Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/17/2017 1:01:52 PM EDT
Didn't think it possible. Made a big batch of hummus Friday. Tossed in four large cloves of garlic.

Wife won't touch it. Figured it would mellow after a couple of days. Nope. Still like eating a head raw.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:02:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Didn't think it possible. Made a big batch of hummus Friday. Tossed in four large cloves of garlic.

Wife won't touch it. Figured it would mellow after a couple of days. Nope. Still like eating a head raw.
View Quote
said no one ever
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:05:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Impossible.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:06:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:07:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I will roast a whole clove (or whatever the whole clump of cloves is called) and spread it on a piece of toast with some butter. Love me some garlic!
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:08:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:08:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I love garlic. But this stuff is almost too overpowering. Walmart garlic is mucho strong.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:09:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:09:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Make some more hummus and mix it in to dilute??
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:09:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I would eat it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:10:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would eat it.
View Quote
I'm eating it. But it isn't conducive to marital relations.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:11:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I would eat it.
View Quote
I'm eating it. But it isn't conducive to marital relations.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:11:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Bwhaa ha ha -
That brings back memories from almost forty years ago when I first started cooking for myself.

I invited a lady over for something I had grilled that required some BBQ sauce.
I decided to make my own sauce, the recipe called for one CLOVE of garlic and I didn't know what a clove of garlic was so I used a whole BULB of garlic in the sauce! 
Much to my surprise she was a garlic lover and actually ate the stuff and loved it - go figure... 
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:13:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll send my son over for the garlic party.  He eats raw garlic
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:14:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'll send my son over for the garlic party.  He eats raw garlic
View Quote
I do that as well
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:14:38 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote
Might have to try 40 cloves with chicken in a crock pot.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:41:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thought the same thing with black pepper. Until a friend grabbed the pepper shaker and ruined a fish fry.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:48:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Gotta roast it first.  Raw garlic can be easily overpowering.  Just like onions.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:50:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Hummus doesn't need much garlic. Maybe 1/2 clove. 4 cloves is an absolute shit ton of raw garlic in anything.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:51:02 PM EDT
[#19]
No such thing.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:52:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Add some red pepper, that will help mellow it out.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:55:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Garlic makes everything more awesome.  I add 3-4 cloves in my guacamole makes it more awesomer.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:56:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:56:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I will roast a whole clove (or whatever the whole clump of cloves is called) and spread it on a piece of toast with some butter. Love me some garlic!
View Quote
Bulb.  The tiny "cloves" mixed in among the flowers are called bulbettes.

Arfcom's Official Garlic Thread if you're interested
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Chinese Garlic is fortified with Melamine .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love garlic. But this stuff is almost too overpowering. Walmart garlic is mucho strong.
Chinese Garlic is fortified with Melamine .
+1

Yup, no thank you.  Homegrown only.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:59:04 PM EDT
[#25]
As someone from Gilroy, I approve! No such thing as too much garlic. Ever.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:59:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Went to a birthday party at a pizza place in Maple Shade, NJ two weekends ago. There was so much garlic on the pizza that  it was inedible. My 17 year-old grandson wouldn't even eat it, and when a teenager won't eat pizza, that says a lot.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:03:43 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm snacking on garlic at this very minute

Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:15:50 PM EDT
[#28]
No such thing as too much. Roasted, raw, whatever... just get it in mah belly!!!

When i visited California i made it a point to visit "The Stinking Rose" restaurant. EVERYTHING has copious amounted of garlic.

Thought I died and went to heaven!!
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:34:49 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd definitely eat that, I LOVE strong garlic taste. 

One day we boiled crawfish at work, and we put about a dozen heads of garlic in the pot with all the sausage and potatoes. I ate 3 whole heads of garlic while I was eating the crawfish, they were so good. 

Stopped at a gun store after I left work. When I walked in, EVERYONE in the building stopped, turns around and stares at me with this sour look on their face. I walked up to the counter, and asked the guy if they had a certain part. He cut me off mid sentence and asked "boy, how much garlic did you just eat!?? We smelled you as soon as you cracked the door open." Guess it was a little strong
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:42:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Keeps the skeeters away. 
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:07:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Too much garlic is unpossible
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:19:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Too much garlic is walking into a tent with a bunch of Korean men clustered around the heater. Absolutely burned my eyes!
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:30:45 PM EDT
[#33]
I once overdid it making garlic shrimp , its pretty simply a ton of butter and a ton of garlic and some red pepper for heat
wife and I both love garlic but that batch was potent as hell

we ate it... but we certainly didn't make out afterwards
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:59:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Garlic behaves differently depending on the time it is exposed to oxygen and when it is cooked.  Mincing garlic exposes it to oxygen which allows the garlic flavor to develop.  Cooking garlic stops this reaction.  What OP described is minced garlic never cooked which allowed the full development of the raw garlic flavor.

Various recipes treat the garlic differently which results in the characteristic flavor of the dish.  The strongest to mildest treatment is this:  Minced and never cooked > minced and cooked later > minced and cooked immediately > non-minced and cooked.

Garlic, yo!
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:10:14 PM EDT
[#35]
I put four cloves in a batch of hummus all the time.  Gotta roast the garlic first though.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote
That, sir, looks like a fine snack.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:35:35 PM EDT
[#37]
This talk of garlic, reminds me that I'm overdue for a trip to the White House Grill...WA and ID folks, know what I'm talkin bout.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:38:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Wtf am I the only person who puts like a single wedge of garlic in my cooking?

Too much causes stomach ache!

Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:52:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Roaster garlic has a much mellower flavor.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:55:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Mmmm... ain't no such thing as too much garlic! A true aphrodisiac.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:05:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Wtf am I the only person who puts like a single wedge of garlic in my cooking?

Too much causes stomach ache!

View Quote
If you're willing to risk the tummy ache in the name of science and flavor, try a roasted garlic head. It might be more gut friendly to ya.

Take a garlic head (or 5 ) and cut the top off.
Place on a piece of foil large enough to wrap around entire head.
Slather the cut area with olive oil.
Place in oven pre-heated to 400 F for 45-65 minutes.

Slice a good crusty French Bread into 1/4" slices.
Spread cream cheese and the now buttery soft garlic onto bread and ENJOY!!!

For an extra level of awesome, roast a red bell pepper on the grill till slightly charred on all sides. Remove from grill and place in Ziploc bag or under a large bowl to sweat it for 5 minutes. Slide charred skin off, remove seeds and slice into 1/4" by 2" slices and serve on top of garlic/cream cheese/bread.

SUPER TASTY!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:09:21 AM EDT
[#42]
No such thing.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:13:31 AM EDT
[#43]
This year I have 72 cloves I planted last fall.  They are all up now.  They will be used in:

1) My wife's dill pickles

2) Dried for garlic powder

3) Roasted

4) Used fresh in various recipes

There's also scapes to harvest since it's all hardneck.  Music and Siberian seem to do the best around here.

Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:16:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Garlic behaves differently depending on the time it is exposed to oxygen and when it is cooked.  Mincing garlic exposes it to oxygen which allows the garlic flavor to develop.  Cooking garlic stops this reaction.  What OP described is minced garlic never cooked which allowed the full development of the raw garlic flavor.

Various recipes treat the garlic differently which results in the characteristic flavor of the dish.  The strongest to mildest treatment is this:  Minced and never cooked > minced and cooked later > minced and cooked immediately > non-minced and cooked.

Garlic, yo!
View Quote
Note to self- oxidize my garlic for mo flavuh.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:24:34 AM EDT
[#45]
No such thing as too much garlic.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:29:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
This year I have 72 cloves I planted last fall.  They are all up now.  They will be used in:

1) My wife's dill pickles

2) Dried for garlic powder

3) Roasted

4) Used fresh in various recipes

There's also scapes to harvest since it's all hardneck.  Music and Siberian seem to do the best around here.

http://i.imgur.com/mAMKRhi.jpg
View Quote
Fine work sir.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:35:46 AM EDT
[#47]
good for your heart...   bad for your breath 
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:47:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Garlic, yo!
View Quote
Are you a Wizard?

I never knew that. It makes sense though. The only time I ever went overboard with garlic it was minced and cooked right away. I wouldn't have believed it was possible to add too much garlic if I hadn't done it myself.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:05:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Live shot of my garlic.  90 bulbs in the ground this year.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:13:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I love garlic. But this stuff is almost too overpowering. Walmart (CHINESE) garlic is mucho strong.
View Quote
I think I see your problem. 
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top