Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 8/25/2006 1:15:16 AM EDT
...and was pleasantly surprised!

System is a Dimension 5150 desktop,with the standard 1 year Collect & Return warranty. It's about 2 weeks old and the CPU fan decided it's going to run flat-out all the time.

Rang in and had a couple of minutes wait to speak to a technician (in India). We went through the problem and he said they'd collect the machine and replace it. I asked if they could do a service call and replace the parts as the system was so new. He checked with his manager who ok'd that - so they're coming next Tuesday to sort it out (Monday is a holiday here in the UK). When we'd finished, his manager came on the phone asking if I was satisfied with the support I'd been given - and was there anything they could improve upon! Total time on the phone was just over 29 minutes.

It's been a while since I've needed to call support, and am now highly impressed. Much better than it used to be.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 1:35:46 AM EDT
I've got an ASUS mobo which came with "cool and quiet" software to control the fan speed....utter garbage so I uninstalled it. I've now installed a 4 fan controller unit and temp readout.

I was wondering if you had software installed to control your processor fan speed?.
Or is it an hardware problem?

Just curious ...even so it's remarkable that you've recieved such good after sales support.

Cheers
Taffy
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 3:49:08 AM EDT
All hardware... Apparently the CPU has two sets of diode sensors for the heat - one to turn the fan up, and the other to shut the system down. The system fan controller works - as the Dell diagnostic program can control it's speed ok.

Most likely failure is the mobo. (Altohugh they are going to change the mobo, CPU, and fan assembly to make sure!)
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 3:55:21 AM EDT
dells give YOU no control on fan speed.

now the asus on the other hand you should be able to control the speed on of the fans in the bios. the cpu fan. not case fans
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 4:45:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cruze5:
dells give YOU no control on fan speed.

now the asus on the other hand you should be able to control the speed on of the fans in the bios. the cpu fan. not case fans

You are right but having the controler allows quick acces to temp readings and control of the fan speed including my processor speed.

I've just had an amazing expierience with a call centre I'll probably post in the UKHTF later
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 8:29:50 AM EDT
I called for tech support the other day because we couldn't get one of their PowerVaults to work with one of the servers. Wait time was under 5 mins, spent a total of 98 minutes on the phone with them... and they used their remote connection deal to enter our system and see what was going on. Luckily we had the 4 hour service, so they shipped us a new unit and the courier was at the door waiting for us at the office door the next day.

Great service this time around.

-d
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 8:51:00 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 11:58:56 AM EDT
The UK seems to be having a turn around with outsourcing telesales/support abroad.

A lot of the big companies out there are using the fact they do not outsource abroad as advertising.

I'm all for it.

Beside not only can I not understand some of them ....they cannot understand me either..
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 3:03:20 PM EDT
I use to work for Dell. My job was out sourced. Hope they go belly up
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 3:06:15 PM EDT
Here's what happed today...

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=5&t=241662

Taffy
Top Top