Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/17/2009 6:13:17 AM EDT
147 years ago today - the Battle of Sharpsburg (Antietam).

Over 23,000 combined Union & Confederate casualties.

"Bloody Lane" after the battle.
EDIT: This is not a mass grave.  These brave Confederates died where they fell defending this sunken farm road.

"Bloody Lane" today

RIP all the brave souls North and South who made the ultimate sacrifice that day.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:15:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Blue scum!

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:16:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:16:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:22:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Coincidentally, it is also the anniversary of our Constitution...

also the anniversary of "Operation Market Garden"
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:25:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I wish people today believed in things strongly enough to fight for them.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:28:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:29:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

well said. I'll second that.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:30:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:30:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Those men held thier position, soaking up minie balls and shrapnel, and died by the thousands.

Say what you want...they were strong in their convictions.

Amazing photograph.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:33:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:37:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Casualty <> killed

Union:
2,108 killed
9,540 wounded
753 captured/missing

CSA:
1,546 killed
7,752 wounded
1,018 captured/missing

A sad day, though by the relative smallness of the casualties compared to so many European battles, it drives home just how lightly touched by war this country really is, for which we should all be thankful.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:41:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:43:31 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

23,000 American soldiers dead in one day.

It staggers the imagination.

The number of KIA is about 3700.  I'm not trying to dimish our history, but the Brits had 19,000 dead on the first day of the Battle of the Somme in 1916.  

The greatest tragedy is all of those Americans who died only to have the nation and Constitution they fought for desecrated and systematically dismantled less than 150 years later.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:45:30 AM EDT
[#14]
WOW!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:47:45 AM EDT
[#15]
I went to high school in Hagerstown and we used to swim at a rope swing on the Antietam. Hard to imagine the whole thing running red with blood. If you get a chance, go to the luminary memorial at night. It's crazy to drive through there, surrounded by little candle lights that never end. These aren't my pictures, just googled them.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:50:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

especially when one considers that the US population at that time was *significantly* smaller than it is now.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:06:34 AM EDT
[#17]
RIP

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:08:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The number of KIA is about 3700.  I'm not trying to dimish our history, but the Brits had 19,000 dead on the first day of the Battle of the Somme in 1916.  

I decided against bringing that one up, but yes, and the examples could be multiplied.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:35:47 AM EDT
[#19]
but the Brits had 19,000 dead on the first day of the Battle of the Somme in 1916. ...

At least the South had competant general officers....

My grandfather was in several of the battles back then. He was in a unit on the line, went back to hit the latrine. By the time he got back there had been an arty barrage that wiped out his entire company.
Dpessed over losing his friends, he volunteered to drive a nitro truck, was one of the first motorcycle couriers, was gassed 3 times. Once while riding the motorcycle, he ran into a gas cloud and fell off the motorcycle. Lucked out and rolled into a ditch. The sun was out and was warming the ground and the gas cloud was already lifting. Save his life. Puked green stuff for his whole life until his death in 1984.
Was in the Border Patrol after WWI. What a guy!

Bless all our ancestors who put their lives on the line and all those people who currently do!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:11:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:14:37 AM EDT
[#21]
"I guess we all died a little in that damn war..." The Outlaw Josey Wales

In remembrance of all the brave men and women who died on both sides, from a son of the Confederacy - pale_pony
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:18:44 AM EDT
[#22]
the rebel flag is gay
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:23:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
but the Brits had 19,000 dead on the first day of the Battle of the Somme in 1916. ...

At least the South had competant general officers....

My grandfather was in several of the battles back then. He was in a unit on the line, went back to hit the latrine. By the time he got back there had been an arty barrage that wiped out his entire company.
Dpessed over losing his friends, he volunteered to drive a nitro truck, was one of the first motorcycle couriers, was gassed 3 times. Once while riding the motorcycle, he ran into a gas cloud and fell off the motorcycle. Lucked out and rolled into a ditch. The sun was out and was warming the ground and the gas cloud was already lifting. Save his life. Puked green stuff for his whole life until his death in 1984.
Was in the Border Patrol after WWI. What a guy!

Bless all our ancestors who put their lives on the line and all those people who currently do!

I've been watching programs on WWI on the Military Channel a lot lately. That war was the definition of carnage and suffering. Once the trenches were dug, there was little movement in the lines for over two years. Just lots of killing over and over again to accomplish nothing. Most of Europe was still rulled by monarchies then, and the common man/soldier was considered expendable. I fear that we are currently ruled by such a monarch.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:29:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Those men held thier position, soaking up minie balls and shrapnel, and died by the thousands.

Amazing photograph.

Interesting.

Saw some episode of a show, "Battlefield Detectives?". They indicated that because of the rise and fall of the terrain the confed troops didn't know how close on to them the fed troops were until it was too late.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:32:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
the rebel flag is gay

This is a memorial thread.  Take this fail somewhere else
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:40:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
the rebel flag is gay
  STFU and have some respect for the flag that so many Americans died under. Regardlss of what side you think was right those men made the ultimate sacrifice for what they believed. I doubt someone like you can even fathom that. Anyway Fuck you very much and thanks for stopping by.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:40:41 AM EDT
[#27]
In Darkest of Days, you play as a time traveler who goes back in time to locate and protect a soldier (who's future bloodline is important) in the Battle of Antietam.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:41:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
the rebel flag is gay

This is a memorial thread.  Take this fail somewhere else

This!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:44:23 AM EDT
[#29]
That's a huge number for the technology available at the time. WWI had machine guns, it ushered in a whole new era in war.

When you consider the casualties came via muzzleloader, that is a WHOLE lot of fighting and killing. WWI was just more efficient.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:44:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
the rebel flag is gay

Just shut your whore mouth. Your post is not relevant to the thread so just get the fuck out.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:45:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
the rebel flag is gay

That's un-called for, it is American History and very un-patriotic of you to disgrace their memory in this manner. God Bless the brave soldiers on both sides.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:46:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
the rebel flag is gay

Too sick to go to school today?

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:53:10 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

the rebel flag is gay

There's one in every crowd.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:58:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:59:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
the rebel flag is gay

I concur
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:00:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
the rebel flag is gay

You rude fuck.... Go somewhere else with your bitching.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:00:37 AM EDT
[#37]
I was able to participate in a living history at the Antietam National Battlefield back in August. it was a very sobering experience. I got to stand exactly where my ancestors stood, sleep on the same ground, wear the same clothes and eat the same food. But, I'll never know the feeling they had during the battle. Antietam is a very special place to me.
Standing where my ancestors foungt (near Burnside's Bridge)

Burnside's Bridge

Marching to the Sunken Rd

Dunkard Church

Portraying the 6th AL in the Bloody Lane
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:01:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
the rebel flag is gay

What flag will you fly when you feel the Federal government has gone too far? A fucking rainbow?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:05:18 AM EDT
[#39]
There's something about standing some where like that isn't there? A feeling in the back of your neck that says pay attention this place matters.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:09:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amazing photograph.

Interesting.

Saw some episode of a show, "Battlefield Detectives?". They indicated that because of the rise and fall of the terrain the confed troops didn't know how close on to them the fed troops were until it was too late.

Perhaps you're miss-remembering. Gen. Hill's outnumbered troops fought from that lane for hours. Please do a little research and get back to us.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:10:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
"I guess we all died a little in that damn war..." The Outlaw Josey Wales

In remembrance of all the brave men and women who died on both sides, from a son of the Confederacy - pale_pony

Some day I hope to shake your hand for that noble remark.  My ancestry included people who fought on both sides, and some who were made to sit on the sidelines in the Rocky Mountains.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:24:59 AM EDT
[#42]
The 11th Connecticut was one of the many regiments that attempted to storm the ford near Burnside's Bridge. Their commander was Col. Henry Kingsbury. He would fall mortally wounded that day pierced by 4 bullets. The men opposing them were from Toombs' Georgian Brigade assigned to David R. Jones' Division.

General Jones was Col. Kinsbury's brother-in-law. He would never forgive himself for killing a member of his family, crushed by the grief, he would soon succumb to an ailing heart and die January 15th 1863.

I can't imagine having to experience something so tragic. The personal loss and the loss and maiming of so many Americans.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:30:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Casualty <> killed

Union:
2,108 killed
9,540 wounded
753 captured/missing

CSA:
1,546 killed
7,752 wounded
1,018 captured/missing

A sad day, though by the relative smallness of the casualties compared to so many European battles, it drives home just how lightly touched by war this country really is, for which we should all be thankful.

Interesting.  The dead are right around the number from 9/11.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:47:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The greatest tragedy is all of those Americans who died only to have the nation and Constitution they fought for desecrated and systematically dismantled less than 150 years later.

Check out French Losses from WW I.  For all  the France jokes that fly, the
carnage they experienced in WW I is unimaginable.   1.4M Killed, and 4.2M
wounded for a country less than 1/2 of the US.  40 times more than the US
based on population.  Considering that the impact was focused on young
men 18-30, you have to wonder if any of them came back.

This explains that lack of willingness to stay in the fight longer in WW II.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_I_casualties
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:50:15 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the rebel flag is gay

What flag will you fly when you feel the Federal government has gone too far? A fucking rainbow?

He's too big of a coward to even reveal his location.  Just a troll, from under the bridge.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:58:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Been there many times. It is a very beautiful place too.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:04:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
the rebel flag is gay

I concur

This is a classic example of a public school education that teaches the South was full of racist oppressors,
while the North were enlightened freedom-seekers for slaves...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:08:14 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

(Casualties, I stand corrected.)

The Brits had over 19,000 killed on the first day of the Somme.

Boggles the mind, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:10:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:

(Casualties, I stand corrected.)

The Brits had over 19,000 killed on the first day of the Somme.

Boggles the mind, doesn't it?

It does.  I've sat in auditoriums with approx. 1000 people.  Looking around you realize very fast what a large number of people that is.  19,000 in one day is staggering.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:11:42 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

the rebel flag is gay

I support Union in that war through and through, but this IS not the place to be saying that. This is a memorial thread.

God Bless the soldiers on both sides.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top