Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/5/2015 8:05:41 PM EDT
My wife's car car has the tire pressure monitors. She swaps out the tires from regular tire to snows for the winter. This year she wants to buy new rims. What senses the pressure in the tires? Is it part of the valve stem? Are they cheap enough to buy a second set for the new rims? Can she run the car without the sensors?
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:07:28 PM EDT
[#1]
When we got new tires on my wife's Escape, they did recommend replacing the sensors- they were fairly inexpensive, around $25-30 for all of them to be replaced, IIRC.  They did appear to couple with the valve stem when I asked to see the parts.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:09:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends.  What year/make/model?
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:09:30 PM EDT
[#3]
That entirely depends on the year/make/model of the vehicle in question. I know OEM nissan/infiniti sensors run i think 70-100 each, then  you have to program them. There are aftermarket TPMS systems available as well that are universal, but you have to mount the display somewhere, its not going to work with your OEM dash display.

Some manfgs have them as a complete sensor integrated into the valve stem, others have a band around the rim with the sensor attached.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Not sure on placement, but cheap.
If replacing, might as well do all 4.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:12:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Depends on the car. Some have a TPMS system but no sensors on the actual wheels, they use the ABS sensor to tell a difference in rotation and vibration.

Some systems auto learn new sensors, some you have to have the car reprogram/relearn the new sensors. Best suggestion is google the vehicle type and TPMS and look in the forums.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:13:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

2014 Hyundai Accent
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:16:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like its going to get expensive. We're trying to avoid gpoing to the garage every fall to swap summer tires to winter tires. I though buying extra rims might be easier on the tires also since they'll be mounted once and left on the rim
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:18:03 PM EDT
[#8]
you can drive the car without the sensors but you will have to look at the warning light all the time. A trick some people have used to fool the system is to take the sensors off the wheels and put them in a PVC pipe and pressurize it to the required PSI, then place the pipe in the trunk of under the seat. The system can't tell that the sensors aren't in the wheels and thinks that everything is ok.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:19:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Back when I was changing tires the average price for a TPMS sensor was around $100. This was on Ford/Chevy/Ram pickups.

Not sure what they would cost for a Hyundai.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:21:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Can buy new sensors, install, and then reprogram the car.
Or you can just deal with the light
Or install the winter tires on the stock rims
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:23:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:29:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Sometimes at the tire shops that recommend tpms replacement are usually only changing the valve stem assy. I know for my silverado the whole senaor assy is north of 50 at the parts house (purchased oem ac delco sensor on Amazon for $10) they can also be damaged whith tire removal and install so frequent changes arent the best. like everyone else mentioned depends alot on year make and model of vehicle.  Also relearning positions and reprogramming.  My truck can become done in the driveway using the dash selction but alot of vehicles require a programming tool. Winter time tires equal snow equals salt? Probably best get some thrown down rims.. .02.  Also tpms in the wheel.. dont use tire slime and they have batteries that do not last forever.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:36:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:43:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

2014 Hyundai Accent
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2014 Hyundai Accent

They look to be about $45 each on Amazon, and you would have to 're-learn' every time you swap the wheels.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:07:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

My wife's car car has the tire pressure monitors. She swaps out the tires from regular tire to snows for the winter. This year she wants to buy new rims. What senses the pressure in the tires? Is it part of the valve stem? Are they cheap enough to buy a second set for the new rims? Can she run the car without the sensors?
View Quote

between buying new rims and TPMS units it would be cheaper to remount the tires several times.

You have to look at how many years you will keep the car.

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:35:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

they are typlicly part of the stem

cheapest aftermarkets i have seen around here are usually 50$ or more
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:57:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I had one go bad in a Mazdaspeed 3 I used to own. I got a used one off of eBay and had my tire guy put it in.  Never had a problem after that.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 10:09:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I've swapped out snow tires on rims w/o TPMS on a 2012 Sonata. Only thing you had to worry about is seeing the warning light. I imagine it would not be too different with your car.   Just periodically check the psi like we all had to do before TPMS's were around.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 10:16:58 PM EDT
[#19]
You can buy TPMS vales on Amazon for about $20 each now.

It is also against the law for a shop to install tires on a  2008 or newer car without TPMS sensors.

Is $80 worth staring at a dash light for half the year and the hassle that you risk being turned away from a shop if you ever get a flat or need a tire repaired?  
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 10:19:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
between buying new rims and TPMS units it would be cheaper to remount the tires several times.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We generally keep a car until it dies. My 2005 Nissan has ~ 300,000 miles on it. It's beat to shit but it runs good. I get her hand me downs.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 10:22:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It is also against the law for a shop to install tires on a  2008 or newer car without TPMS sensors.

Is $80 worth staring at a dash light for half the year and the hassle that you risk being turned away from a shop if you ever get a flat or need a tire repaired?  
View Quote

Cheap enough. Between rims & sonsoors we're talking ~$600. Thats  lot of tire changes. Does it damage the tires to swap them out so many times?
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 10:24:28 PM EDT
[#22]
There are two types of systems:

One system uses a wheel speed sensor to calculate rotational ratios on the same axle, factoring the steering angle.  There is no sensor for pressure - but it is just as accurate.

The second type uses a pressure sensor attached to the wheel.

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 10:36:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Cheap enough. Between rims & sonsoors we're talking ~$600. Thats  lot of tire changes. Does it damage the tires to swap them out so many times?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You really wont be damaging the tire if it is done properly.

That said, every time the tires are swapped, you run the risk of a tech ripping the bead of the tires and marring the wheels.
You will also pay significantly more every swap.  

Also, once you have them at home mounted, you can change them your self for free.  
Less the relearn unless you have the tool to do it.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 10:50:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Why not get all-season tires and be done with it?
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 10:56:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote

Because snow tires are much better in the snow than all-seasons?

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 10:58:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
you can drive the car without the sensors but you will have to look at the warning light all the time. A trick some people have used to fool the system is to take the sensors off the wheels and put them in a PVC pipe and pressurize it to the required PSI, then place the pipe in the trunk of under the seat. The system can't tell that the sensors aren't in the wheels and thinks that everything is ok.
View Quote

This is another good use for black electrical tape.  Cover up the light.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 10:59:26 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What does it cost to switch out each time?
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 11:03:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't remember. Its more for convenience that cost. I can swap out tires mounted on rims  in the driveway.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 11:05:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You ain't kidding. She has been running the Nokian Hakka palitas or whatever they are. Man those things grip the road in snowy conditions. You can fell it on dry pavement as well. Mileage goes down a bit I'm sure
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 11:12:40 PM EDT
[#30]
We deal with the light on on the dash.  Don't understand the concept as it is not a requirement for inspection so I don't care.   I am a responsible person and keep my tires in check as they are fairly expensive so I keep an eye on them.  

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 11:21:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Not sure on all the details, but I had a buddy who bought a tool that read the data off his existing sensors and then cloned it onto his winter tire/rim aftermarket sensors.  I think the tool cost him about $150.00, but now he has summer and winter tires he can change at home without having to pay to have the car reprogramed twice a year for the correct set of sensors.  He was going go do this for two cars, so the cost worked out pretty reasonable.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 6:24:57 AM EDT
[#32]
i bought TPMS sensors for my Armada from rockauto for about $40 each when i got new tires. i had a bad one and dash lights drive me insane.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 6:29:08 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Sounds like its going to get expensive. We're trying to avoid gpoing to the garage every fall to swap summer tires to winter tires. I though buying extra rims might be easier on the tires also since they'll be mounted once and left on the rim
View Quote
How much are they charging in NY to swap? It is $70-80 here now to do all 4 mount and balance.

TPMS sucks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top