Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/29/2015 12:03:35 PM EDT
I say HOA, but it is actually a woman whose family develops neighborhoods among other things.  She is a damn tyrant and has thrown a hell of a fit after four or five trees were removed that she didn't want removed when we were clearing the lot.  She sent us a series emails telling us to "cease and desist" all building until she got a detailed explanation and we submitted a tree replacement proposal.  Then she immediately boarded a flight and will be overseas for a month.    

We were going to have to stop for a couple of weeks anyway to get loans and such squared away, so we were not real worried about it.  Well, now we can't get any response from her, so we have lawyered up and start building tomorrow.   She will likely cite the 45 day period that is afforded the association to approve any building or landscape work, so we will see what happens.  The lawyer feels confident about it (of course she does, she is getting paid) and most everyone we have talked to feels the same way and says she is just trying to project power that she doesn't have.  

We have tried hard to get along with the woman and not rock the boat, but the "getting along" period is over and when they show up, we are supposed to tell them to stay off of the property.  This is a special little snow flake that we are talking about, so things are likely to get interesting.  

Yes, HOAs are a nightmare.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:06:00 PM EDT
[#1]
We belong to an HOA.

$175 per year, so they can clear the weeds out of our lake and apply something that keeps the algae down.

Oh...and we have to rake our portion of the beach.

Tyrants.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:07:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I say HOA, but it is actually a woman whose family develops neighborhoods among other things.  She is a damn tyrant and has thrown a hell of a fit after four or five trees were removed that she didn't want removed when we were clearing the lot.  She sent us a series emails telling us to "cease and desist" all building until she got a detailed explanation and we submitted a tree replacement proposal.  Then she immediately boarded a flight and will be overseas for a month.    

We were going to have to stop for a couple of weeks anyway to get loans and such squared away, so we were not real worried about it.  Well, now we can't get any response from her, so we have lawyered up and start building tomorrow.   She will likely cite the 45 day period that is afforded the association to approve any building or landscape work, so we will see what happens.  The lawyer feels confident about it (of course she does, she is getting paid) and most everyone we have talked to feels the same way and says she is just trying to project power that she doesn't have.  

We have tried hard to get along with the woman and not rock the boat, but the "getting along" period is over and when they show up, we are supposed to tell them to stay off of the property.  This is a special little snow flake that we are talking about, so things are likely to get interesting.  

View Quote

My HOA threatened to put a lean on my house for parking my go-devil in the driveway over night before I went hunting.  I can't wait to tell mine to get fucked.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:07:48 PM EDT
[#3]
It's just another layer of government in your life.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:10:18 PM EDT
[#4]
LOL, HOAs.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:10:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine went after me for "storing" my boat overnight, hooked to my truck, ready for a 0400 departure for a fishing trip.  Fortunately someone on another board was an atty and looked up a precedent on Westlaw over the same issue in Miami Dade County.  Sent them a copy of the judge's decision that "storage" is defined as a long term solution.  Told em to get bent and haven't heard another word.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:10:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Pics of the tyrant overlord?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:12:08 PM EDT
[#7]
When building our house the hoa sent a letter about the pile of construction debris.

You couldn't see it from the road and I called them to enquire about the letter and why they were trespassing on my property to have even seen the pile.

No more letters received,  haaaa, imagine that.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:13:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I am on our HOA for my neighborhood. Just foreclosed on a house. We're thinking of turning it into a clubhouse.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We belong to an HOA.

$175 per year, so they can clear the weeds out of our lake and apply something that keeps the algae down.

Oh...and we have to rake our portion of the beach.

Tyrants.
View Quote

$800/yr here. For watering some grass.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:14:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
LOL, HOAs.
View Quote

Yeah, they're not real popular around here.  Just a few around in upper class neighborhoods.  Even so, people tend to be more easy going around these parts and you kind of have to push it to the limit to get shit started.
 We have a tendency to tell people to "Get fucked" around here.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:14:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I am on our HOA for my neighborhood. Just foreclosed on a house. We're thinking of turning it into a clubhouse.
View Quote

It's nice when it all works out in the end.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:15:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Fuck having someone tell me what i can and can't do on my property.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:17:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd need to read the covenants to which you agreed when you bought the property before deciding whether to get all excited about your situation.

I'm amazed at how many people just buy property without reading the obligations that bind the parcel they're buying, then whine about having to follow the rules later.

Suckers.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:17:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got a summer rental property at the beach with an HOA and I'm very happy with it so far. Keeps the place looking great, keeps the riff raff out, makes it a very pleasant place I never have to worry about.

But I'd NEVER live there. Fuck anyone telling me what I can or cannot do with my home.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:20:29 PM EDT
[#15]
You live in a HOA and then bitch.
Whatever dude.

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:24:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm the only maintence man for a large property management company. I have 95 condo associations to maintain. Dealing with HOAs is a real bitch.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:25:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought a house that had a HOA once...key word is once.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:26:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a friend in FL who live in a HOA place. They sent him a letter about his mailbox because the flag was the wrong shade of red.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:27:09 PM EDT
[#19]
When we went shopping for our current house, the first thing I told the realtor was "No HOAs. We won't even look at a house with an HOA."
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:29:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:30:16 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote

This board is filled with people that will do exactly that.  "Muh property value!".
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:30:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

And paying them to do it! Fuk that.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:30:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
LOL, HOAs.
View Quote

I love my HOA.  Assures my nice neighborhood stays nice.  They are also nothing like the horror stories I read here.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:32:15 PM EDT
[#24]
We have a HOA for the park at the lake,  I can do whatever the hell I want on my property.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:33:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Every HOA thread makes me think of that episode of the X-Files where they summon some sort of demon thing to kill you if you aren't code compliant by nightfall.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:34:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Maybe don't buy a place in a HOA if you don't like it?  People that bitch about HOA's seem like martyrs to me.  Its not like you didn't know that before you bought the house.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:37:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
LOL, HOAs.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:39:04 PM EDT
[#28]
30$ a quarter but the 'HOA' isnt an actual HOA.

It's only purpose is to maintain the pond, the horse stables (you get horse privileges but have to pay to board them) and is required to approve the construction plans of any houses being built. This is to ensure that someone doesn't buy the lot behind someone and decided to put up a double-wide or a 700 sq ft house.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:39:13 PM EDT
[#29]

I do what I want.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:39:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Hits self in head with hammer, yet wonders why he has a headache.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:40:10 PM EDT
[#31]
I flatly refuse to even consider a house covered by an HOA.

I still managed to find lots of houses to look at.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:40:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Tag for hilarity, at whomever's expense.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:43:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It's just another layer of government in your life.
View Quote

+1

Exactly.  People who defend HOA's seem to think those that who do not are living in a lawless, post-apocalyptic world.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:44:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Maybe don't buy a place in a HOA if you don't like it?  People that bitch about HOA's seem like martyrs to me.  Its not like you didn't know that before you bought the house.
View Quote

This.  While I'm sure they exist, I've never heard a HOA bitching story from someone who lived somewhere prior to the HOA being created.  There was that one guy who had one on his back but his house wasn't even in the neighborhood but that's different.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:45:05 PM EDT
[#35]

Do you have to sleep in the water or can you at least lay out a blanket on the grass?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:47:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
30$ a quarter but the 'HOA' isnt an actual HOA.

It's only purpose is to maintain the pond, the horse stables (you get horse privileges but have to pay to board them) and is required to approve the construction plans of any houses being built. This is to ensure that someone doesn't buy the lot behind someone and decided to put up a double-wide or a 700 sq ft house.
View Quote

That is an actual HOA.

What some of these guys are describing is the same concept as twisted by a bunch of petty fuckwits.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:49:33 PM EDT
[#37]
We're just about done with our tyrant HOA, house will be out of our hands on the 15th of July.

Where we've moved to has an HOA but it's a joke, no enforcement whatsoever and half the cost of the old one.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:50:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Do you have to sleep in the water or can you at least lay out a blanket on the grass?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

In my truck.

from other side before the grass grew.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:50:47 PM EDT
[#39]
My HOA has lots of rues,etc...,but when the papers were filed to form it,the developers forgot to include any penalties for violations.An attorney told them it would take 100 percent agreement among the property owners to amend the rules to add penalties.Not much chance of that happening.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:52:31 PM EDT
[#40]
We belong to an HOA. $240/yr to maintain our HOA swimming pool and grounds. They have trouble finding people to be the HOA officers. I think next year I'll stage a coup and become president.

They never enforce shit as far as building and landscaping, which is the way I like it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:52:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

In my truck.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/louisianarebel14/IMG_20141226_091308_zpsrveqjysg.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In my truck.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/louisianarebel14/IMG_20141226_091308_zpsrveqjysg.jpg

Looks like a slice of heaven to me.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:53:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Sounds like a great recipe to ensure that she is constantly trying to screw you over forever. Someone with that personality type will not only carry a grudge but will also be vengeful enough to always be actively looking for petty crap to get you on. Prepare to get letters when you grass is .05"  too high.

That said it seems like there is nothing else to do at this point, good luck.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:53:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

I hope you realize that if you had aquatic plant life, you wouldn't get algae blooms, and you would also have fish.

You're literally paying your HOA to create a problem, and then sorta-kinda fix the problem that they caused.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:54:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I hope you realize that if you had aquatic plant life, you wouldn't get algae blooms, and you would also have fish.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We do have fish.  Part of the $175 goes toward keeping the lake stocked with a healthy supply of smallies.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:58:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

If the CCR's were silent on tree removal I'd have been tempted to clear the lot.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:02:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Why the fuck are you building in a fucking HOA in the first place? Do you enjoy living under petty tyrants and communist uniformity?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:04:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your HOA can fucking foreclose on people?! Jesus tittyfucking Christ.

Another reason to never live in Kali.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:05:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Yup, for failure to pay HOA dues. You as the owner signed the contract. How is that different from any other obligations one has in home ownership?

To each his own I guess. I appreciate what an HOA does to ensure a neighborhood is somewhat uniform, maintains the look of common grounds and is able to deal with idiots.

My wife's family lives in the city and no HOA. Their yard is a joke with weeds three feet high. They get letters from the city telling them to clean their front and back yards.

In our HOA, we fine you for any weed growth that is not addressed in an orderly manner.

We had a couple try to paint their house salmon pink. Nah, I don't think so. We forced them to repaint their whole house. Like someone above said, read your HOA docs and CCR. If they would have come and received approval of their house paint color, they would be a lot richer.

Here in socal, where land is a premium, my house will bring in 75k more (than a non HOA home) since we have private park space that the HOA maintains.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:05:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:07:49 PM EDT
[#50]

"I own property in an HOA"

"Only property owners should be able to vote"

"HOA wants to put a lien on my house and fine me over growing corn and parking my truck in front of my house for a couple hours"

"The government is raping me on property taxes"

Its cheaper to buy/build outside an HOA. It's not all that hard

My sister and BIL bought a 1/4 acre 10 years ago in a pasture for $25k. It's HOA and they pay $350 a year for the roads that will never get fixed. Pot holes everywhere. The gate is also FUBARd

Shit...1/4 mile down the road there is an empty lot outside of the HOA for $5k for .5 acres.

Not to mention, right behind their house in the pasture that isn't part of HOA (land owner sectioned part of his land for development), is a compressor station that's loud as hell.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top