Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2004 10:09:33 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/22/2004 10:21:08 AM EST by thedave1164]
What the heck is going on?

www.sundaymirror.co.uk/news/news/tm_objectid=14558467%26method=full%26siteid=106694%26headline=don%2dt%2dmedal-name_page.html

DON'T MEDAL

Aug 22 2004

Blair snubs Bush's war honour invite

Exclusive by Paul Gilfeather Political Editor

TONY Blair has snubbed George Bush's pleas to fly to the US and pick up his "war medal" ahead of the Presidential elections.

The US President knows the PM, who is massively popular in the States, would provide his flagging re-election campaign with a much-needed boost.

And he is putting huge pressure on Mr Blair to pick up the Congressional Medal of Honor, awarded by America for his unswerving support in Afghanistan and Iraq.

But Mr Blair's closest aides have warned him to resist the plan, insisting that a meeting with President Bush would torpedo Democrat rival John Kerry's bid for the White House.

A senior Government source said: "There has been a lot of telephone traffic between the White House and Downing Street over the medal in recent weeks. George Bush wants the Prime Minister to come to Washington and pick up the medal, which is the highest honour America can bestow on a foreigner.

"But he has refused for more than a year now and for good reason. He cannot possibly accept an award for the Iraq War when British and American troops continue to risk their lives there.

"The Democrats are watching the situation very carefully and there would be uproar if Tony travelled to Washington to meet Bush so close to the Presidential elections.

"But Bush isn't letting up. The White House has already let it be known that they feel slighted because of this and believe they can use this to put pressure on Blair to get him out there."

Number 10 is desperate to finally end Mr Blair's Iraq nightmare - which saw his personal poll rating plunge to all-time low.

Labour also suffered heavily at the ballot box over the conflict taking massive hits in the local and European elections.

One attempt to turn the crisis round was inviting the new Iraqi premier Iyad Allawi to be the keynote speaker at this year's Labour conference. But that appeared to fall through this week amid massive protests.

Mark Seddon, a member of the party's ruling National Executive Committee, said there would be a walk-out if Mr Allawi was invited to speak. He added: "A lot of us said at our last meeting we wanted John Kerry to win the Presidential election. We should be inviting the Democrats to our conference, not Allawi."

Mr Blair has deliberately kept out of the Presidential race to the fury of Labour backbenchers. They are desperate to get a Democrat back in the White House. Democrats, Labour's political bedfellows across the Atlantic, are also bewildered at Mr Blair's attitude.

Bush and Kerry are currently neck-and-neck in the US Presidential race. Mr Blair has been dodging the Congressional Medal since it was awarded a year ago.

He was due to receive it in Washington but following intense negotiations the ceremony was scrapped. He is now not expected to pick up the award until he leaves Downing Street.

Again I ask, what is the world coming too?

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:10:26 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:10:35 AM EST
Who's Yony Blair???
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:11:19 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/22/2004 10:12:42 AM EST by cyanide]
disgraceful. just disgraceful

least Blair has some class

"But he has refused for more than a year now and for good reason. He cannot possibly accept an award for the Iraq War when British and American troops continue to risk their lives there.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:12:13 AM EST

Originally Posted By 1GUNRUNNER:
Fat fingers?

yep
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:13:07 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/22/2004 10:14:08 AM EST by mcgrubbs]
People should remember that Blair is/was a flaming liberal.

I admire him for standing with the US on the war, though.

That being said, this is from the Sunday Mirror....the British Nationa Enquirer. Whoopdeefrickindo
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:13:08 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:13:58 AM EST

Originally Posted By thedave1164:
What the heck is going on?

Simple. This story is full of false information.

If the National Enquirer runs a story that says Bush is a space alien, should we all get upset?

I don't think so.

Settle down. Nothing to it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:16:42 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/22/2004 10:17:32 AM EST by Lumpy196]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:20:33 AM EST
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2954567.stm

US to award Blair for 'leadership'

Tony Blair has stood by President Bush over Iraq
UK Prime Minister Tony Blair will become the first non-American to receive a prestigious award for services to the US.
He is to receive the Ellis Island Medal of Honour for International Leadership for his role in the war against terror.

William Fugazy, chairman of the awards committee, said Mr Blair was selected for his "steadfast support" for America since the 11 September attacks in 2001.

"Under Tony Blair's leadership the relationship between the United States and Britain has been strengthened to the benefit of all nations," he said.

Mr Blair cannot make the 17th annual awards ceremony in May, but Mr Fugazy said New York Governor George Pataki may visit Britain to present the medal in person.

The Ellis Island Medals of Honour were created in 1986 to honour, as the website says, "the many ancestral groups who through struggle, sacrifice and success, helped build this great nation".

It is the first year there has been an award for international leadership.

Congressional medal

The medals have previously been presented to "outstanding Americans" who have distinguished themselves as citizens of the United States.

Past winners include former President Ronald Reagan, former New York mayor Rudy Giuliani, boxer Muhammad Ali and Secretary of State Colin Powell.

This year's winners also include director Martin Scorsese and singer Michael Bolton.

Mr Blair has enjoyed huge popularity in the US since 11 September, bolstered by his stance alongside President George W Bush over the war in Iraq.

He is also due to become the first Briton since Sir Winston Churchill to be awarded the Congressional Gold Medal.

How about the BBC?
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:21:50 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/22/2004 10:22:43 AM EST by Lumpy196]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:24:34 AM EST
Not only is it not the Congressional Medal of Honor, but they seem to imply that Bush did it. Wouldn't that be a Presidential medal rather than a Congressional medal? Last I looked Bush was head of the Executive Branch, not the Legislative.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:26:17 AM EST

Originally Posted By Lumpy196:
WHERE DOES IT SAY CONGRESSIONAL MEDAL OF HONOR?

UK Prime Minister Tony Blair will become the first non-American to receive a prestigious award for services to the US.
He is to receive the Ellis Island Medal of Honour for International Leadership for his role in the war against terror.

Where did I attack bush in this thread?

I was posting a news story, as it was printed, and the second one still has congressional in it. FWIW Tony Blair deserves no medal, period.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:26:23 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:31:12 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/22/2004 10:31:34 AM EST by 1GUNRUNNER]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:32:02 AM EST
Why should I change the title?

It was a question.......
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:35:07 AM EST

It was a question.......

Okay then, to answer the question that you asked:

No. Tony Blair was not awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor.

Nothing more to see here.....
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:38:38 AM EST

Originally Posted By Old_Painless:
...Bush is a space alien...

I didn't know that !

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:39:19 AM EST

It was a question.......

That's weak, very very weak.

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:50:37 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 11:55:07 AM EST
Some of you morons are so pathetically stupid that it's not even funny any more.

Get a grip and put your hysterical rantings aside.

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:17:57 PM EST

It was a question.......

Ellis Island Medal of Honour for International Leadership =! CMOH

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:10:51 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/22/2004 1:11:29 PM EST by Max_Mike]

Some of you morons are so pathetically stupid that it's not even funny any more.

They may be morons but at least they know the difference between a Congressional Medal of Honor and a Ellis Island Medal of Honor.

I guess that makes your sub-moron.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:14:40 PM EST

Originally Posted By Max_Mike:

They may be morons but at least they know the difference between a Congressional Medal of Honor and a Ellis Island Medal of Honor.

I guess that makes your sub-moron.

Actually, my comment was directed at the fools who believed a stupid tabloid article. Perhaps that wasn't clear to someone with such intellect as yourself.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:17:17 PM EST

Originally Posted By Lumpy196:
Some of you Bush hateres are so gullible to the point of complete stupidity

no kidding! pretty freaking pathetic.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:52:06 PM EST

Originally Posted By mcgrubbs:
Who's Yony Blair???

Lingam Blair's wife.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:59:46 PM EST

Originally Posted By Phil_in_Seattle:

It was a question.......

That's weak, very very weak.

Just like all of thedave's posts.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:08:20 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:32:58 PM EST
I love to watch you guys argue with yourselves and start your personal attacks.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:37:13 PM EST

Um...you're the one who started this weak-assed thread.

BTW, did you hear that GWB eats little orphan children in the basement of the White House?

It's true I tell ya!
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:39:59 PM EST

Originally Posted By Johnny_Reno:

Um...you're the one who started this weak-assed thread.

exactly. basically he is admitting he likes being a troll.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:43:09 PM EST
basically you are wrong, but you are used to that.

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:43:57 PM EST

No one is arguing...we all agree you're full of it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:44:27 PM EST

basically you are wrong, but you are used to that.

Now you've gone beyond being simply wrong and into the realm of being a liar.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:44:55 PM EST

Originally Posted By RikWriter:

No one is arguing...we all agree you're full of it.

Yep.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:45:42 PM EST
Top Top