Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2010 3:35:55 PM EDT
Let me start off by saying I've been a dishwasher, server, bartender and so forth.  Been working in the food industry since I was a kid and don't have the mentality of "How fucking hard is it to drop a plate off".  I am actually pretty empathic to those who serve since I've been down that same road.

That said, WTF is with the recent trend in tipping on delivery orders BEFORE you get the product?.  For several years I'd order delivery food with my debit card (when cash wasn't available) over the phone, the driver would show up, I'd write the tip on the receipt (always at least a $5, even if its a $5 order, hey, a delivery is a delivery) and everything worked out.  Now places are asking me how much I want to tip the driver while I place my order.  What the fuck?  Isn't a tip based off of the service I receive?.  When serving tables I didn't take a customers order and then ask them client how much of a gratuity they are giving me before going to the kitchen.  

Why should I tip while ordering?  How do I know its the same driver from before and not some dumbass who takes two hours since he stopped off to smoke a bowl at his friends place?  This system leaves me no way of rewarding the good employees over the bad ones.  

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 3:37:36 PM EDT
[#1]
We are having 2 large papa johns pizza's for dinner.

I didn't tip.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 3:38:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I would just say "I will tip in cash upon delivery" or something. I waited tables  for 6 years so I know how tough it is but I would never expect a tip as the customers were being sat
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 3:38:43 PM EDT
[#3]
If more of the pizza toppings are on the box instead of the pie, the driver gets nothing. Always tip AFTER you open the box.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 3:40:01 PM EDT
[#4]
next time you will get an extra free topping on your pizzas

Quoted:

I didn't tip.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 3:48:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Two reasons:

Certain ethnicities, as a rule, do not tip.
To avoid the appearance of discrimination, it has become pro forma to add a tip before service.
So that everyone can suffer "equally".

People who insist on using credit for small purchases or do not employ cash often use that as an excuse to not tip.
When I used to park cars I had a big shot try to tip me with a check for a plum spot.
I laughed at him. I don't care what your net worth is, if you don't have five bucks in your pocket, you are broke to me.
No server/service worker wants anything but a cash tip.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:06:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Two reasons:

To avoid the appearance of discrimination, it has become pro forma to add a tip before service.

People who insist on using credit for small purchases or do not employ cash often use that as an excuse to not tip.
When I used to park cars I had a big shot try to tip me with a check for a plum spot.
I laughed at him. I don't care what your net worth is, if you don't have five bucks in your pocket, you are broke to me.

At my last job I made 80%+ of my tips on credit/debit cards.  It would have been dumb for me to not want those.  Sure, you don't have to claim cash, but my boss in an effort to cover her own ass and to make things easier just reported that her employers earned 18% of their sales.  So really cash or credit, you made the same.  Anyways, you could usually cash out or get a check written out for your credit card tips that very same night.  

Oh yea, sometimes I'd pay and tip with my debit card since if I used cash I wouldn't have a bank for my next work day.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm sure the reason is to help the drivers out by processing the tip into their paycheck/W-2 instead of forcing them to keep records of that pesky cash income every night.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:22:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I didn't tip.
1-2 bucks a pie is basic...

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:24:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Dumbest fucking thing I've ever heard.

I tip very well, even for mediocre service, but seriously, fuck. THAT.

"I'll tip the driver appropriately when he or she arrives if its warranted.  Anything else?..."

Unbelievable....

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I ordered 12 dollar pizza and pulled out 15 bucks and the guy snagged all the cash from my hand and said "thanks".

I was going to chase him down and pistol whip him, but I realized I had pizza.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:31:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't tip.

Cheaper to drive my car and get them. Plus that pesky "delivery fee" makes it difficult for me to bother tipping the guy.

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't tip.

Not when I go pick them up.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't tip.

Cheaper to drive my car and get them. Plus that pesky "delivery fee" makes it difficult for me to bother tipping the guy.
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't tip.

Not when I go pick them up.

Ah yes, the tip jar on the counter trick...not when I pick up the food, what the fuck would I tip them for? handing me the bag/package/box?

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:46:13 PM EDT
[#13]
There's enough places around here that you never have to order from the same one twice. Tipping problem solved.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:51:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm so burned out on the entire tip thing that I flat refuse unless I go to a nice sit down restaurant with full service.

Buffet? no tip

Sub sandwich? no tip

oil change? no fucking tip

anything other than full service you get no fucking tip.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:59:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I'm so burned out on the entire tip thing that I flat refuse unless I go to a nice sit down restaurant with full service.

Buffet? no tip

Sub sandwich? no tip

That's the rule I employ, unless there's something outstanding in the service.  Tips were originally a misspelling on coffeshop jars in London for "To Insure Prompt Service".  Service ain't service, or ain't prompt?  No fucking tip.  If I'm serving myself, no fucking tip.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 7:07:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I've pretipped on pizza and subs before when ordering online or when I only had a cc.  Never had a bad experience when I did it either.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 7:12:44 PM EDT
[#17]
It's probably easier for them to process the card once with the entire total - instead of going back in at the end of the night with a stack of receipts to re-process.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 7:12:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Two reasons:

Goddam Cheap Azz Anglo-Saxon, Christian Conservatives.

I try to tip in cash whenever possible. My mom and wife were waitresses. They always tip cash, so I do as well.
I tip for delivery but once I look in the bag.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 7:25:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That said, WTF is with the recent trend in tipping on delivery orders BEFORE you get the product?.  

An extended family member gave me gift certificates to Massage Envy.  When they asked me if I wanted to leave a tip BEFORE I even went back into the room, I went
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 7:27:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
That said, WTF is with the recent trend in tipping on delivery orders BEFORE you get the product?.  

An extended family member gave me gift certificates to Massage Envy.  When they asked me if I wanted to leave a tip BEFORE I even went back into the room, I went

Were you tipping for FULL SERVICE?
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 7:29:29 PM EDT
[#21]
We are in a Depression I am now the Tip Nazi. NO TIP FOR YOU!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I'm sure the reason is to help the drivers out by processing the tip into their paycheck/W-2 instead of forcing them to keep records of that pesky cash income every night.

This.  When I did delivery the boss got paid exactly what he was owed.  He never knew what I made in tips.  This used to piss him off.  But it's none of his business.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 7:41:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Buffet? no tip

Sub sandwich? no tip

when i delivered that meant you'd start getting your pizza last.  I has a paper record of which houses tipped and which didn't.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Stiffs go to the bottom of the bag.

Always.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 7:43:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Stiffs go to the bottom of the bag.

DING DING DING

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 7:44:21 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buffet? no tip

Sub sandwich? no tip

That's the rule I employ, unless there's something outstanding in the service.  Tips were originally a misspelling on coffeshop jars in London for "To Insure Prompt Service".  Service ain't service, or ain't prompt?  No fucking tip.  If I'm serving myself, no fucking tip.

When getting food delivered, it still means that.  No tippers get delivered last.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 7:44:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buffet? no tip

Sub sandwich? no tip

when i delivered that meant you'd start getting your pizza last.  I has a paper record of which houses tipped and which didn't.

I don't order pizza for delivery.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 7:46:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buffet? no tip

Sub sandwich? no tip

I don't order pizza for delivery.

Then you shouldn't tip.  If you get it delivered, you should.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 7:56:50 PM EDT
[#29]
<<<––––- Previously a delivery driver before and after college.

As a driver, we hated that the tip was already on the line. Rarely does someone come out of their pocket after they already tipped during the ordering process.

The reason they ask is not for taxes or to fuck drivers or anything like that. Its because people have been caught stealing by adding money to the tip line if it is written in, versus the pre-tip way you can't add over the top.

Also, for larger orders, say from a company that could be several hundred dollars, it is pretty common to get a very large tip. Tips over a certain percentage cannot be applied with some credit card companies. They assume if it is over 25-30% then someone must be stealing.

And often that is the truth.

I never put up with that shit, but some people would write in a tip for more than the order was. They would want you to give them back a certain amount in change and keep the difference as a tip. Generally, but not all the time, these are stolen credit cards. Some crackhead drivers are perfectly fine with that crap.

Then also you have the beer run.

Someone orders a pizza. has please call first on the ticket. You call and they ask you to pick up a 6 pack and some cigarettes. I do that in a heartbeat because its generally at a business and they tip really well. often the tip line might be 150% of the order total because of it. And like I said above, some companies wont approve that kind of tip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top