Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2005 11:45:04 AM EDT
I hear it is a real hassle to get a passport for some folks.  Any tips to avoid the hassles?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:46:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/12/2005 11:47:08 AM EDT by cyanide]
Pay the express fee

it will come in quick and easy
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:56:35 AM EDT
It's not a hassle IF you get it early enough. If you're within the time frame where their regular turn-around time doesn't cover it, you HAVE to go in person. I think there's an option to Fed-Ex them the paperwork, but thankfully we were only 3 hours from the nearest Passport center. There's onle a few of those in the US, so your might be quite a ways away.

But like I said - if you have the time, just mail in the paperwork and you'll get it back no problem.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:56:41 AM EDT
Join the military?

Had mine in 3 days. No questions asked.

Having a flag officer expedite it helps
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 12:00:58 PM EDT
Find a cute travel-agent chicky to fill out the forms for you.

And pay the express fee.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 12:02:48 PM EDT
Never a real problem. Make sure the form is complete, your photographs are identical and conform to the specification, your fee amount is correct and you're good to go. I have used Perry International in the past for passport and visa expediting. You will pay a premium, but they can make it happen. I once got a Chinese visa in two days through Perry.

Once you have your passport, and you're traveling abroad, never let the thing out of your control. Carry multiple copies with you when you travel, so that when the hotel says they need to keep your passport, you can give them a copy. When I was working in Egypt, I had to give mine to a guy every Wednesday so he could take it to get Port passes into the free port in Alexandria. I hated having to part with the thing for any amount of time.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 12:04:05 PM EDT
Got mine in less than two weeks.  Went to the post office.  Easy as pie.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 12:04:39 PM EDT
Call a local travel agent and ask them for the phone number of an expeditor in your area.  It costs a few extra bucks, but well worth the service.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 12:06:35 PM EDT
Ed-

Take a half day off work....go to the office downtown. You'll walk out the door with it.

202-647-0518

your travel has to be <14 days away to get one here

It's on 19th street
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 12:08:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SHIVAN:
I hear it is a real hassle to get a passport for some folks.  Any tips to avoid the hassles?

Where are you located?  I can get you a number of an expedition service near you.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 12:55:33 PM EDT
once you get one, a renewal is real easy, just some new pics and send in the old one and some $ and  you're good to go
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:20:45 PM EDT
I had to get one quick for work, in summer of 2002.

I filled out the forms, went to a pharmacy to get my passport photos, took everything to the Post Office, paid the express fee of....$135 I think, and had the passport in like under 2 weeks.  Getting the Work Visa from the UK, that was a bit more complex, but not that bad overall.  That took maybe 3 weeks.

Not a single bit of it was a hassle at all!  Now, getting my car's licence....that's a hassle.  Having to go buy a pistol purchase permit from the county, that's a hassle.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:25:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Nexus6:
Got mine in less than two weeks.  Went to the post office.  Easy as pie.

Yep.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:29:18 PM EDT
As I recall, they require your actual birth cert and not a copy.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:55:27 PM EDT
I needed one quick so I sent my application and paperwork (everything the Post Office gives you after they complete their part) to an expediter in Chicago.  I got my passport 7 days later.  Total cost of about $135.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:27:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By heavily_armed:

I lost my original and only have a certified copy. Is that good enough or is there an alternative?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:22:33 PM EDT
I'm pretty sure a certified copy is ok.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:24:46 PM EDT
Don't scream "Allah Akbar!" when you go in to get your photograph...

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:26:51 PM EDT
It's very easy if you follow directions to the letter.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:34:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Redbone:

Originally Posted By heavily_armed:

I lost my original and only have a certified copy. Is that good enough or is there an alternative?

Call and find out.  If it isn't , it isn't all that hard to get a copy of yopur Birth Certificate from mostCounty or State Records office.

The big thing with Passports is follow the directions and allow enough time.  Rushing without out all the T's crossed and I's dotted is guaranteed to be the most aggravating experience you will ever have.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:39:24 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:44:40 PM EDT
Took me 3 days.  This was Overseas, they sent the paperwork international overnight back to the states and back overseas.  

Top Top