User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2001 3:05:54 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 3:07:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 3:10:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 3:36:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank Providence he did not pass out from loss of blood. I wish him a speedy recovery.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 3:41:19 PM EDT
[#4]
He's got my vote.

Link Posted: 7/12/2001 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I hope it wasn't his trigger finger!
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 4:48:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 4:58:34 PM EDT
[#7]
My mom had an uncle that lost his arm above the elbow in a grain auger. Farm equip. can be very dangerous, even if you are careful.

I do wish Mr. Wagner a speedy recovery.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 5:14:03 PM EDT
[#8]
dear lord, i dont think i would have the balls to take off my arm...
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 5:26:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Holy Sheeeet!

Have you hugged your arm today? I know I will!

I wish him well!
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 5:52:46 PM EDT
[#10]
This reminds me of that logger (I forget where) who had a leg get trapped under a falling tree, and amputated it himself, using a pocket knife. My boss's old man had the money for either dentures or getting his teeth pulled, but not both, so he pulled his own teeth in his barn with a pair of channel-lock pliers. Talk about balls.......
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 6:23:53 PM EDT
[#11]
No doubt Hardcore B.O.S.

I'd like to know how quick do these machines pull the hay in.
It can't be like a chipper/shredder machine that would suck you in before you had a chance to react.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 7:00:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Wonder if his uncle wrestled the hay bayler to shore?
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 7:10:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I think he coulda used "Arm of Steel" instead of "Balls os Steel" [0j]Subvertz
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 7:15:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 7:19:23 PM EDT
[#15]
We seem to get these stories at least once a year around here. My dad was lucky when he was young he only lost his right ring finger and they managed to sew it back on.

I remember back in the early 90's one kid lost both his arms. He managed to walk home and dial 911 and survived. He got his arms back but they didn't really work any more.

[IMG]http://www.contrabandent.com/pez/otn/violent/gore.gif[/IMG]  
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 7:24:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Surprisingly, this sort of thing isn't uncommon in farm country.
Farm equipment, to this day, have little or no safety features, with lots of moving/rotating parts and belts.
Farmers usually work alone far from other people.  
This has been done locally at least 4 times that I can remember.  Usually with a pocket knife.  As I remember, 3 of the 4 survived.
One of these guys amputated his own leg with a SMALL pocket knife, then dragged himself across a 140 acre farm to help.
A lot of farmers now carry cell phones.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 8:48:54 PM EDT
[#17]
MelonPopper, I was thinking of the same story myself. I think it happened in Penn. I was working on a farm at the time. When I got home that night, I sharpened my pocket knife.

Fred
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 9:09:30 PM EDT
[#18]
My uncle in Orgeon was running a bailer on his cattle ranch.It tangled up and he set the clutch and it slipped.The metal hook that grabs the hay got him between the middle and index finger. the only way was to cut up about 4 inches with his pocket knife.He told me he would never carry a dull knife agian!He passed away about a year latter.Massive heart attack.Probally due to a blod clot from the accident.

When he told me about the dull part matter of factly,IO was wondering how he walked when there that big.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 9:13:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Surprisingly, this sort of thing isn't uncommon in farm country.
Farm equipment, to this day, have little or no safety features, with lots of moving/rotating parts and belts.
Farmers usually work alone far from other people.  
This has been done locally at least 4 times that I can remember.  Usually with a pocket knife.  As I remember, 3 of the 4 survived.
One of these guys amputated his own leg with a SMALL pocket knife, then dragged himself across a 140 acre farm to help.
A lot of farmers now carry cell phones.
View Quote

you beat me to it faris,just about every other year this same story appears, just different names.about three years ago a boy of around 10years of age had to cut his dads leg off with a hacksaw. mmk
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 10:02:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I remember back in the early 90's one kid lost both his arms. He managed to walk home and dial 911 and survived. He got his arms back but they didn't really work any more.
View Quote

I saw a documentary on The Learning Channel last week that featured this guy. He is now able to use his arms surprisingly well, and can even drive. Amazing stuff, especially after seeing the pic they showed with both his arms laying on a tray prior to the re-attachment operation.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 11:17:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 11:35:09 PM EDT
[#22]
I thought this was a follow up to the dudes vasectomy yesterday  :)

As a farmer , I feel his pain and
pray for his recovery .

We sure are hard on ourselfs out here at times .

dP

Dairy Farmer , Self Surgeon , Gun Lover
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 6:25:32 AM EDT
[#23]
A dull pocket knife is one thing, but "a metal piece from his headset"?!?!  Holy sh*t.

Reminds me of the prank call to a bowling alley... [;)]  
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 7:33:44 AM EDT
[#24]
WOW!... WOW!... WOW!... That is all I can think of. WOW! Sucks that he lost the arm, but good that he is still alive.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 8:23:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 10:14:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Damn these evil farm machines! How many more innocent lives must be threatened before we ban them?!
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 3:44:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No doubt Hardcore B.O.S.

I'd like to know how quick do these machines pull the hay in.
It can't be like a chipper/shredder machine that would suck you in before you had a chance to react.
View Quote

We had a case like that here in Michigan a few years ago. A guy was tossing a tree limb into a shredder and it snagged him and pulled him through. The report in the paper said he was shredded in 1.5 seconds. They had to use DNA to identify him, apparently there was nothing bigger than about a half inch square left of him. [chainsawkill]
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 5:17:26 PM EDT
[#28]
"WOW" thats all I can say
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 11:57:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Damn these evil farm machines! How many more innocent lives must be threatened before we ban them?!
View Quote

Hear , Hear ... Lets go back to using women
and young children to carry the crops in from the fields ...  :-)

a neighbor was killed when his silo filler came apart at operating speed .. took his head clean off  ... Excederin could not even help  :-)

Have a nice day ...
dP
Farming , the most dangerous occupation
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top