Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2004 5:13:01 AM EDT
Well, I have three kids, two with a previous wife and a new baby with my current wife and we don't want any more and frankly I can't afford any more kids.  Well, obvously the easiest fix is to snip the ol' plumbing but I know of at least one guy that said he had problems with swelling of the boys for a long time with considerable pain.

I am sure someone here has been through the works and I am looking for some oppinions.  I am just a little anxius about somebody hanging ut down there with a knife unless perhaps I can find a good looking female Doc to do the snip
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:16:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Make son look like dad.

Don't research this on the Net, because there are too many opinions.  You will never find any facts.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:17:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:08:16 AM EDT
[#3]
It's no big deal.  Ice and ibuprofin for the first 24 - 48 hours with no excessive movement and you'll be fine.  I had some increased sensitivity (and occasional slight pain)  for the first 6 -8 months off and on but now 13 months later I feel the same I did before it was done.  Look for NSV (no scalpel vasectomy) the recovery time is quicker with less chance of infection.  In NSV the doc works thru a small hole rather than an incision.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:10:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh you are going to get buried........yep had it done...it was VERY painful for a few days, the painful for a few weeks, then uncomfortable for months, then whooo-hooo NO RAIN COAT.
The difficult part is return the "sample" to the office...and waiting for the negative results...I apparently could get a women pregnant just by standing near her......
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:12:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
 Look for NSV (no scalpel vasectomy) the recovery time is quicker with less chance of infection.  In NSV the doc works thru a small hole rather than an incision.

They make the hole by using forceps to RIP a hole in your ballsack.... I choose the cut!

Either way you get a hole somehow, I would go with the less traumatic way, let him use the scalpel.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:15:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Had mine done two years ago. They were a little tender for a short time, but no big deal. And a ditto to the "no raincoat" sentiment. It's an awfully good feeling to know that you can do it anytime with anyone (if'n you were in the single position again) and not have to worry about another mouth to feed. Yeah, when I think about it it bums me out that I no longer have the powers of procreation, but the benefits still outweigh that fact.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:16:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I apparently could get a women pregnant just by standing near her......

Immaculate conception?????????
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:19:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:19:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Things were tender for a few days, I heeded the doc's advice and sayed in bed with an ice pack for 24 hours.  Fathering children means taking resposibility for them, and at 45, it was time to acknowledge the calendar.   It's kinda fun to have a certified playtoy.   Ops
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:41:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I've wondered about this... after you have it done is it still possible to draw the sperm from the nads to artificially inseminate if you decided later you wanted another child? I know I'm setting myself up for a lot of shit house PHD's to give me a lot of mixed signals, but I'll listen anyway... and I don't mean to hijack the thread...

If yes you can draw and articially inseminate, then by all means do it... it's certainly better than having the wifes guts removed or having her on the pill and having to deal with the mood swings and all the other joys of chemically altering bodliy functions.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:56:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd do it except for the fact that I have a stern policy---anyone who comes near my nads with a knife gets shot.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 8:05:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I had a bad recovery for a week but now it is all good.
(I decided to pick up stuff and do other bending I shouldn't have)
It is so nice not having to worry about consequences.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 8:07:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I was a competetive cyclist back in '98 when I had mine done. There were a few uneasy moments on the bike for a few months afterward but nothing too terrible. I had the no stitch procedure done. They force pointed forcepts through the sack's centerline and pull everything out to work on it. The surgery itself had moments of intense pain but they are very brief. The wound is so small that they just put a bandage on it and it heals itself. Very little blood and no stitches to be pulled out later. You just lay low for a couple of days after the surgery.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 8:16:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Ice will be your best friend.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 8:18:22 AM EDT
[#15]
I've not had it done, but my friends and family members who have are positive about the procedure.  A few days of dull soreness, and then (after testing and approval) start enjoying the benefits.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:38:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Get your stuff saved . Even though they say they can reverse it . Sometimes they can't.My friend ended up divorced from his wife because they couldn't reverse his .

Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:04:39 AM EDT
[#17]
When I got snipped, I told the wife that the doctor said that it was extremely important that I not let the pressure build up in the sperm ducts for a week and that I should make sure that they were "drained" at least twice a day.

Unfotunately she didn't buy it, but it's always worth a try
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:12:59 AM EDT
[#18]
I did it and the best thing I ever did.

The pain and swelling (and my Johnson turning purple for a week) was all worth the freedom and spontaneity I have now with my wife.

Funny (but true) story....

My wife took me to the office for the Big "V".  (10-5-94..a day that will live in Infamy).

She saw that there was a Male Doc and Female Nurse in the procedure room with me.

After it was all done she asked me what the nurse was doing in there.  I don't know why or how I came up with this story so quickly, but I said,

"Her job was to keep me erect because the sperm chord/vas deferens had to be taut when it was cut so that it would be cut in the correct place and retract properly."

I forgot all about that conversation.

A YEAR LATER..........

She is on the phone talking to her sister who is explaining her husband is going to get a vasectomy.  My wife begins to relate the nurse in charge of the erection story!!!  Talk about ROTFLMAO !!!  Boy did I get my butt kicked when she realized I yanked HER chain !!

PS - I do recall the smell of burning flesh when the doc cauterized the ends of the sperm chord.

Enuff about me...........
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:20:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Did you hear about the the guy who went back to the doc for the test to make sure that he was shooting blanks ?

The nurse reaches down, whips out his Johnso and starts stroking it in order to get a sample.

He figures "Hey, this is great!"....then he looks over and sees the guy in the next room getting a BJ

He looks over at the doc and says "Hey, why does he get a BJ and I only get a handjob??!!!"

Without missing a beat, the doc says "He's on a PPO plan, you're with an HMO"
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:24:23 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Did you hear about the the guy who went back to the doc for the test to make sure that he was shooting blanks ?
The nurse reaches down, whips out his Johnso and starts stroking it in order to get a sample.
He figures "Hey, this is great!"....then he looks over and sees the guy in the next room getting a BJ
He looks iver at the doc and says "Hey, why does he get a BJ and I only get a handjob??!!!"
Without missing a beat, the doc says "He's on a PPO plan, your with an HMO"

Dude... your avatar is so appropriate for this thread it's frightening.

LABLOVER: Funny story.... had me
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:51:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Still firing live rounds here, though I have considered it....

I do remember when my Dad got his done a few years back. He made the mistake of ignoring Doc's orders not to take
a bath for x-amount of time afterwards. Plopped down in a steaming hot tub. Needless to say, he was a majorly
unhappy camper for the next few days afterward.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:08:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Do it... Had it done many years back... There's a bit of swelling for a day or three, just sit on some ice packs, watch movies and eat pizza.  Take it easy for a few weeks before you start any sort of heavy lifting or exercise.  Short term, there's a bit of pain but it fades off within a few days to a dull ache.  Long term, after a month or so there's not much discomfort.  Wear a jock strap for a week or two afterward to keep the bouncing to a minimum...

The worse part of the whole thing was seeing my ballsack all swollen and bruised green/black for the first couple of days...
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:37:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Bobp...it took a full six months for me to get two negative results.......every week for six months I had to do a load by hand and take it to the nurse.......
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:39:43 PM EDT
[#24]
My own father did a few years ago and parents seem to be getting along better than ever -- really.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:41:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I still believe it contributes to prostate cancer, so I'd never do it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:48:20 PM EDT
[#26]
What a strange club this is. The V is worth it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top