Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2011 6:00:57 PM EDT
Finally time to retire the craftsman LT1000, 42" cut, 18 HP twin. I have repaired it a million times, don't feel like fussing with it this time.

What should I buy? I need to mow about 1.8 acres.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 6:02:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had great luck with John Deere riding mowers.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 6:09:25 PM EDT
[#2]
No complaints from my cub cadet
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 6:11:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

No complaints from my cub cadet

This. I have a 1720 for sale right now, and I switched to a IH CC 1000, with a 44a deck. Just found a 50a less than a mile away.

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 6:11:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I mow 4-5 1/4 acre lots each summer with my John Deere.

I've had it for five years now and other than an annual check-up and blade sharpening, the only maintenance I have had to do is to swap out the battery.

YMMV.

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 6:13:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I've had the x304 for a few years, runs great, pretty good turn radius, and has a decent shovel attachment.
If I could do it over I'd have gotten something more tractor and less mower, but this is a nice compromise.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 6:14:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 6:16:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Consider a good commercial style walk-behind with a sulky. They're faster, more agile, and more efficient. Usually cut better, and use less gas.

If you can mow your lawn in 1/4 the time, standing on the back ain't a big deal.

The downside is they're pretty much ONLY a mower, but if that's all you're interested in doing they're great tools.

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 6:40:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Any opinions on Ariens ride ons?
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 6:43:00 AM EDT
[#9]

I've got the BX25 w/60" MMM. The BX series is awsome, but I'll bet OP don't want to spend that kind of money.

ETA, I looked at your links. I noticed you have added a 3PH generator to your arsenal! Tell me more about it. I am going to get one for mine sometime. (I will probably buy the biggest generator head that I can for the PTO-HP and build the set-up myself)
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 6:49:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I also have absolutely worn out my Craftsman 46" .  Essentially, I used it as a bush hog over the last 4 years and it has been magnificent. I'm headed out today to try and weld a front wheel back on. I treated this thing like crap and it only wanted more. The V-twin engine is awesome. If I can't get the wheel back on, I will likely buy another and treat it just as badly. Although, a Kubota tractor will likely loom in my future as well.

Now that being said, I plunked down the money for a Kubota diesel zero turn for the majority of my cutting (18 acres total with 5 of it clear so far). That Kubota, albeit pricey, is the most awesome machine I have ever operated or owned. The fuel efficiency is outrageous. Highly recommended.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:52:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've got the BX25 w/60" MMM. The BX series is awsome, but I'll bet OP don't want to spend that kind of money.

kubota has their $0 down, 0% finance for 5 years program still in place until the end of june.  

Quoted:
ETA, I looked at your links. I noticed you have added a 3PH generator to your arsenal! Tell me more about it. I am going to get one for mine sometime. (I will probably buy the biggest generator head that I can for the PTO-HP and build the set-up myself)

see
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=647155
and let me know if you have any questions.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 2:00:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I picked one up last year 42" deck. 20hp. I like it for what I do with it. Price was about $1100 I think.

I got it at Home Depot they were offering "free blades for life" and I just got my new set for this year last week.

4 anti-scalp rollers, deck comes off easily for cleaning.

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 2:52:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

kubota has their $0 down, 0% finance for 5 years program still in place until the end of june.  

Quoted:

see
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=647155
and let me know if you have any questions.

ar-jedi

Thanks! How many Kw is yours?

I am looking at buying a 10 Kw, 4 pole genny head off of ebay. My B-I-L is a head honcho at Motion Industries and can hook me up with universals, splined couplers and figure out the correct pulley ratios.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 2:58:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

perhaps the "PTO10" written on the side of the generator head was a clue?  

my tractor's PTO output is a little undersized for a full 10KW continuous but the additional inertia from the larger rotor is useful for starting motor loads like the well pump.

ps:
i would use gears, not pulleys and vbelt, for this application.  or perhaps a toothed belt.
getting approx 20HP through a v-belt setup (reliably) can be "interesting".

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 3:07:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a three year old John Deere that is nearly new. 42" 22 hp v-twin. Nice mower. I have an acre of grass so it gets a little work threw the summer. But the three months of rain we get I'm mowing 3 acres of grass and pasture.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 3:07:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

perhaps the "PTO10" written on the side of the generator head was a clue?  

my tractor's PTO output is a little undersized for a full 10KW continuous but the additional inertia from the larger rotor is useful for starting motor loads like the well pump.

ps:
i would use gears, not pulleys and vbelt, for this application.  or perhaps a toothed belt.
getting approx 20HP through a v-belt setup (reliably) can be "interesting".

ar-jedi

Duh, I guess I should have figured that!

Thanks again. You are probably right on the belt, but I was figuring a double belt/pulley set up. My B-I-L was very concerned about stepping up 540 RPM to 3600 RPM, but felt better after I explained to him that I was going for the 4-pole, 1800 RPM genny head. If I have to go geared though, it may be cheaper for me just to buy the redy made 3PH PTO set up.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 3:08:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Any opinions on Ariens ride ons?

RUN, do not walk away.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 3:26:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Buy a nice clean original older GARDEN TRACTOR.("70's-"80's)Maintain it and never need another.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 4:57:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
it may be cheaper for me just to buy the redy made 3PH PTO set up.

tractors get "divorced" from PTO generators, and this makes for good buying opportunities.  in my case, a guy was retiring, he sold his tractor but the buyer didn't want the PTO generator with it.  (nor the tiller, for that matter).  now the seller has a PTO generator and no tractor.  enter "me".

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 6/23/2011 7:47:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

so ... what did you decide to get?

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 7:51:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Go old school IH Cub Cadet, JD, or Kubota. I own several. A 1772, 1000, and a 1720. John Deere I have a 455 Diesel, 318, and a 110. Just picked up a Snapper Ferguson 1855 yesterday, and this thing might be my new go to tractor. Old school is better in my opinion.

Kubota diesels are very good as well.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 8:23:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

so ... what did you decide to get?

ar-jedi

Still deciding, and searching craigslist everyday.

Meanwhile my grass is getting taller and taller.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 8:46:47 AM EDT
[#23]
I ended up with a sears v-twin 26hp rider  and a 54" deck last year.  I don't bother picking up sticks, I just mow them with everything else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top