Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2002 1:31:31 PM EDT
My son who is five, has to have these removed Monday the 7th, and I have to admit I'm a little worried even though I know it's a simple, common procedure.  I had to have mine removed when I was 8, my Dad, Uncle and 3 cousins have had the same thing done as well.  I guess it's just that he's my child and I'm a little protective of him, does'nt make me feel any better though.[:(]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 1:35:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 1:37:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Mate, I had my tonsils out when I was 38 fucking years old!

I was the oldest in the ward. The second oldest was 16.

When it was over, did I ever have a soar throat! The worst experience ever.

However kids handle it better than adults. My tonsils were huge and the Doc said they were a real bastard getting them out.

No ice cream either, they brought me in a huge regular lunch, which I did NOT even look at. Even the ice cream would have been turned away.
I just wanted more pethandene!

Within a month I was fine, but at first, it was like swallowing rusty razorblades.

Even thoughtyour Lad is five, he'll handle it better than I did. Should'nt be a big thing, but I understand your concern.

Good luck nad all the best.

1feral1
Sydney
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 1:40:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 2:40:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Ask your doctor about the likelihood of the Adenoids growing back.
My wife had them out when she was your sons age and again when she was 30.
Now, a few years later, she may have to remove them again for the third time.
Both procedures were performed by different doctors.

Link Posted: 1/3/2002 3:21:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 6:12:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I remember having mine out at age 8 and really can't remember it being that bad.  It's just that I don't like the thought of some guy doing some cutting on him that I don't even know.  As for my son I had to take him to the doctor today to have his blood drawn for pre-op and it did'nt even bother him much, so it looks like he's going to handle better than I am.
Holy shit, they did'nt tell me dick about those freaking adnoids growing back!  I'm going to have some questions for the Doc.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 6:17:00 PM EDT
[#7]
My eight year old son had his out last winter...

He was a real trooper. Did not cry at all!!!
The kid in the next bed was a whining twit.  His parents had to get a cot and sleep in the room with him and he was 11.

My son used to snore to wake the gods he had sleep apnea like no tomorrow.  Now he sleeps much better and is not so tired anymore.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 6:50:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Now he sleeps much better and is not so tired anymore.-Stormbringer
View Quote

That's why my son is having his removed, I'll be happy that the kid can breath normally.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 6:50:58 PM EDT
[#9]
My 10 year old had both of his out about a year and a half ago. Before he had strep every other month but since not once. He has only had one cold. He sleeps much better at night now because he can breath. He also does not wake the house up with snoring. He did not come out from the druges well but his mother is the same way. I am very glad it was done.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 8:40:05 PM EDT
[#10]
CIB:
Your son should do just fine. I take care of kids like this every day...they literally bounce back from this procedure.  In a couple of days the experience will be just a memory for him. As many have observed, when adults have this procedure done...they feel like crap. Kids just heal and recover from this soooooo quickly.  There should be some good pain medicine available for him both there in the Same Day Surgery area, as well as for going home with.
If you would consider this prospective on the event, your son has a much greater risk riding with you in the car than he does undergoing the anesthesia and surgery.

Dont stop being protective of him, it means that you are a caring father. When he is in the OR, he is the most important person in the whole world to all the staff there.
I think that you will most likely have a harder time with the surgery than he will....dont worry that's normal.
Aloha,
wabi
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 11:46:39 PM EDT
[#11]
One good side effect of getting tonsils removed is no more sneeze nuggets.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 11:50:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
One good side effect of getting tonsils removed is no more sneeze nuggets.
View Quote

There goes the fun!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top