Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/5/2012 6:48:11 AM EDT
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/07/05/titanic-discoverer-ship-finds-turkish-pilots/?test=latestnews

The bodies of two Turkish pilots were recovered from the seabed on Thursday after U.S. ocean explorer Robert Ballard, best known for discovering the wreck of the Titanic, helped locate them nearly two weeks after their jet was shot down by Syria....

A Turkish official said Ballard, aboard his deep-sea exploration vessel R/V Nautilus, found the bodies Wednesday 8.6 nautical miles off the Syrian coast after the Turkish navy had pinpointed the area. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly...

Ballard led the international team that discovered the RMS Titanic in 1985, and also found the wrecks of the battleship Bismarck and the World War II PT-109 torpedo patrol boat that John F. Kennedy commanded.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 6:53:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Does he wear a Doxa?
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:03:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Tequila, rocks with a squit of lime....
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:05:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I have questions about who pays for some of Ballard's toys.  I have no doubt who pays for them, but I have questions.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:13:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have questions about who pays for some of Ballard's toys.  I have no doubt who pays for them, but I have questions.  

I believe his automated high speed back-patter was privately financed.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:15:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Go on.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:21:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

WHOI is a private, non-profit institution.  It gets grant money from the Naitonal Science Foundation and private institutions.

Some of WHOI's funding comes from the Navy, on projects of interest to them, but it is by no means the lion's share.

Ballard is a retired Navy commander.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:23:33 AM EDT
[#7]
They found PT-109?
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:24:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

WHOI is a private, non-profit institution.  It gets grant money from the Naitonal Science Foundation and private institutions.

Some of WHOI's funding comes from the Navy, on projects of interest to them, but it is by no means the lion's share.

WHOI is a terrific organization. certainly more productive and useful than NOAA and it's idiotic "officers corps"
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:29:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They found PT-109?

About ten years ago or so.

For some reason it didn't get much notice in the news as I recall - possibly because there was so much going on in the wake of 9/11.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:44:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
They found PT-109?

For some reason it didn't get much notice in the news as I recall - possibly because there was so much going on in the wake of 9/11.

They maybe found part of it.  Last I heard, they couldn't confirm it was actually PT-109.

On a semi-realted note, Ballard's ego is exceeded only TIGHAR's Ric Gilespie.  At least Ballard has somehting to show for it all.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:45:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They found PT-109?

They maybe found part of it.  Last I heard, they couldn't confirm it was actually PT-109.

On a semi-realted note, Ballard's ego is exceeded only TIGHAR's Ric Gilespie.  At least Ballard has somehting to show for it all.

You're right.  I just looked it up.

They found a torpedo tube, not the whole thing.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:56:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm waiting for Robert Ballard to announce he's going looking for the Indianapolis.

As for his funding, WHOI and the Navy. In fact it was the Navy that gave him the ability to find the Titanic.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:58:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everything about Ballard screams Trilateral Commission and Soros and his multi-national banker communists.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:59:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm waiting for Robert Ballard to announce he's going looking for the Indianapolis.

As for his funding, WHOI and the Navy. In fact it was the Navy that gave him the ability to find the Titanic.

Yup. He took his gear and did some exploration of two US Nuke subs that sank in the Atlantic. And when he did the exploration of the Titanic, he had Navy Sub Officers with him to run his gear as training for them.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:04:54 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WHOI is a terrific organization. certainly more productive and useful than NOAA and it's idiotic "officers corps"
I've got no problem with WHOI.  I'm just always curious about Ballard's whereabouts, the routes his ship takes, stuff like that.  And I have no doubt he has access to the finest divers the USN can produce, for training purposes.  He gets my tinfoil all charged up, that's for sure.  

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:10:35 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've got no problem with WHOI.  I'm just always curious about Ballard's whereabouts, the routes his ship takes, stuff like that.  And I have no doubt he has access to the finest divers the USN can produce, for training purposes.  He gets my tinfoil all charged up, that's for sure.  

What exactly do you think he is up to?   Vague statements that "he don't look right" don't help the conversation.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:11:40 AM EDT
[#17]
I really do hate that guy.

...out of sheer jealousy, mind you.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:12:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

[/quote]

Wow.  I bet he's glad you're in Ohio.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:13:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here, I was a kid when he found the titanic, and I ate it up I wanted to be Bob Ballard when I grew up. He always reminded me of a character out of a Tom Claney novel.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:20:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Only if he finds a classic car and a beautiful woman with every ship he finds.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:06:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Only if he finds a classic car and a beautiful woman with every ship he finds.

That would be Clive Cussler, wouldn't it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top