Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2008 4:30:32 AM EDT
Just a quick question about the "time a thread is posted." I am on the East Coast and the current time is 8:30 am. So when I post this it will show 8:30am for me. Now when sombody in California wakes up and reads this, does it show my post as 8:30am for him or is it adjusted for the 3 hour time difference between time zones?

The reason I ask is an EE thread was locked over a 72 hour BTT violation and according to what I saw, the OP had posted about 30 minutes prior to midnight according to my clock, but according to his clock it was 30 minutes after midnight and hence not a 72 hour violation.

So what time does my post show up on your computer?
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 4:32:26 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Just a quick question about the "time a thread is posted." I am on the East Coast and the current time is 8:30 am. So when I post this it will show 8:30am for me. Now when sombody in California wakes up and reads this, does it show my post as 8:30am for him or is it adjusted for the 3 hour time difference between time zones?

The reason I ask is an EE thread was locked over a 72 hour BTT violation and according to what I saw, the OP had posted about 30 minutes prior to midnight according to my clock, but according to his clock it was 30 minutes after midnight and hence not a 72 hour violation.

The time is shown with your own time zone you choose in your personal preferences.

So it showed up that you posted at 7:30 CDT
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 4:33:06 AM EDT
[#2]
7:30 for me.  Central time.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 4:33:48 AM EDT
[#3]
All time is adjusted for time zone based on your local settings.

eta: Profile->Edit Preferences
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 4:35:52 AM EDT
[#4]
It's 72 hrs between bumps. If it was more than that, something was wrong with the lock.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 4:37:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The time is shown with your own time zone you choose in your personal preferences.

So it showed up that you posted at 7:30 CDT

So then how does this effect the 72 hour BTT violation in the EE? If I posted something 3 days ago at 8:30am by my clock it would be OK to bump it again, but if you are a moderator in your area, it would look like I bumped it and hour early and hence I only waited 71 hours to bump it.

Mods, I am not trying to stir up things, I just want to know how this is handled.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 5:53:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So then how does this effect the 72 hour BTT violation in the EE? If I posted something 3 days ago at 8:30am by my clock it would be OK to bump it again, but if you are a moderator in your area, it would look like I bumped it and hour early and hence I only waited 71 hours to bump it.

Mods, I am not trying to stir up things, I just want to know how this is handled.

Time is the same everywhere.

Even if you are in MA and the mod is in CA, 72 hours is still the same everywhere. You post on the EE @ 0600 EDT, the mod sees that the post was made at 0300 PDT. So, you can bump it at 0600 + 3days and the mod will see that it was bumped at 0300 + 3 days.

Time is kept as UTC on the server and is adjusted to the client's timezone when it is displayed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top