Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2012 9:02:16 PM EDT
You guys can probably get into anything. My question to you folks is this. If you can open any lock.... using the same  tools to open a lock without making a key, can you re-lock what you have gotten into?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:11:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Most low security locks  wont require you to rotate the pins around far enough to need to break the plane again, so you should be able to pick, turn and then use the knob.
Probably get better depth of explanation from a non drinker tonight...
But, if you do reset the pins while unlocking, then you just re pick them and go backwards.

also...just noticed my post to you took me 1 post over your count. wierd.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:30:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess what I am asking here is can you re-lock a dead bolt lock using a lock picker without making a key?

Ya! Guess fate must have come into play here with the post count. Sounds like you may know something of what you speak.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:33:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I guess what I am asking here is can you re-lock a dead bolt lock using a lock picker without making a key?

Yes.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:35:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow! You guys sure know your stuff! I guess in the hands of a good thief, no one is safe.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:36:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Ya! Guess fate must have come into play here with the post count. Sounds like you may know something of what you speak.

Yes.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:54:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks folks for the info! Learn something new every day!
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:33:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not a pro or even a hobbyist but I unlocked and relocked a deadbolt once with a pick gun so it definitely can be done
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:40:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm not a pro or even a hobbyist but I unlocked and relocked a deadbolt once with a pick gun so it definitely can be done

How long did it take for you to do it?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#9]
If it takes longer than a minute of picking, I switch to a different pick, and even on a bad day you should make some good progress in a couple minutes at most. Picking and resetting a few times gives you the feel for the lock, and you can quickly progress on through. With a pick gun, it can be as fast as 1 or 2 clicks, and you are in. That was the most amazing part of locksmith school, when the veil of false security fell away and you realize how easy most common usage locks are to bypass.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 2:31:36 PM EDT
[#10]
This is why you get something like an Abloy Protec or ASSA V-10, make them earn their money
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 2:37:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Sometimes one will encounter a lock that is easy to pick on one direction and just does not want to be picked in the other.  In this case a tool called a spinner will allow one to either re-lock or unlock as needed.

I have picked cheap entry locks and dead bolts with appropriately bent paper clips.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 2:44:00 PM EDT
[#12]
How fitting. I enjoy mechanical "puzzles".

I got my pick set in the mail today. Now I get to see if I can do it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:08:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If it takes longer than a minute of picking, I switch to a different pick, and even on a bad day you should make some good progress in a couple minutes at most. Picking and resetting a few times gives you the feel for the lock, and you can quickly progress on through. With a pick gun, it can be as fast as 1 or 2 clicks, and you are in. That was the most amazing part of locksmith school, when the veil of false security fell away and you realize how easy most common usage locks are to bypass.

Buddy of mine was a 'smith in training and gave me a rundown.
Master locks especially surprised me as to how easy they are to pick.

Locks keep honest people honest, thats about it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top