Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/20/2005 2:54:56 PM EDT
At what tread depth should I replace the tires on my wife's SUV and on my Dodge CTD? Hoping that I have enough left for the winter considering that tires for both might run $1500 .

How does one interpret the traction bar indicators between the tire lugs??

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:25:09 PM EDT
Most tires are at 2/32" when the wear bars touch pavement. I consider that time to get new tires.
I know here in NC if two of the wear bars are touching it fails a safty inspection. Pay attention top how the tires do on wet roads, if they start hydroplaning more than usual, replace them.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:06:42 AM EDT
Another thing to consider are the belts. I've had tires go bad more for belt separation than tread wear.
If you hear a flopping or thumping sound and have ruled out other causes...it could be belt separation.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:27:06 PM EDT
Also tread condition is important too. Worn tie rods and ball joints can cause irregular wear, and that can make a tire unusible even if there is tread left. When you do get new rubber, I highly recomend you have someone look at rhe sussp. and steering components, and if nothing is worn out, get an alignment done. In theory you should do that every 12000 miles or yearly any way.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:14:25 AM EDT
What does a tread depth of "11" equate to in inches? My wife's tires may be under warranty from Sears.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:46:09 AM EDT
I can run the tires on my civic for about 50K before replacing. Around 40K I do get a little more hydroplaning, but really don't drive much in the rain. If I have to, I just slow it down to 65 and keep in the right lane. Usually the hydroplaning happens in pooled water on the highway around 80mph.

Ebay is the place to go for tires. I bought my last 2 sets on there for $150 for 4 "like new" tires. With the honda, a lot of kids will get them, then throw on 17's or bigger wheels and scrap the stock ones. Mine still had the little nubbies on them, exact same kind as stock. Usually retail for $85/each, but got them all for the $150 and that included shipping.
Top Top