Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 4/23/2013 10:27:00 AM EDT
My vehicle specifies a LT tire with a load range E rating.

Do I need to replace the current tires with the same E rating?

I am going to be towing my 10,000 pound trailer with approx 1,000 pound tongue weight but I don't really think I need that heavy of a load rating.

Am I off base or can I get by with a lighter D rating tire?
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 11:10:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/23/2013 11:12:03 AM EDT by maggiethecat]
If the maker thought it was heavy enough for an E, why question them? UNless of course you:

A) have multiple advanced engineering degrees, like the guys who helped design your truck,

or:
B) think it's a conspiracy to make you spend more on tires.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 11:56:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/23/2013 11:56:29 AM EDT by areed5524]
You need to stick with load range E tires. Any reputable dealer will refuse to put any lower rating on there for liability reasons. Why risk it?
-Tire Industry Association Certified automotive tire technician
-6 years tire experience
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 5:36:48 PM EDT
You could probably get away with using D range tires based on the weight, but depending on your vehicle's year, you may have the tire pressure warning light on all of the time since the D tires can't be inflated as high as E tires.  Also, you run the risk of someone inflating the D tires up to truck's factory inflation specs.  That is a very bad thing to over inflate tires by that much.  Finally, there might be handling issues that appear by having D range tires.

The reality is that you bought a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup.  A part of owning a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup is putting up with a rock hard ride with E range tires.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 5:56:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/23/2013 5:57:18 PM EDT by shrikefan]
Thanks for some of the replies. I could understand it on a truck since they could load up tons of dirt/rocks/bricks/metal/etc. in the bed. The Suburban uses the same chassis so I was figuring they just made an across the board requirement for the chassis without regards to the body that was put on it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 11:52:11 AM EDT
Originally Posted By maggiethecat:
If the maker thought it was heavy enough for an E, why question them? UNless of course you:

A) have multiple advanced engineering degrees, like the guys who helped design your truck,

or:

My 03' Mustang GT requires Z rated tires (for speed)... in case you were wondering so does the Lamborghini Aventador... I think the question is genuine.. I happen to put Z rated tires on my stang, but when I look at the actually requirements rated by the tire industry I don't need to.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 11:56:46 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Phaxtor:
Originally Posted By maggiethecat:

or:

My 03' Mustang GT requires Z rated tires (for speed)... in case you were wondering so does the Lamborghini Aventador... I think the question is genuine.. I happen to put Z rated tires on my stang, but when I look at the actually requirements rated by the tire industry I don't need to.

I do understand there are differences within the Z rating.. but my car is not going in excess of 149mph and the general Z tire can go beyond the 149mph mark.. etc
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:08:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/24/2013 1:09:34 PM EDT by JeepinChamp]
My last set of D's were rated for the same weight as the E's that came off of it. If that's the case, I wouldn't worry about it.

YMMV

ETA: Honestly, the old D rated tires felt better towing than the current E's.
Top Top