Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2001 4:06:01 AM EDT
Even one handgun on each of those planes last Tuesday would have resulted in an entirely different outcome.  The idea that a handful of people found a way to kill thousands with just box cutters is simply mind boggling.  And it can't be stopped without strip searches at airports because of all of the non-metalic knives that are available (or can be simply made) So, I have been thinking about how CCW can be extended to cover aircraft.  But I don't think pure CCW (all honest citizens) will be politically acceptable even after all of this.

There has been a lot of talk in the media about all of the security checks that people in Israel have to live with every day (and therefore how we need to get ready for more inconvienent security measures). But no one has mentioned that there is virtually no gun control in Israel and that off-duty soldiers carry their weapons everywhere. So if we are going to follow the Israeli model, here is what I propose.

We should issue "go anywhere" national carry permits to people that we have already identified as being trustworthy. Start with officers and NCOs in the armed forces (and the reserves) with an appropriate security clearance (this means a much more detailed background check than a simple search for criminal record). Add to that state troopers and local police officers. We already trust them enough that we require them to carry when off duty. Why not let them carry outside of their jurisdiction? I think something involving such a group would be possible to sell politically, and down the road after people get used to the idea (and especially if one of these people breaks up a terrorist attack) it might be possible to expand it to all CCW holders.

Issuing licences to the groups listed here wouldn't cost anything other than the cost of administering the licences itself, since the background investigations have already been done for other reasons. Of course, the individuals provide their own weapons and ammo and are responsible for keeping their skills up to date. (Maybe require additional training at the individuals expense before we let them on planes.) The only difference with the Israeli model is that we don't make it manditory for our soldiers to carry when off duty.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 4:17:53 AM EDT
[#1]
A national CCW would be the only form of national ID I'll accept.  Otherwise, they can kiss my ass.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 11:30:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I was getting ready to slam you idea until I read it.

It is a good idea, with the exception that they be required to do an "airline" training course.  All cops, military, etc., we would have a whole nation of "Air Marshals."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top