Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2017 11:39:41 PM EDT
We live in Ca, and enjoy year round barbecuing.  That takes its toll on my stuff.

I currently have a large, free standing, portable 5 burner kenmore dual fuel model, but i run exclusivley on NG.  Its a stainless model, but its on its last legs.  The burner covers have all been replaced at least once, and now the little tabs that hold the covers off the gas tubes are gone.

The heavy cast iron grates are ravaged by repeated rust and cleaning.

I keep a clean grill.  I use a brush or a grill scouring pad every time i light it and every time i turn it off.  I typically give it a full blast 20 minute shot to burn off any food left on it.

I normally dont cover it, but the stainless outside is fine, its the repeated hot cold cycles that are killing the inside of it, i think

First, how do i get the new one to last longer, and second, what is a good brand for durability amd replacement parts availability?  Looking for a gas grill, not a charcoal or wood model.

Its probably 8-10 years old, maybe thats the life cycle.  

I like the heavy grates but they sure didnt hold up well.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:54:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Natural gas and propane are only fit to cook kids hotdogs. Lump charcoal or GTFO
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:58:09 PM EDT
[#2]
It depends on how much you want to spend (Viking) or less (Weber). Even a lower end Weber is a good grill.
Best Gas Grills of 2017 | Top Gas Grill Rankings & Reviews : BBQ Guys
https://www.bbqguys.com/bbq-learning-center/top-rated/best-gas-grills

https://www.thespruce.com/the-truth-about-stainless-steel-334921
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:58:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Natural gas and propane are only fit to cook kids hotdogs. Lump charcoal or GTFO
View Quote
Thats your opinion, and it happens to be wrong.

Natural gas and a good cut of meat is fine.  Steaks, fish, chicken, all are superb on gas, and the ability to cook something now instead of on a half hour is the difference between eating at a reasonable hour during ghe week and eating late.  Im not "smoking" on it, im cooking.  

Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:01:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I asked this same question yesterday, noone had an answer,  at which price point does the grill last multiply seasons. I eat fresh,  grilling meat is a must for my steak fix
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:06:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Had a char-broil last me 12 years. Just replaced it with a weber S-330 NG. 

Too early to tell on longevity but heat is more even and gets hotter than the char-broil did when new. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:18:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Weber G II. Parts everywhere on the cheap. 3 burner NG does great here, $700 well spent. Preheat to 550, lower where needed.

I do keep a kettle and smoker at hand as well.

Forget the "get both" crowd, get 3
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:22:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Weber Genesis I or II.

Unless you want to buy another 3-4 in the next 20 years.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:33:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Weber Genesis E-310 here.  Have had it for three years, covered, outside on the deck, and I grill just about year-round.

Everything works just like the day I bought it.  All I do is run it after cooking to burn everything off, a few scrubs with the wire brush, and it's ready to go for next time.

I figure it might be the last grill I ever buy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top