Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2009 2:40:31 PM EDT
This is a little timelapse reel that I put together this last week. Its a combination of footage from the RED One, Canon 40D and Canon 5D Mark 2. About half of the reel was shot using Zeiss ZF lenses with a Nikon to EOS adaptor, one of the better things I've bought in a while. Here's the list in order as to which camera was used for the shots: RED, RED, 5D2, 5D2, 40D, 40D, 40D, 5D2, 5D2, 5D2, 40D, 5D2, 40D, 40D, 5D2, 5D2. The last shot is from the fires going on in Southern California right now.

A Vimeo Link
http://vimeo.com/6323285

A Youtube Link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qy0U-_0G_s
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 2:56:29 PM EDT
[#1]
That was one of the most fantastic things I've ever seen. Thank you for sharing.
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 3:06:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice work.
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 4:12:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Very impressive.

A bit of a thread hijack... but what do you think of the RED as a photo camera?

I'm seriously considering when (or should I say if) the new modular (epic/scarlet) cameras are released, buying one as an 80% photography 20% video solution.

I mainly wonder about dynamic range, noise & the seeming unwieldiness of such a massive camera.

I actually drove halfway across the country to NAB and RED didn't even have a booth, so I drove out to their location and really didn't get much input from the guy at the "store" they had setup there. Was pretty disappointing... and so far I can't locate anyone around our area who has one to pester with questions.
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 4:15:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Wicked!! nice work
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 5:43:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow!

Very nicely done.
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 5:44:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Very impressive.

A bit of a thread hijack... but what do you think of the RED as a photo camera?

I'm seriously considering when (or should I say if) the new modular (epic/scarlet) cameras are released, buying one as an 80% photography 20% video solution.

I mainly wonder about dynamic range, noise & the seeming unwieldiness of such a massive camera.

I actually drove halfway across the country to NAB and RED didn't even have a booth, so I drove out to their location and really didn't get much input from the guy at the "store" they had setup there. Was pretty disappointing... and so far I can't locate anyone around our area who has one to pester with questions.

I've already used my RED One as a photography camera. Here's some stills that I captured for a job I was hired for. If I can do this with the RED One the Scarlet and Epic cameras are going to kick some ass. Plus you could just shoot motion and then pull frames out of the video. So its like having a camera that shoots at 24fps all the time. Plus you can up the frame rate. These water drops were captured in 2K at 120fps with a shutter speed of 1/12000th of a second using a Zeiss ZF 100mm f~2 Macro lens.

Link Posted: 8/31/2009 6:51:12 PM EDT
[#7]
All I can say is WOW.  What are the RED's going for now?  I just recently started hearing about them.
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 8:21:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
All I can say is WOW.  What are the RED's going for now?  I just recently started hearing about them.

The body is $17,500. I have about $70K invested into my camera package right now. That's just the gear associated with the RED camera. But if you bought a RED One body today you can trade it in for full value towards an Epic or get a one time 12% discount on a Scarlet. I'm planning on upgrading to the FF35 6K Epic when it comes out sometime next year.
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 9:06:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The body is $17,500. I have about $70K invested into my camera package right now. That's just the gear associated with the RED camera. But if you bought a RED One body today you can trade it in for full value towards an Epic or get a one time 12% discount on a Scarlet. I'm planning on upgrading to the FF35 6K Epic when it comes out sometime next year.

You're making me jealous.

Thanks for the input. That's pretty much what I was considering (FF35)... although it would be humorous (and bank-busting) to get the 617.

Man, they changed their teaser page... it used to show how many Mpix that 617 was... isn't it over 100MP?
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 9:08:10 PM EDT
[#10]
WoW

Very neat!!!

thank you
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 12:57:07 AM EDT
[#11]
That is awesome!!  Good thing the jerks didn't do anything stupid on the bridge
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 2:31:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Beautiful. Awesome job.

Wish I could do pro photos for a living.

-3D
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 2:51:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Beautiful work
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 9:39:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That is awesome!!  Good thing the jerks didn't do anything stupid on the bridge

Yeah I got lucky with that whole attempted robbery thing on that bridge. I guess a small part of it was luck and the other half was being ready, given the area I was in.
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 1:20:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Just curius, do you sit there by your camera the whole time? I saw your thread awhile back about the guys trying to steal one. How many hours are you set-up on one location?
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 1:38:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just curius, do you sit there by your camera the whole time? I saw your thread awhile back about the guys trying to steal one. How many hours are you set-up on one location?

Yeah I stay right next to my camera the whole time. If I'm in a place where I can relax I bring out my camping chair with me and set it up next to the camera. But most of the time I just stand next to it keeping an eye out. That was two weeks ago today that those 4 mexicans tried to jack my camera. It was a great training exercise. When I go out and shoot timelapse I'm usually out there for an hour or two. But it kind of depends on what I'm shooting. If its traffic stuff I'm only out there for about 30-45min but if its star timelapse stuff then I'm out there for hours.

BTW I did post that story two weeks ago about the attempted robbery of my gear. But one of the mods wanted to protect me from something I said that violated the COC. So the whole thread went away.
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#17]
That star timelapse was amazing.
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 7:17:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Excellent as always. The RED One and the 5d is a great combo.
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 7:33:41 PM EDT
[#19]
great great footage...I do thin the second scene is a bit long but thats just me
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 8:31:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I saw your video on RedUser. Superb!!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 12:25:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Hey Drew, do you do this as a hobby or is this your full time gig?
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 1:05:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

With an $70K+ camera package its a little hard to do it as a hobby. Its my part time job in a way. I spend half of my time working at the Studios in Burbank, CA and the other half I spend living in AZ or working other smaller gigs in the LA area. The stock footage end of things is a really good business if you can get it going, which I'm trying. I sometimes have a rush of people buying footage from me and then not so busy times. But the cool thing about stock footage is that I go out and shoot the shot once and then I can keep selling it over and over again. Unless someone buys the exclusive rights for that clip for a couple years then I have to pull it off my list. If someone does that they pay some big bucks for those rights...hasn't happened yet. I also have a couple companies selling my footage for me, which up until recently was a joke. I would out sell those companies many times over. But now I'm having clients buy my footage from them, which is a whole lot easier because I hate dealing with the legal and financial end of the business. I would rather have my focus towards getting shots.

Recently I also started selling non-timelapse shots that I had gotten with my RED camera. One of them was a shot of some ATF agents down in Hollywood when this club burned down a little over a year ago, just happen to be on my way to work on saw that going on. The other clip was from that Adams Arms Demo I did, which sold to some country overseas for who knows what. That's usually the deal I work out when I do demos...that I get to keep the footage and add it to my library.

This, like many things, started out as a hobby.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 1:09:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Excellent as always. The RED One and the 5d is a great combo.

I'm digging on the camera team I'm rocking right now. Just have to wait until the Epic 6K FF35 model comes out. Then both my cameras will have the same sensor size...except the Epic will smoke the 5D2. At least that's the feeling I'm getting and RED isn't in the disappointment game.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 9:46:28 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

With an $70K+ camera package its a little hard to do it as a hobby. Its my part time job in a way. I spend half of my time working at the Studios in Burbank, CA and the other half I spend living in AZ or working other smaller gigs in the LA area. The stock footage end of things is a really good business if you can get it going, which I'm trying. I sometimes have a rush of people buying footage from me and then not so busy times. But the cool thing about stock footage is that I go out and shoot the shot once and then I can keep selling it over and over again. Unless someone buys the exclusive rights for that clip for a couple years then I have to pull it off my list. If someone does that they pay some big bucks for those rights...hasn't happened yet. I also have a couple companies selling my footage for me, which up until recently was a joke. I would out sell those companies many times over. But now I'm having clients buy my footage from them, which is a whole lot easier because I hate dealing with the legal and financial end of the business. I would rather have my focus towards getting shots.

Recently I also started selling non-timelapse shots that I had gotten with my RED camera. One of them was a shot of some ATF agents down in Hollywood when this club burned down a little over a year ago, just happen to be on my way to work on saw that going on. The other clip was from that Adams Arms Demo I did, which sold to some country overseas for who knows what. That's usually the deal I work out when I do demos...that I get to keep the footage and add it to my library.

This, like many things, started out as a hobby.

How hard was it to get into? I've been trying to figure out how I could get my hands on a RED One system, but I don't even have money for mediocre glass, let alone a complete system and editing computer! I'm starting to save for a 2/3" 3k Scarlet as that wouldn't be completely out of my reach in the near future. Even so, I would love to recoup my investment in it by selling some of my work or services, or maybe renting the camera out.

Did you attend any school for cinematography or photography? Is that a necessary step in order to get anywhere in that business?

Link Posted: 9/2/2009 9:52:27 AM EDT
[#25]
That was awesome
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 11:58:21 AM EDT
[#26]
simply amazing. I subscribed to your youtube channel.

Im having a hard time with my Canon XS, I could just imagine running a Red. I can imagine what the owners manual looks like.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 3:05:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Tony-Ri
How hard was it to get into? I've been trying to figure out how I could get my hands on a RED One system, but I don't even have money for mediocre glass, let alone a complete system and editing computer! I'm starting to save for a 2/3" 3k Scarlet as that wouldn't be completely out of my reach in the near future. Even so, I would love to recoup my investment in it by selling some of my work or services, or maybe renting the camera out.

Did you attend any school for cinematography or photography? Is that a necessary step in order to get anywhere in that business?

Believe it or not it wasn't hard to get into. If you wanted to do timelapse like the night stuff all you need is a DSLR that can be controlled in some way and a tripod. Then a computer system to process the frames. BTW I use Lightroom with FCP to do all my processing. The internet is one of the best tools in this business because you can make a little video and post it in a couple key areas and have people show it to other people. Its basically free advertising, which works really well. So what I'm getting at, depending on what you want to shoot you don't need the RED One camera. I use mine all the time but before I had it I still sold footage from my Canon 20D and 40D. The very first clip I ever did on my Canon Digital Rebel I sold to some website for their logo.

The other thing is unless you have a solid network of people to rent the RED to don't get it with that assumption that you will be the only game in town with that camera. I had high hopes of making lots of cash with the rental of my camera but that hasn't been the case. I make some money in rentals but the majority is made in the stock footage for me. Plus I know some people that just rent their camera out to whomever without them going with the camera, which does put money in your pocket but the likelihood of your gear getting thrashed is pretty high. So if your going to get a RED camera I would say get it with the plan to use it to sell your self as a shooter. Or come with your camera as a DIT (Digital Imaging Tech) and work out a rate for you and your camera.

The only school I went to was high school and a two years of part time community college, which had nothing to do with filmmaking in the least bit. I just shot a lot of pictures when I was a kid and made little videos with the family camcorder. But one of my biggest learning experiences was working at Warner Bros. and a couple of the other studios around the Burbank area. That was my little film school, except they were paying me to be there. On my days off I would just hang around the studio lot or in cutting rooms talking with the editorial staff. So you can learn photography and cinematography at school and the networking that comes with it. Or you could just start working on sets and learning from the people you meet. Either way you have to start out at the bottom and work your way up, except one of those ways doesn't put you tens of thousands of dollars in debt right out of the gate.

Link Posted: 9/2/2009 3:09:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
simply amazing. I subscribed to your youtube channel.

Im having a hard time with my Canon XS, I could just imagine running a Red. I can imagine what the owners manual looks like.

The owners manual is what sold me on the RED camera. I remember reading the manual on the internet and seeing screen grabs of the picture coming off the camera with the info like shutter speed, frame rate, color temp, ISO and frame guides. After that I had to have the camera. Its a beast but I like learning new things or maybe I'm just a tech geek...its one of the two I'm sure.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 7:59:51 PM EDT
[#29]
What are you using for an intervalometer for the 5D2? I 've been looking for one.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 9:53:46 PM EDT
[#30]
I use the Canon Timer Remote Controller TC-80N3. Works with the "D" model Canon cameras, meaning it won't work with the Rebel cameras. I've been using this since the beginning and it works great. I consider this to be also as important a piece of equipment as a tripod, in relation to timelapse photography/cinematography. I've tried one of the wireless ones when I was starting out and they suck for timelapse.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 10:32:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Nice work Drew! Those fire shots and the tunnel were both great, the others as well, but i just found those particular scenes to be enthralling. That RED camera is a work of art unto itself!
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 4:11:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 12:15:12 AM EDT
[#33]
The camera is awesome, along with the RED One. But what really makes things look impressive is the shot. Seriously, the hardest part of this whole process is finding the right shot and then sometimes your shooting and thinking it might be okay and nothing too special. But when you get he frames processed and see the timelapse in full motion you impress yourself. I love that feeling...makes me want to go out and shoot more footage. Just running out of hard drive space with all these RAW files. Each RAW frame from the 5D2 is 22MB, which is a huge leap coming from the 40D. But I need to hang on to all those frames because they are my digital negatives.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 7:07:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Absolutely amazing.  I also love my 5D Mark II.  I hear you about the 22MB per RAW file.  You can go through 16GB alone in about 500shots.    Then when you start to process them, you need even more space.  I have 2 - 500GB hard drives and 2 - 1TB drives in my computer.  I also have 2 - 500GB and 1 -750GB external hard drives.  Good thing is HDs are cheap.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 7:26:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Amazing! Best thing I've ever seen on the internet!

I've subscribed to your youtube channel as well.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 3:00:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Wow! That's incredible!
I wish I could have the equipment and the know how to do that. Maybe someday.
Very nice work.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 3:21:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Awesome, absolutely awesome. Especially the stars and the fire.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 5:30:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Going up North to get some more footage over the weekend. Hopefully the weather and the moon will cooperate. Glad you guys are liking the timelapse.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:32:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Ridiculous....

#3 was my favorite, but looking forward to watching them all.  Thanks for sharing!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:47:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Very nice,  Reminded me of Koyaanisqatsi.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:52:04 AM EDT
[#41]
I saw at least 5 violations at the intersection.  Good thing you had a "Red" light camera there to catch those lawbreakers...(groan.)

Nice footage.  Thanks for sharing it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top