Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2012 8:31:10 AM EDT
It's time to order some tires for my '01 996. I've seen good deals on Dunlop Q2's, Michelin Pilot 2CT's, and Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa's. Since this is my first Ducati, is there any brand of tire that works best, or doesn't work worth a crap on these bikes?

I was leaning towards the Michelins, but don't have any real preference. I just want something that grips like glue, and won't be worn out after 1500 miles!!
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 8:47:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Pilot 2CTs stick lIke glue and work especially well in the wet.
I really like them. Good track day tire as well.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 9:01:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Pilot 2CTs stick lIke glue and work especially well in the wet.
I really like them. Good track day tire as well.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, rain is a rarity around here, so wet road performance isn't really a factor.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 11:12:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I have Micheline Pilot Road 2's right now.  I really like them for my riding (95% straight highway miles, 5% curves; not by choice).  They last a long time, are a good value when you factor in the lifespan, and they stick more than enough for me.

So, if you realize that you don't ride a Dragon type road everyday, I'd suggest the PR 2's (or 3's if you are so inclined).
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 2:09:19 AM EDT
[#4]
i have the dunlop q2's on my 2008 cbr1000rr and my wifes 2011 triumph daytona 675 and they handle and wear very well. i use to have the 2CT's and like the dunlops better.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 4:24:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I really like these a lot..http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=8412

Been using for some time on my '05 GSXR1000.

Good folks to work with too at STG.

Link Posted: 6/30/2012 5:27:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have Micheline Pilot Road 2's right now.  I really like them for my riding (95% straight highway miles, 5% curves; not by choice).  They last a long time, are a good value when you factor in the lifespan, and they stick more than enough for me.

So, if you realize that you don't ride a Dragon type road everyday, I'd suggest the PR 2's (or 3's if you are so inclined).

I had the old version of the PR2 on my ZX12, and it was an awesome tire. Never did anything scary under the 165 hp of the big bike. HAd 5K on 'em, and they still weren't to the wear bars in the middle.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 5:29:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I really like these a lot..http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=8412

Holy crap!!! That's a smokin' deal on Michelins!!

How many miles are you getting out of the rear tire, on those? I don't on using the bike as a commuter, so a tire like that one is very appealing to me!
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 5:39:20 AM EDT
[#8]
im a pirelli guy.  so the rosso corsa's get my vote.  ive done several track days on them on my duc.  no issues.

fwiw, they are not rosso corsa II, they are either rosso II or rosso corsa.  the corsa is the better tire, but u wont get the life out of them like the rosso II

the last time i used michelins on the track, i landed on my head.  i blame me, but still.  

i also did a day @ mid ohio last year on a KTM RC8 w/ dunlop Q2's.  ok tire, but when they go, they go, no warning.  never had this issue w/ pirelli's.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 5:49:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
im a pirelli guy.  so the rosso corsa's get my vote.  ive done several track days on them on my duc.  no issues.

fwiw, they are not rosso corsa II, they are either rosso II or rosso corsa.  the corsa is the better tire, but u wont get the life out of them like the rosso II

the last time i used michelins on the track, i landed on my head.  i blame me, but still.  

i also did a day @ mid ohio last year on a KTM RC8 w/ dunlop Q2's.  ok tire, but when they go, they go, no warning.  never had this issue w/ pirelli's.

I've never ridden on Pirelli's. I've had real good luck on Metzler's, and Michelins. I wanted to try some other tires, and see if I liked one better, than another. The deal that was posted on the Pilot Pures may be too good to pass up. $250 for a set of those can't be beat! I'll see if they have a similar deal on the Pirelli's.

I fixed my original post, too!
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 7:00:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Another Pirelli vote!

I only have a "lowly" ZX6R, but managed 16,000 miles out of a pair of Diablo Stradas awhile back, and have heard other reports of great tire life from other Pirelli models. That, and even though they weren't "pure" sport tires (Pirelli called them "Extended Mileage Sport"), they were the grippiest tires I've ridden on, up until their dying day (had some of the belt showing on the rear ). Super confidence inspiring in the twisties, and great mileage? What's not to like?

Of course, you're mileage may vary (pun intended), given you're riding a bike with gobs more torque, but if you're looking to try new rubber, you could do a LOT worse than Pirelli.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 7:27:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy crap!!! That's a smokin' deal on Michelins!!

How many miles are you getting out of the rear tire, on those? I don't on using the bike as a commuter, so a tire like that one is very appealing to me!
Me?  Maybe 3K on the street with no track days.  Reasonable wear for me but I don't try to stretch them out to last.  I think that's a pretty difficult thing to answer but depends a lot on how and where you use them.  

Great tires, decent price, good company.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 8:33:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never ridden on Pirelli's. I've had real good luck on Metzler's, and Michelins. I wanted to try some other tires, and see if I liked one better, than another. The deal that was posted on the Pilot Pures may be too good to pass up. $250 for a set of those can't be beat! I'll see if they have a similar deal on the Pirelli's.

I fixed my original post, too!

I havent heard any bad things about the pilot pures.  I have a friend who runs them on the track w/ no issues.

Pirelli's are always more money.  Rosso Corsa's will be $360.  Im due for a set.  

Link Posted: 6/30/2012 7:38:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I think I'm gonna get the Pilot Pure's. The bikes not gonna see 3K miles in a year, so these will more than fit the bill as canyon carving tires.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:51:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I run the Q2s on my Duc, and did on my 600rr for a long time, absolutely love them. And when they started to get to the limits of traction they never have "let go" for me. They will slide, but it was always a controllable one.

I will continue to run them until something better comes out.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top