Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2007 8:30:18 PM EDT
Should I let my Toyota dealership do the job or a local shop?
Me doing it is out of the question.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 8:48:29 PM EDT
[#1]
For me, it would depend on whether or not the vehicle is out of warrenty.  If the vehicle is still in warrenty, it goes back to the dealer, after the warrenty runs out it's off to my friendly neighborhood mechanic.  It just seems to be less of a problem that way.

Don't forget to have them change the water pump while they're in the engine, it will save you a ton of labor on a part that WILL need to be replaced.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 8:50:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
For me, it would depend on whether or not the vehicle is out of warrenty.  If the vehicle is still in warrenty, it goes back to the dealer, after the warrenty runs out it's off to my friendly neighborhood mechanic.  It just seems to be less of a problem that way.

Don't forget to have them change the water pump while they're in the engine, it will save you a ton of labor on a part that WILL need to be replaced.

No warranty and yes, I will replace the water pump. It only makes sense since it's got over 100K and it needs to be removed anyway.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 9:18:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Whoever ends up doing the job , request that they use a Toyota
water pump . The aftermarket pumps don't last as long as the belt is
rated for . Other then that see who will give you the best deal because
dealers run specials on maintenance work when it's slow like it usually is
this time of year .
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:00:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Timing belts go out on deals at alot of dealerships, also compare warrenties, most dealers give at least 12 month/12k warrenty on repairs.

Toyota is VERY competative on their parts, so you might get a pretty good deal at the dealership. One thing if you have a dealership that pays the mechanic by the hour rather than flatrape where the mechanic rushs through the job.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:03:22 AM EDT
[#5]
My local Toyo dealer always runs specials in the mail for timing belt changes.
Should be around $400 including water pump.
Modesto Toyota here has always done quality work for my Toyos.
Go to the dealer. Toyota OE parts are the best way to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top