Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2002 8:14:06 AM EDT
Time Warner Charges Flood Victims $300 for Each Damaged Cable Box.

[url]www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,59198,00.html[/url]

[i]edited to make link active. lordtrader[/i]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 8:16:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I seriously doubt there is anywhere near $300 worth of electronics inside a cable box [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 8:18:04 AM EDT
[#2]
[url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,59198,00.html
[/url]

Insurance should cover it (if they had flood ins.), and it's just a scam to get $ from the ins. companies...

Maybe someone should call the BBB.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 8:26:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Time Warner Charges Flood Victims $300 for Each Damaged Cable Box.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,59198,00.html
View Quote

Time Warner is one of the worst service companies out there. Ranking up with TWC:

1. Cingular Wireless
2. MCI
3. BellSouth

A couple of really good companies (great customer service):

1. Florida Power & Light
2. DiscoverCard

That's just my experience. [:D]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 8:29:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 6:48:36 PM EDT
[#5]
No one is forced to sign up for cable tv.  If they don't like the terms of service, don't sign up.  If you do sign, don't whine.

Link Posted: 7/31/2002 7:06:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I seriously doubt there is anywhere near $300 worth of electronics inside a cable box [rolleyes]
View Quote
You should go price cable boxes.  Maybe there isn't that much worth in a cable box, but the price is consistent with what they charge you if you break one, lose one, or don't return one when you terminate the service.
View Quote

There is no mention of the cost of replacing a broken ,stolen or damaged cable box in the user agreement,that said,this is what you can do,contact an online company that sells original cable boxes and ask them for a quote and send that quote into the cable company and tell them that what they are charging is not allowed by law and if you want i will look  for the story i read about a cable company that got sued big time and had to refund a lot of money ,they were almost indicted by a fed grand jury for fraud,it happened to a friend of mine and we did some research on this and found ourt the comapnay pays about $85.00 per unit from General instrunmemnts top of the line unit and about the same for a Scientific Atlanta.
They backed off right away and excepted the $85 bucks.
If they went to court they would have to prove their loss and show proof what they paid and that would be very embarrassing.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#7]
According to a news report I heard this morning, neither flood insurance nor homeowner's insurance covers leased equipment (Beware rent-to-owners!) and a cable box is considered leased equipment.

Warner is going to have a whole bunch of P.O.'d customers.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 7:27:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 7:36:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Just another example of why I long ago dropped cable and switched to SAT.
Those cable companies will never-ever get another dime of my scratch...
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 10:30:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,59198,00.html
[/url]

Insurance should cover it (if they had flood ins.), and it's just a scam to get $ from the ins. companies...

Maybe someone should call the BBB.
View Quote

I wouldn't think many people in San Antonio would have flood insurance.  That's like having it in Las Vegas.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top