Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2011 10:27:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/9/2011 10:30:25 AM EDT by Admiral_Crunch]
I love fried chicken livers, but I've never made them at home until today. Came out great, but all I can say is WOW –– these things splatter oil like nothing else I have ever cooked. I'm glad that some of the recipes I found stressed the use of a splatter guard. Even though I used one, I still saw some oil pop right through the screen. I've never had anything do that before.

The worst part was that they didn't splatter all the time. Just randomly about every 2-3 minutes, one of the livers would just pop like a bomb and send oil flying. Did it once while I had the screen off to flip them. Zinged me right in the face.

If you want to try making them, it's super simple and almost doesn't even need a recipe. Just rinse the livers, soak them in milk or buttermilk and one beaten egg, toss in seasoned flour, and pan fry in about 3/4-1" of 350F oil until done, flipping once. Took about 8 minutes per batch.
Link Posted: 10/9/2011 10:31:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/9/2011 10:32:50 AM EDT by kaos]

Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:
I love fried chicken livers, but I've never made them at home until today. Came out great, but all I can say is WOW –– these things splatter oil like nothing else I have ever cooked. I'm glad that some of the recipes I found stressed the use of a splatter guard. Even though I used one, I still saw some oil pop right through the screen. I've never had anything do that before.

The worst part was that they didn't splatter all the time. Just randomly about every 2-3 minutes, one of the livers would just pop like a bomb and send oil flying. Did it once while I had the screen off to flip them. Zinged me right in the face.

If you want to try making them, it's super simple and almost doesn't even need a recipe. Just rinse the livers, soak them in milk or buttermilk and one beaten egg, toss in seasoned flour, and pan fry in about 3/4-1" of 350F oil until done, flipping once. Took about 8 minutes per batch.
If nothing else, while frying, make sure you wear pants.

DAMHIKT.

And I love fried chicken livers.
Thanks for the above.

Link Posted: 10/9/2011 10:33:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By kaos:

DAMHIKT.

"Never fry bacon when you're naked." –– Richard Jeni
Link Posted: 10/9/2011 12:21:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:

Originally Posted By kaos:

DAMHIKT.

"Never fry bacon when you're naked." –– Richard Jeni
I miss that guy.
I thought he was a hoot.

Link Posted: 10/9/2011 7:36:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 4:37:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Slavac:
I was taught to split them in half and pat dry the hell out of them to get any moisture out you can.

They still splatter like hell.

Won't do any good. They have fat inside little pockets. When the fat heats up, it expands until the pocket ruptures. Think popcorn.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 6:40:52 AM EDT
Never tried cooking them at home. I love livers though.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 6:49:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By YellowLab:
Never tried cooking them at home. I love livers though.

I never had either. I think I'll be doing it often. Super simple, and they're cheap compared to most meat. A buck a pound at most.

The smell does linger a little longer than most other fried foods though. Kinda like how fish does.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 7:42:25 AM EDT
Even with a splatter shield (or two) you will still get ungodly splatter. I take an old bath towel (garage towel) and lay it on the floor in front of the stove, and wear a chef's apron. This way you can still cook close to nekid.
Top Top