Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2003 5:16:25 PM EDT
Santa brought me a new magellan GPS and I have been sitting around messing with it and strolling through the neighborhood with it. I was just wondering if any of you that have GPS's have any tips, tricks, hints, websites, or otherwise useful and/or fun stuff to share.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:20:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I heard you can use them to drive through fog.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Which Magellan?

I have the Meridian Gold.

I would tell you to update your firmware.

I also use the SD cards with maps for trips.  For example, i have one I use all the time and a couple extra that I use when I travel long distance.  Just change out the cards and your good to go.

Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:33:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Santa brought me a new magellan GPS and I have been sitting around messing with it and strolling through the neighborhood with it. I was just wondering if any of you that have GPS's have any tips, tricks, hints, websites, or otherwise useful and/or fun stuff to share.
View Quote

[url]www.geocaching.com[/url]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:35:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Well Santa didn't have the money to buy ones that have interchangeable cards. Santa gave me the SportTrak Map.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:36:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got the Magellan Meridian Platnum. I'm still learning how to use it. It's a nice piece[:D]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:39:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I heard you can use them to drive through fog.
View Quote

only if the road is 60' wide and there is no other traffic. [:D]

mike
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:56:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well Santa didn't have the money to buy ones that have interchangeable cards. Santa gave me the SportTrak Map.
View Quote

I have one here now, great unit. Get the topo map software, it works very well!
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 6:08:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't bet your life on them.  Always take a compass.  My Garmin failed in a very dicey situation.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 6:16:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Try this [url]www.geocashing.com[/url].

This was covered in another post.

Bobwrench
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 6:18:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Just remember, when you turn it on the .gov knows where you are.  [(:)]

CW
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 6:24:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

CW
View Quote

Hardly...The standard receivers are just that, receivers only.  They receive pre-set data from different birds and calculates the data for display.

Link Posted: 12/27/2003 6:36:05 PM EDT
[#12]
By a set of rechargeable batteries for it, now. If you mess with it often, you'll very soon run through enough $$ in batts. to make it worthwhile.

I've had a Garmin eTrex for a couple years, like it, and used to have their GPS II.

Another item - the manfs put out updated software / firmware for their units, get the PC connect cable (if offered) and update your device.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 6:41:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks pretty much like Garand_Shooter, bobwrench, and rayra have it covered. Update your software, don't plan on being much closer than 40 feet, cover (trees, clouds) changes accuracy. May be dead on one day and off 50 feet the next day or hour. The Geocaching web site is full of information, and is also a starting point for a lot of family fun.

Edited to add... FWIW, you can check the accuracy of your speedometer with it too. If you get the street level maps, you can have a handheld "MapQuest" and drive most anywhere door to door.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:41:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
By a set of rechargeable batteries for it, now. If you mess with it often, you'll very soon run through enough $$ in batts. to make it worthwhile................Another item - the manfs put out updated software / firmware for their units, get the PC connect cable (if offered) and update your device.
View Quote

I was just thinking I might need to get a set of rechargeables. I am already on my second set of double a's and I have only had the unit for two days.

It came with a PC cable and a buddy of mine lent me his map software for now.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:49:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

CW
View Quote

Hardly...The standard receivers are just that, receivers only.  They receive pre-set data from different birds and calculates the data for display.

View Quote

I'm sorry, I forgot to add  [;D]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:28:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CW
View Quote

View Quote

I'm sorry, I forgot to add  [;D]
View Quote

Cool....I was kinda hoping that was a joke.

Now where did I leave my tin foil?  
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 10:40:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

CW
View Quote

Fool, the .gov ALWAYS knows where you are. Tracer nanobots in the drinking water. Used nanobots are what makes your pee yellow.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 1:44:08 PM EDT
[#18]
i too just got the sportrak map. a great unit for 170$

i also reccoment the TopoUSA software. its slick as shit. you can use the map to make a route on your computer and upload it to the unit and take the route to the feild.

i also imagine it would be great for tracking your hunt/hike/fishing route on a map on your computer for later reference
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top