I live with my wife and 3 daughters.  They believe the
default position should be down
because it suits their requirements.  As a concerned
citizen, I lift the lid to make
sure it doesn't get sprinkled on
when I'm using it.  They claim
I should return it to the down
position when I'm done.  I politely refuse, and tell them
they need to learn how to operate the seat.  My logic?
If I can manipulate it for my
needs, they ought to be able to
do the same for theirs.

Petty, yes.  Stupider than which
way the TP goes on the roll?
Probably not.
Link Posted: 11/21/2000 6:44:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Up.  Probably because I'm the only one who uses my bathroom.

Hmm, Toilet paper on a roller? hahah.  I just throw a couple rolls up on the top of the toilet.  Its easier then to refill the roller every so often.
[smash]
Link Posted: 11/21/2000 6:56:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/21/2000 7:00:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Come on, Goatboy.  You're making
me look bad.  They wanted equal
rights, didn't they?
Link Posted: 11/21/2000 7:25:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I always put the cover down, thus returning the seat to the closed position.  
For the TP: The end of the roll must come up from behind, so if you are sitting on the seat, you would rotate the roll towards you.  If the TP is the other way, its just plain wrong, and a pain to get to when in need.

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/21/2000 8:07:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Just a short update: On the nite of the election, I drank a few too many on purpose. Many times, before 2:00a.m., I drained the old bladder. About 4:00a.m., the old bowls rumbled rather quickly. I ran to the bathroom and flopped down, and well, got wet. Heard wife laughing in the bed and all she said was, "Cold, isn't it".Before that time, I was like you. A man of logic and reason. Now, I do it for them, and for myself when I ain't thinking real quick.Like the man of old said, You never know how it feels till you walk a mile in my shoes.
Link Posted: 11/21/2000 8:55:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm of the same opinion as A3kid,
If I have to lift it to piss why should I have to put it back down when I'm done. Let the women do that when They have to go.
Link Posted: 11/21/2000 9:34:38 AM EDT
[#7]
HBarski: Your butt FITS in the toilet?  I've always checked for the seat, but i sorta doubt i could fit.  These 1.6 gallon toilets must have a smaller bowl.

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/21/2000 11:16:52 AM EDT
[#8]
They have arms also dont they? We are all capable of useing arms and fingers so I think they should use the same muscles we use to lift it. I get yelled at all the time, does it make a difference? Not really
Link Posted: 11/21/2000 11:52:06 AM EDT
[#9]
You just have to go try it one night in the dark.You'll throw your back out after you reach the point of no return, and realize that your goin in.
Link Posted: 11/21/2000 1:37:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Down and lid down, only 'cause it hasn't been cleaned in three months. (it's my roomates turn)
[puke]
Link Posted: 11/21/2000 2:32:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Down with the lid closed... too many critters wanting to go for "a swim" leads to wet seat... ewwww...

I have, in fact, fallen into the toilet on more than one occasion when it has been left up... really not happy about that.  

My rationale?  Any man in my home should want to keep me happy just as I would want to keep him happy.  Believe me, this is truly a minor issue. :D  

Link Posted: 11/21/2000 2:57:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I live in a all male dorm, so the toilet seat is left however we want to leave them. TP is left how ever the janitors hang them, and unfortunately the bowls are generally still filled with the same water they had in them at the begining of the semester (why is it so hard for people to remember to flush when they are done?)[:X*] .

Kyle
Link Posted: 11/21/2000 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Of all the things my wife and I argue about this is not one of them.I leave it up she leaves it down. We've been married 19 years. She does get pissed if we run out of TP though!
Link Posted: 11/21/2000 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Seat down, Lid down.

My girlfriend always leaves the lid up, and that bugs me for some reason. I guess it's because people poop in there, and I don't want to see the skids.[x]
Link Posted: 11/21/2000 6:53:03 PM EDT
[#15]
[size=6]anyone care to speculate where the toilet seat is left in janet reno's house?? anyone know if the rumor is true that reno has a urinal in her bathroom?
Link Posted: 11/22/2000 12:01:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Down. Women won't let go of the issue and I don't really care.

Stever, Cool! how do you change fonts?
Link Posted: 11/22/2000 5:44:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Wow!!  This thread needs to be flushed.!! [:D]  [:D]

[size=4][purple]Aggie1
Link Posted: 11/22/2000 7:00:38 PM EDT
[#18]
down saves the argument the spouse creates when it is left up.
Link Posted: 11/22/2000 7:06:08 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm with A3Kid in my mind, but it keeps the peace if I lower it
 [sex]
Link Posted: 11/22/2000 7:13:19 PM EDT
[#20]
A3KID,
In these day's of modern times I believe in equal rights,leave the lid up let them close it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2000 7:43:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Someone should invent a toilet lid that works like the trashcans with the foot levers that open their lids.  Problem solved..  I feel much better now.

[size=4][purple]Aggie1
Link Posted: 11/22/2000 8:18:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Down.  It's now habit forced upon me during 7 years of marrige to my ex-wife.  It also makes it easy on guests, and keeps things standard within the two housholds for my kids.  

Ross
Link Posted: 11/23/2000 5:53:15 AM EDT
[#23]
[:d] Toilet paper roll over the top to show print...unless you have cats or little kids who like to "flip the roll" and get the paper off and run around the damn house with it..then you put it in the  'under' position.

BTW, it looks like some of the similies do not work
[:d], [}:d], etc
Seat-ring DOWN and lid UP is the norm here..1. it keeps me from falling in if I happen to get up in the night for a dump [:)]..and  2. if we leave the seat-ring up, the Great Dane thinks she's spozta drink outta the d@mn things LOL
Link Posted: 11/23/2000 12:17:50 PM EDT
[#24]
I have been pottie trained after 19 years of blissful marriage.  It goes up when I use it standing, and back down for the wife.  It is a pain to fall in at 2 am in the dark!
Link Posted: 11/23/2000 4:30:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Down.....We have two dogs that love to drink if not....  Probably OK, but just seems sort of nasty.
Link Posted: 11/24/2000 11:42:21 AM EDT
[#26]
I don't get to do this [sex]
with the Fiancee if the seat
is left up. [:)>]

Cheers,
Chris
Link Posted: 11/24/2000 6:58:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Up in my bathroom, down in hers
Link Posted: 11/24/2000 9:35:48 PM EDT
[#28]
How about the cover? (for those who have them)  Some feel it is not proper for the cover to be up.  The toilets in my HS men's room have neither covers or seats.  

Some poor fools actually try to sit (squat) on them anyways, making a new seat out of toilet paper.  The less said about that the better.
Link Posted: 11/25/2000 6:43:29 AM EDT
[#29]
toilet seat is left in the halfcocked position for safety sake
Link Posted: 11/25/2000 11:15:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Seat down, lid down. Fished a cat out once, and that was enough.
Link Posted: 11/29/2000 3:09:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Up to the age of 10, I never heard any complaints from my mom about putting the seat down. Primarily because both my brother and I just peed into the toilet seat up or seat down. Little kids don't reall give a damn, as long as it's in the toilet. We did hear a lot of screaming "Put the seat up!".

Try pissing all over the seat a few times and I guarantee you won't hear any more complaints about leaving the lid up.

I mean how stupid can you be! If both lids are down, do you sit down and accidentally piss all over the closed lid?
Link Posted: 11/30/2000 3:22:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Lid and seat down.My german Sheppard will drain the bowl every time if not. The TP is usuall not on the roller but on the counter. Sheppard ate the roller and I wont buy another after the vet bill. [v]
Link Posted: 11/30/2000 4:44:59 PM EDT
[#33]
My Savannah Southern Belle grandmother taught me at an early age that a gentleman always leaves the seat (and cover) down out of respect for the ladies of the household. [smoke]
Link Posted: 12/3/2000 6:44:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Due to womens rights and all...
Many men have had to deal with the seat being down, and have not learned why a seat was desigend to be lifted in the first place...
This is evident across the nation by men urinating on the seat in many mens rooms when the urinal is too busy...
This then causes those of us that do need at that time to sit for other reasons to have to stop in our motions and inspect the seating area and (wipe up for those of us that can't be considerate) before proceeding to relieve ourselves..
Or is it that they think it is rebelling and can't figure out that they should rebel at home and not in public...
Ted...
Link Posted: 12/7/2000 11:36:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Get one of those funky looking asian toilets and don't worry about a seat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top