Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/3/2003 5:42:18 PM EDT
The family and I just got back from getting some good greasy food at Sonic.

We always wonder if we should drop the carhop girl a couple bucks for the service.

mzzlebrk
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:43:45 PM EDT
[#1]
yes.

awaiting the "they should pay them more" debate...
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:43:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I give 'em a buck or two.  Usually two if they're really cute.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:15:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Just try to think of her as your daughter out there trying to make an honest buck!  Would you want sombody to tip your daughter?

Easy question when you look at it that way!

Bob [:D]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:17:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, at least two bucks on a bucket of chow.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:20:15 PM EDT
[#5]
No.  You only tip people who work for tips.  You want a tip, work in a restaurant.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:23:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:23:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I usually tip the girls a buck for a 44 oz. drink.  Won't tip the guys.  It's a girls job.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:24:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I tip then normally, particularly if they're cute... course they are a bit young for me.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:24:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:31:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I probably would if there was a Sonic within an hour of where I live[;)]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:33:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just try to think of her as your daughter out there trying to make an honest buck!  Would you want sombody to tip your daughter?

View Quote

NEVER think of a waitress as your daughter.  That takes the fun out of having some hottie bring you your food.  Think of her as your neighbor or something.  But daughter, that's just wrong.  Maybe I'm too young, though, cause I'm not to old to be gross out a waitress by hitting on her.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:06:11 PM EDT
[#12]
What's a Sonic???
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:10:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:11:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I never tip at fast food places.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What's a Sonic???
View Quote

A bad Culver's.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:18:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Around here, the Sonic girls always ask you if you want all your change. This pisses me off, so now I don't tip them. Before they started this little hustle, I was a regular tipper. I rarely even go there anymore. ==Bob
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:24:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:25:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Always tip someone who is bringing you food to your car so you dont have to get your lazy ass up and get it yourself.

Yes, that means I tip.

BTW one of the sweetest girls I know works at a sonic, but that is no reason im biased as I visit all three sonics in my area equally.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:30:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Around here, the Sonic girls always ask you if you want all your change. This pisses me off, so now I don't tip them. Before they started this little hustle, I was a regular tipper. I rarely even go there anymore. ==Bob
View Quote

Couldn't agree with you more. I may start leaving them a buck or two but I guess if they want tips they should work at a major food establishment.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:34:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:40:33 PM EDT
[#22]
I haven't eaten there yet.  Not sure why.  There are two new ones in town.  But I will tip because I know how much an extra buck or two means to a teenager.  Of course that depends on service.  They are just high school kids working part time and if I can help put a couple extra gallons of gas into their beater or towards something they are saving for or even for arcade money,  then I am for it.  I miss being a teenager and all the fun I had.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:45:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Hey... I dont work in a restruant, but I do receive tips for the service I provide. I always refuse a tip unless the very nice person continues to tell me to "Take it" and/or throws it in the air and says "You better take it before the wind gets it". I NEVER expect a tip, and consider it a grand generosity of a person to insist that I take it. I refused over $11 in tips today, and made $2 bucks for those who insisted I take it.

Be generous people, if you had to go in and out all day in the hot sun... work around food all day without going insane, and had to deal with a few A-holes everyday who just got back from A-holes anonymous club (AKA Gun controll inc) then tips are a blessing. To those few who insist on giving me a tip, they should be glad to know whenever someone wants donations in front of the store it is donated. For all those who work at a job and receive tips (Such as I) please be PROFESSIONAL and refuse the tip whenever offered. Also, if you can, donate that money to the people who truly need it. It all swings back around in the end.

Dont take sonic's "Do you want your change?" as a threat... those purty girls are gonna put it back into the economy, and thus it all swings 'round in the end.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:58:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Always. I always tip the high school kids when possible. At least they are working and not out hittin the pipe.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 9:01:46 PM EDT
[#25]
"Do you want your change?" is the tip killer.

Yes I want my change, you ditzy blonde in shorts. I am not obligated to give you a tip. If I decide to give you a tip, it will be after I get my change back from you, [i]without[/i] having to be asked if I want it.

That's just me though.

J.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 9:08:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Of course.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:23:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:44:05 AM EDT
[#28]
I always try to tip generously.  People in the food service industry put up with lots of assholes.  Like some of the cheap bastards here.[:D]  I try to make up for them.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:07:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:19:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Yes most of the time.

I try to tip everyone, with the exception of fastfood.(sonic excluded because they actually bring you the food)  Unless the service is really shitty.

Like when I ask for icetea w/ no lemon,  I expect there to be no lemon in my ice tea when I recieve said ice tea that I asked for specificly to not have lemon in it. If my beverage is empty for more than 10minutes,  I consider that bad service aswell. Same with filling the glass when on the table, and it spashes all over the table. A good waiter/ess will pick the glass up,  hold it away from the table, then fill it.  

Oh and those who live far east or far west. Sonic is the best place.   It's like in-n-out, only it's a drivein,  you order thru a speaker and they bring the food to your car.  They have a plethora of burgers, shakes, malts, icecreams, slushies....
And for anyone who has Sonic and hasn't noticed they have breakfast yet......
The pancake on tha stick is the bomb
It's a sausage link, fried in pancake batter,  on a stick.  
Sonic's also have local favorites.
Like here they have chedder jalapino thinggers...  
The coolest was in New Mexico somewhere,  they had mini chimichangas.
I usually eat at Sonic atleast once a week.
Been there 3 times this week because they have a new   "BirthDay Cake Shake".

Edited for formatting because its 06:00 and I'm tired.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:58:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
No they are the ones who screw up your order and spit on your burgers.
View Quote

Dont I know it!
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 4:04:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 4:09:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
There are two Sonics right around where I live. I tip a dollar and the change on a $5-6 meal.
View Quote

There is one on my way home from work,  it tempts me  every night.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:01:16 AM EDT
[#34]
I tip when I feel the seervice is great.  Otherwise they are just doing their jobs.
AND I NEVER TIP AT SONIC.  It is fast-food, and there is no reason to tip.  Hell, they do not even come to you to take your order.  They just deliver, that's all.

More about SONIC:
They EXPECT a tip!
It is fast-food!
I have driven in several times, order a route-44 cherry vanilla coke.  The bill is like $1.50 so I give her $2.00 and she walks off!  I am like WTF???  Where the hell is my change???????
THAT FUCKING PISSES ME OFF.
What also pisses me off is when they [b]ask[/b] if you want change!! Especially if you gave them like a $20 bill!
I will not tip if they have to ask.  And when they walk away without asking, that is THEFT under $20" and they can be arrested!!!

Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:07:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Yes most of the time.

I try to tip everyone, with the exception of fastfood.(sonic excluded because they actually bring you the food)  Unless the service is really shitty.
View Quote

Carl's Jr. brings the food to your table.  Do you tip there?

Also - about SONIC:
Why is it that they can NEVER apply ketchup to your burger?  If you order Ketchup, it ALWAYS comes in little packets.  That means, while in my car, I have to spread open the messy burger and apply ketchup with messy little packets!!!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:13:28 AM EDT
[#36]
You bunch of cheap asses! For those of you that said, "no", then you are a cheap ass.

For those that do, then I am sure those kids appreciate it.

I give the girls at Sonic tips, hell, they brought it to me.

Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:17:36 AM EDT
[#37]
I don't tip a Sonic - I OVERTIP at Sonic. I have noticed, though, that the girls dont seem to like it when I try to tuck the bills into their underwear like at the strip clubs. What's up with that?
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:22:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah thats what I think when I am at the titty bar.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:39:23 AM EDT
[#39]
[b]What kind of 'Sad Sacks' are you guys that don't tip?[/b]

Jeepers, when I was a student and watching every penny, I would always tip anyone who did anything for me, such as bringing the food out to the car.

Anyone who 'tries to make a point' about good old American customer service relations by refusing to tip a young teenaged girl...

...IS AN IDIOT!

Go inside and give the manager a piece of your well-defined mind and leave the poor child out of your neurosis!

Kay?

Eric The(Sheesh!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:59:26 AM EDT
[#40]
A huntin buddy of mine had several children who worked at Sonics and they don't get paid shit.  They expect to be tipped.

On the other hand if they need more money they should work somewhere that pays more or they should work in a restaurant as a real waitress.

I cannot believe someone would tip a dollar for a largE drink alone.  I guess that some people make a shitload more money than me, to each his own.

The other day I was at a pizza buffet and people were laying tips down.  WHat kind of bullshit is this?  I pay my bill, get my drink, get my pizza, and leave a tip, I say not no but FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK NO!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:01:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:10:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Hell yeah I tip them. What's the difference between a waitress serving you sitting on your ass at a table or a carhop serving you sitting on your ass in your car? It's a SERVICE provided so you don't have to get up off your ass and walk up to a window to pick up your order. If you don't want to tip, use the drive-through.
View Quote

I will tell you the difference it is the freaking table, there ain't no freaking table.

In the good old days when they hung the table on your window and then came back and got you refills and took your mess away it was a different story.  Now when you get your bag you either have to carry it with you or fling it out the window for the birds to eat.  I guess this gives the next people who eat at your stall something to look at.

Of course you can dump some fries of  your own out and watch the birds fight over them.  

Just another heart attack in a sack!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:14:55 AM EDT
[#43]
I don't. Yhey don't wait on me, so I don't tip. Bringing your order out in a paper bag is not waiting on you. Tiping has gotten out of hand. Arround here, almost everybody has a tip jar on the counter these days. If you're not waiting on me. i.e. bringing me my drink, food, refilling my drink and generally ensuring my enjoyment of the dining experience, you don't get a tip. So do al you big spenders tip at the coffee counter , news stand or convenience store? Even some of the walk in fast food places around here act like the counter people deserve a tip. As far as a crappy job for highschoolers goes, put up hay and clean horse stalls and barns for a summer, then talk to me.
Didn't mean to rant, just a bit wound uo this morning.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:16:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:20:53 AM EDT
[#45]
When I lived in Texas I always tipped the Sonic chicks.....if they were hotties that got more than just the change....a few extra bills....
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:24:10 AM EDT
[#46]
a tip is something that should be earned. not something that they deserve. if you are just doing your job that is what you get a paycheck for. if you are doing above and beyond your job then that is what you get a tip for.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:17:27 AM EDT
[#47]
yes.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:14:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Hmmmm.....punishing high school kids for working in food service and expecting a tip? Do you think that little girl on roller skates came up with "do you want your change" on her own. Uhh..NO. That is a common question in an industry where tips are expected. Yea, holding back that dollar tip will teach them not to fuck with YOU.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:55:27 AM EDT
[#49]
I don't believe in tipping... [:D]

Actually I [b}always[/b] give tips (unless the waiter/tress works very hard against it)

NsB
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 12:42:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Carl's Jr. brings the food to your table.  Do you tip there?
View Quote

No I don't eat there  THEY RUINED HARDEES.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top