Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2007 2:35:18 PM EDT
I've been in a "anti-gas grill" phase for the last two years.

I basically let my stainless charboil grill just sit there.

So the other day I took it all apart clean it out and got it working like new again(if you let em sit, they fade fast) and I decided I'm more then willing to sacrifice taste for ease of use.

Don't get me wrong, I have lighting charcoal down to a T, but there's nothing like being able to come home from work and just throw your meat on the grill and get r done.

So I've decided, charcoal on weekends and gas during the week and I'm perfectly fine with that.

Cheers
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:37:20 PM EDT
[#1]
IBTCGLYOF

In Before The Charcol Guys Light You On Fire

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:39:27 PM EDT
[#2]
a true grill master will have a gas grill, a charcoal grill, and a smoker. There's a place and time for each one.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:40:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
a true grill master will have a gas grill, a charcoal grill, and a smoker. There's a place and time for each one.

Does a propane smoker count?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:41:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

A wise man...  
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not a fan of charcoal.

It leaves a weird taste on the food, and I smell like burnt charcoal the next day after eating food grilled on charcoal.  

I'm sure I'm in the minority here.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:56:14 PM EDT
[#6]
If want a really good bbq, get one of those patio cast aluminum fireplaces which allows the chimney to be taken off and has a grill underneath.  Get a good fire going, and cook up a nice steak.  It's a long process, obviously, but worth it once in awhile.  Best done in the Fall and Winter.

Here is mine.  It's pricey, but built well.

www.thebluerooster.com/catalog/venetian-chiminea-outdoor-fireplace-p-28.html
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:57:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

It leaves a weird taste on the food, and I smell like burnt charcoal the next day after eating food grilled on charcoal.  

Sounds like you're not doing something right if that's the case.

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:58:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

So the other day I took it all apart clean it out and got it working like new again(if you let em sit, they fade fast) and I decided I'm more then willing to sacrifice taste for ease of use.

Don't get me wrong, I have lighting charcoal down to a T, but there's nothing like being able to come home from work and just throw your meat on the grill and get r done.

So I've decided, charcoal on weekends and gas during the week and I'm perfectly fine with that.

Cheers

Turbo Torch with Mapp Gas...takes 2 minutes to light a hotspot...walk away. Pick a coal at the bottom of the pile....blow the torch...Done
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:59:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cheers

Turbo Torch with Mapp Gas...takes 2 minutes to light a hotspot...walk away. Pick a coal at the bottom of the pile....blow the torch...Done

Who who the what what

I just set them up in a pyramid, spray with lighter fluid, let soak for 40-60 seconds, use a match around the base of the pyramid and walk away for 40 minutes.

I come back to all grey coals and I'm ready to rock.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:00:19 PM EDT
[#10]
MAPP gas is the best for lighting charcoal, also leftover charcoal.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:01:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

That doesn't sound very cost effective.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:07:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That doesn't sound very cost effective.

It's actually pretty cheap, if you don't count the cost of the torch itself ($50). Those torches are very handy to have beyond cooking.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:08:19 PM EDT
[#13]
It does not take much.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:52:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I have all three (the charcoal because we couldn't have gas when I was in the apartment, just a $30 walmart cheapie, but I used it all winter).

For my gas grill (stainless with natural gas conversion) I have one of the cast iron smoker boxes. It doesn't work great and it cuts my cooking area in half, but it DOES work to give me some of that smokey goodness. It is designed to go between the burners and the grate, however, on my char broil grill the burners have heat dispersers that are higher than the burner and there is no room to put the smoker box between that and the grate. Still, I am single so typically only cook for 1-2 so I just take off one grate and leave the smoker box on the other side. Turn those two burners on high, one of the two right burners on low, come back 5 minutes later to a pre-heated grill and put the meat on.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:58:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I have gas and caveman grills.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:00:28 PM EDT
[#17]
{Hank Hill} Propane,GODS GAS {Hank Hill}
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:02:39 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cheers

Who who the what what

I just set them up in a pyramid, spray with lighter fluid, let soak for 40-60 seconds, use a match around the base of the pyramid and walk away for 40 minutes.

I come back to all grey coals and I'm ready to rock.

Accelerants suck. Get a chimney starter or use a torch like swhitney mentioned for starting charcoal.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:07:11 PM EDT
[#19]
wally world carries a gas grill with spots for 4 chunks of charcoal, the gas burners light up the charcoal giving you a little taste of the smoke flavor.

I prefer the taste of charcoal cooked food but like the ease of a gas grill
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:50:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Don't use lighter fluid, use a chimney to start it. No funny odor or taste.

Edit.. I use a fish cooker burner to start the charcoal in the chimney. Only takes 10-15 minutes. This speeds up the process. Almost as fast as a gas grill with an "oh so good taste"
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:20:14 PM EDT
[#21]

This thread was worthless without the King of Propane
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:28:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top