 steel plate at 50 yards. then took some shots out of the Super Mag ( I don't have anything loaded for it yet so I just shot some 44mags out of it, I was disappointed the thing really didn't bark that much then let her shoot a box of 38's and she hit the plate quite a few times the ones she missed weren't far off, So I asked her is she wanted to take a shot out of the Dan Wesson, BOOM! then says I like this one!
so I then showed her how to soot the 9mm I just had her shoot at the backstop because I wanted her to concentrate more on what's going on with the pistol, after a few 1 round in the mag I felt she could have no problem with it so I let her shoot a couple full mags, She liked that as well.  I took my PSS to shoot a few rounds to make sure it was still zeroed then let her try she was about 2" high and and inch to the right of the 1/2" dot I put up at 300 yards so I put that away and let her shoot 5 boxes out of the AR she had fun at that too...  So she wants to go some more and shoot IHMSA, So there is another shooter in the family. As far as hunting the deal is If I hang my deer in the shed were she won't see it she wont give me S@@t about hunting.

Here is where it all went to hell in a handbasket... it was getting dark, sun wend down temp was dropping fast, I drove the dirt road along the range to get my target at 300 yards and scraped a right before I got to it, so I had a bad feeling when I got out of the car, I looked under the car and all I see is a nice stream of oil. looked up and saw the 2" hole I put in the corner of my oil pan [pissed] . so I just kinda idled it back to where I could get to the phone called AAA and told them to meet me at the gate for the range, so I just kindof kept it under 1000rpm and listened to make sure it didn't start knocking or anything till I got to the hill which I could shut the car off and coast down, and waited an hour for the roll-back.  

So basically I need some JB Weld and hopefully that'll work, I called my father and he said it works well for aluminum, If not I need an oil pan for an 85 BMW 325E just in case anyone has one laying around.  Also if someone would be kind enough to hit me in the head with a 2x4 for being stupid enough to drive it out there to begin with, that would be great. [stick]  [stick]  [stick]  [stick]

Link Posted: 12/15/2001 6:41:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry about the oil pan, guy, but as they say "no good deed goes unpunished". [:)]

If she wants to shoot IHMSA, let her try a Contender!  It's by far the most popular handgun for competition around here.  

Maybe she can work up to a Rampro in 6.5BR.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 6:42:42 PM EDT
[#2]
doh!....Cool on the Anti thing!

Sorry about your oil pan...that really sucks!

medcop
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 6:45:27 PM EDT
[#3]
good job buddy, conver the masses

sorry about the oilpan
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 6:50:16 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are going off-road, maybe you should jack that baby up a little.[:)]
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 6:59:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn, that is just like my session with my sister. I got an e-mail from her asking how to tell if someone was "cool" to go shooting with. That dropped my jaw. To bad she is out of country, or I would take a road trip to see her.

As for you oilpan. Looks like it is time to make a trip to the junk yard. Wish I could say something like "No problem, easy to replace." But on the 2 of the 3 cars I have gone through, you couldn't change the oil pan without unbolting the motor mounts and lifting the engine just a bit.

Which sucked for me, since the 2 cars that I had needed to have the pan gasket replaced. But I didn't have a hoist.

And since you have a BMW, you might be spending $ for the mechanic's time (labor is always higher that the part).
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 6:59:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 7:26:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Bob243. If I was you I wouldn't try patching a 2" hole with anything with the pan on the car. To do it right you will have to clean it completely and have a patch bronzed or mig welded on. It would be a bitch to be flying down the highway at 70 miles an hour and have the oil pouring out the hole cause your patch fell off.
View Quote

Is MIG too hot for cast alum?

I was also thinking instead of the JB, there is a local welding place that was recomended that could TIG weld it.

What would I need to do to bronze it? is it similar to the coat hanger/torch trick for small holes?  in that case what melts first, alum or bronze?

Link Posted: 12/15/2001 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you are going off-road, maybe you should jack that baby up a little.[:)]
View Quote

I think from now on I will just remember the flash light and walk the 300 yards.....[;)]  Or take the "bad weather" car (85 Citation)
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 7:36:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

As for you oilpan. Looks like it is time to make a trip to the junk yard. Wish I could say something like "No problem, easy to replace." But on the 2 of the 3 cars I have gone through, you couldn't change the oil pan without unbolting the motor mounts and lifting the engine just a bit.

View Quote

I think if I had to drop this one, I would have to remove the bottom of the bell housing to get at the back bolts, maybe drop the rack, and may still have to jack the motor up about 2 or 3 inches.  

1/4" air ratchet 2 extensions and a universal are a definate for this one

Link Posted: 12/15/2001 7:41:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 7:52:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sorry about the oil pan, guy, but as they say "no good deed goes unpunished". [:)]

If she wants to shoot IHMSA, let her try a Contender!  It's by far the most popular handgun for competition around here.  

Maybe she can work up to a Rampro in 6.5BR.
View Quote

I have a 7mmTCU, in a 14" barrel but that will be a bit much for her, It definately has more recoil than the DW had shooting 44mags out of it (actually I was dissapointed, it was alot less than I expected) Oh well, I got some good load data for the .445, that will make it fun[:D]

I think I will get a 10" .22 barrel for her to use. a 10" you can use in most of teh categories, 14" is only in Unlimited.

If she wants to shoot bigbore I am not shure what I will do, there are quite a few people out the range that would let her try some of their handguns.  

Link Posted: 12/15/2001 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#12]
They got a name for MIG welding an oil pan on a motor... A BOMB!

There is enough gasoline and other petroleum based vapors in the crank case to blow you and your car to hell, if you strike an arc on the pan.

JB weld is for temp repairs

If I were driving a Beemer, I would certainly have the funds to have it repaired correctly.

Do the right thing, and save yourself some big trouble.

Waterdog
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 8:17:18 PM EDT
[#13]
You'll need to remove the pan and clean every last bit of oil before patching it. A can of carb cleaner should work fine for that. Also, JB Weld is WAY too thin to patch a hole that big, unless you're just using it to glue a small metal patch in place. Personally, I'd use plumber's expoxy putty to plug the leak, then use JB weld or some other thin epoxy on the inside of the pan (after the putty dries) to seal any small gaps in the patch.

I should mention that epoxy is an entirely appropriate, permanant repair for something like this. For example, JB Weld is often used to secure oil sump pickup tubes on some Mopars, which otherwise have a tendency for the pressed-in tube to fall out. Cleaning the patched surface carefully before applying the epoxy is the secret to making the repair last.

Congratulations on setting an anti-gunner on the Path To Enlightment, BTW!!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 8:56:14 PM EDT
[#14]
first off congrats on the conversion

Now here I come to the rescue....

IM a p welder I MIG and TIG aluminum as well as mild steel and stainless on a daily basis for the big 3 and uncle Sam.

First off your going to have to remove the pan if you want to weld on it.

Not just for safety reasons but because your going to have to get both sides of that pan [b]spotless[/b] to even ATTEMPT a weld repair especially on aluminum.

MIG on aluminum wont be to hot I burn 1/8" and under all the time using 95-5 gas and 052 wire without a problem.
My guess though is if you have it repaired, they will most likely TIG it.
It most likely wont cost much either maybe 15 to 20 tops.

If you have never struck an arc before, avoid the propane patch kits (they never last)
get it done professionally aluminum is rather tricky to prep and weld and easy to mess up on its not as forgiving as steel.

Link Posted: 12/16/2001 6:20:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Congrats on the shooting. Not good about the pan, tho.
That's what 4x4s are for <).
If you weren't halfway across the country, I'd say pull the pan and send it to me. Find a good local shop, but definately have it TIG welded. Cannot be welded on car, and it's too critical to even think about any non-welded repairs.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 6:40:51 AM EDT
[#16]
I concur that your oil pan needs to be either repaired professionally or replaced. I wouldn't want to trust JB weld on an oil pan and you definately don't want to attempt to weld it while it is still on the engine, cause you'll blow yourself and your car all to hell.

I worked at this place once that built up engines and race cars. One day a gang banger looking type rolled up in an old Impala that he and some friends were trying to install a sound system in. They had been drilling some holes in the back around the lower seat area and had drilled a hole in the gas tank! Apparently they had seen someone welding on something one day when they drove by and they wanted to know if we would weld up the hole they had drilled because it was stinking up the car.

Needless to say, we all just laughed and told them you could weld on a gas tank. However, they thanks us when we told them to check at the local auto parts store for some special black, high temp, gas tank sealer duct tape!
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 8:00:26 AM EDT
[#17]
FWIW, a friend repaired a rip in his oil pan (don't ask) with JB Weld and a square of aluminium from Coke can. It help up for the three months until he got around to replacing the pan when building a stroker moter. Repair was still in good shape when he pulled the pan.

Link Posted: 12/16/2001 10:18:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

There is enough gasoline and other petroleum based vapors in the crank case to blow you and your car to hell, if you strike an arc on the pan.

Waterdog
View Quote

Absolute Bullshit - LOL
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 12:07:28 PM EDT
[#19]
[b]There is enough gasoline and other petroleum based vapors in the crank case to blow you and your car to hell, if you strike an arc on the pan.[/b]

i dont know about the gasoline, but theres enough oil in their to definately ruin your day

either way you still have to spotlessly clean [b]BOTH SIDES[/b] of the weld zone to get an efective weld. If you dont contaminates are going to seep in from the uncleaned area that will turn that weld into porus metalic swiss cheese assuming it actualy sticks of corse
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top