Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2001 11:22:47 PM EDT
I was at the neighbor's house today and he was watching this movie called "Rain" about the use of trained German shepherds in the Vietnam War on the Animal Channel. I may not be an expert on 1960's era Southeast Asian conflicts, but I sure don't remember M16A2's or even HIGHPOINT CARBINES being issued (much less even existing) unless that time travel guy who ran that classified ad was for real!

The movie wasn't that bad, they just needed a better technical advisor.
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 3:46:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I flipped by that last night. I wonder if they shot that in Canada? All the "M16s" had A2 handguards and A1 uppers, I think they might have been Canadian C7s. I also saw a 16" barrel semiauto Thompson "submachinegun".
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 5:15:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Imbroglio...........I agree with you, not a bad movie at all, in fact I enjoyed it.

Mrs. DieselDocotor

Had to edit forgot a word,OOPS.
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 6:19:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I watched it, in spite of the technical errors. The main problem I had was that the men wouldn't shut up on patrol. I did notice the weapons errors.  The girl even had an M9 Baretta near the end.
It was a good story though.  One major fact was ommitted though.  the majority of the dogs that did not come home, were intentionally left there by our government.  They claimed it was to prevent disease.  I think this ranks right up there with leaving behind men. I watched a documentary about it on thursday. they(the handlers) were given the option of turning the dogs over to the South Vietnamese Army, or putting the dogs down. Not much of a choice.

Airborne

Link Posted: 5/26/2001 6:51:30 AM EDT
[#4]
These dogs gave it all, and we just cast them aside.
                     Ron

list of handlers/dogs
                     [url]www.mcnelly-sr.com/units/scout.htm[/url]

stories:
                     [url]www.thepetchannel.com/News/wardog/[/url]
                     [url]www.qmfound.com/scout_dogs.htm[/url]

home page for War-dogs
                     [url]www.war-dogs.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 7:01:40 AM EDT
[#5]
the whole war dog issue makes me ill in my gut.  a disgrace from the highest levels.  there should be an investigation to find out who's idea it was to abandon them and have then charged with crimes against humanity.  then air drop him into some 3rd world rat-hole war zone wearing only skivies and leave him there to fend for himself.  i've heard somalia is nice this time of year.  maybe it's just me, but i think some dogs (and cats) have more heart than some people i know.

steve
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top