Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/18/2006 9:09:38 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/19/2006 3:05:30 AM EST by TacticalStrat]
This is the most illogical crap I have ever heard. Here's a warning to anyone getting cable service.

I just moved into a new house. During construction I had an electrician wire the house for 75 Ohm cable. There are 11 outlets total throughout the house. Everything is all ready to go with all 11 outlets hot (I just need hookup outside house). I called Time Warner Cable and told them I was moving and ask them to transfer my existing account exactly the way it was to my new address, and that I needed the cable run from the street up to the main cable input box on the outside of the house. Once the line was attached to the outside of the house, all 11 of my cable outlets would work. I would carry my decoder boxes and cable modem with me and hook them up myself. They asked me how many TV's I had and I said three.

The cable installer arrives and hooks up the line outside the house. He is Asian and doesn't speak English very good at all. Everything he says, I can pick out about one word out of ten that I understand. After he hooks up the cable outside, he wants to come in the house and verify everything is working OK. He looks at the three TVs and sees all is good. He then asks to see the junction box (where all 11 cables connect). I show him the box in the closet and he pulls out his wire cutters and starts to cut the cables. I'm like: "WHOA!!!! WTF are you doing??? Why are you cutting my cables????" In his broken English I can grasp some words that seem to mean that Time Warner needs to charge me an "ACTIVATION FEE" of $19.95 per cable outlet to LEAVE MY CABLES HOOKED UP. I want to leave the cables hooked up because I plan to buy more TVs and install them in some of the other rooms. After we argue about it for a few minutes, I tell him to just leave the cables intact and get the fook out of my house.

I get my bill yesterday and there is a "ACTIVATION FEE" on my bill for 11 outlets totaling $219. I call Time Warner to dispute the charge. Here's how the conversation went:

Me: I am calling to dispute the activation charge of 11 outlets on my bill. I feel I don't owe this money because my outlets were already activated.

Cable Guy: But Sir we have to charge you an activation charge per outlet if the lines are left hooked up.

Me: Well then that's a "Charge to not deactivate" my outlets, not an activation charge?

Cable Guy: But the technician checked all of you outlets to confirm they were functional.

Me: Ummmmmm... no he did not. He said if I did not pay the ACTIVATION FEE , he was going to cut the 8 lines that did not have TVs on them

Cable Guy: I'm sorry sir that's our policy.

Me: Please explain to me the value I received for my money on the ACTIVATION FEE?

Cable Guy: Well sir, we activated your outlets.

Me: No you did not. You charged me NOT TO deactivate my outlets. Basically, you're extorting money out of me.

Cable Guy: The technician activated your outlets so you need to pay for that. You should have let him cut the cables and then you could have had an electrician wire them back up.

Me: HELLO!!! Did you hear what you just recommended? You are telling me that I should have deactivated my cables that were in perfect working order, and then paid to have them activated again. Can you not grasp how illogical that is?????? That's it!!! Let me speak to your supervisor.

Supervisor gets on the line and we have same argument for 5 minutes. Then............

Supervisor: I am willing to meet you half way on this and eliminate 1/2 of the activation charges.

Me: OK.....I am sick of discussing this with you. Credit my bill for 1/2 and I can promise you that I will be seeking other service options. As soon as I find an another service option, you can bet your ass that I'll be switching to another mode of TV service (The problem is there are not real options).

Supervisor: I have already credited your account.

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:23:36 AM EST
The moral, .....don't let them in the house?

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:23:51 AM EST
I'm seriously considering satellite
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:27:05 AM EST

Originally Posted By nightstalker:

exactly
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:32:02 AM EST
And the funny part is that the cables inside the house belong to you and he damaged them without your permission.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:41:19 AM EST
As a private cable system owner, this is bullshit.

They were trying to gouge you, I have heard of a lot of bullshit charges, but this takes the cake.

When I hook up customers homes, its a $15.00 hook up fee.
You wanna run 11 lines, thats your business, I could care less.

Anybody who cuts lines like that, lines that already have proper fittings on them, is nuts.

People acting like this are what give the cable industry a bad name.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:44:30 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/18/2006 9:44:47 AM EST by dsg2003gt]
You could have got more. They always offer half first and 85-90% of customers take it.

I work for a cell phone company...I know.

But seriously, that sucks fnd a new company.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:45:29 AM EST
I just recently had a nasty dispute with time warner. Just moved like you. They were a bunch of fucking idiots. After a bunch of phone calls I got so pissed I drove out to their branch with all the paperwork. I easily spent more time than it was worth to fix but it was a matter of being bent over and dicked around with and I don't stand for that shit.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:46:21 AM EST
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:47:39 AM EST
DirecTV: Reaching everyone, anywhere.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:49:36 AM EST

Originally Posted By dsg2003gt:
You could have got more. They always offer half first and 85-90% of customers take it.

I work for a cell phone company...I know.

But seriously, that sucks fnd a new company.

Yup.

I'd insist that they waive all the line connection fees and send a tech out to repair any and all connections damaged by their first tech.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:53:25 AM EST
Cable sucks. Go with Direct Tv.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:58:49 AM EST
For the $219 you could have gone to Lowes, Creepy Depot, or an electrical supply house, bought COAX strippers, a compression tool, and compression fittings for COAX (I'm assuming RG-6) and reconnected all the lines yourself and had money left over to buy at least half a case of .223....

Fuck the large cable companies, they rape you and then bill ya.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:17:59 AM EST
"That's our policy sir"

The corporate Nuremberg defense is alive and well. God forbid someone actually use judgement and make a call on something.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:21:27 AM EST
Considering the fact that one of THEIR employees destroyed your PERSONAL property, if it was me, I would have had that non-English speaking SOB arrested, and I'd be suing the bloody hell out of Time Warner. Their employee committed a criminal act against a subscriber. That CAN'T be good PR if it just happened to reach the media.

Raise Hell, Son!! The hell with that 1/2 off charge crap. Send 'em a bill for labor, and replacement of the damaged property.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:35:32 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/18/2006 10:36:11 AM EST by Admiral_Crunch]
What bullshit. The company policy is completely incompatible with the concept of someone running their own lines and not letting the cable company do it all.

Tell them to run the main line from the street to your junction box, test it at that point, and you'll take it from there. Any wiring inside the house is your property and your business. Too late now, I know, but that's how you should handle it if you plan on doing the internal wiring.

BTW, if you're running that many splits, you'll probably need an amplifier.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:36:16 AM EST
You should have buried him in your basement. whoops . . . . did I say that out loud?

I especially like their "free self-installation" phone service . . . . WTF!?!?

They suck, all telecom sucks, but I need my cable and internet and free coast to coast unlimited telephone and mobile phone . . . crap. And I still don't answer the phone when it rings.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:36:18 AM EST
For some reason I just pictured the asian guy from the movie "Falling Down". You know, the one in the street front LA store that Michael Douglas ends up trashing over the price of a soda.

After Michael Douglas trashes the guys store he asks:

"Now, how much for a can of soda?"

Asian Storeowner: FITTY CENT!!!

MD: "Sold!!!" and pays for it.

Sorry, just had to share!!

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:43:36 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/18/2006 10:45:38 AM EST by TexasEd]

Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:
And the funny part is that the cables inside the house belong to you and he damaged them without your permission.

+1 They cut my cables, they fix my cables, or I take 'em to see Judge Wapner.

Good luck.

Ed

P.S. "He is Asian and doesn't speak English very good well at all."
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:46:26 AM EST

Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:
What bullshit. The company policy is completely incompatible with the concept of someone running their own lines and not letting the cable company do it all.

Tell them to run the main line from the street to your junction box, test it at that point, and you'll take it from there. Any wiring inside the house is your property and your business. Too late now, I know, but that's how you should handle it if you plan on doing the internal wiring.

BTW, if you're running that many splits, you'll probably need an amplifier.

And you'll really only want to have hooked up the drops that are currently connected to something. A bunch of extra drops around the house is just asking for interference.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:01:09 AM EST
I am starting a cable installing job on Monday with Time Warner.

I'll be sure to watch out for this type of instruction. That IS bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:07:11 AM EST

Originally Posted By TexasEd:

Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

+1 They cut my cables, they fix my cables, or I take 'em to see Judge Wapner.

Good luck.

Ed

P.S. "He is Asian and doesn't speak English very good well at all."

LOL!!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:22:40 AM EST
I had a dispute when I just moved to my new house, and wanted to get Direct TV hooked up. Most of the house was already wired, with only one room not wired that I wanted wired. So they come in and say that they are going to have to re-wire the entire house because the old ones don't have a phone connection. So I told them I don't see a reason why I need another phone line, as I already have one and they say that the phone line works when ordering pay-per-view movies, and if you don't have it you'll have to call us to order a per-per-view movie. Well, since I couldn't remember the last time I watched a PPV movie, I told them I don't care, just leave the existing lines in place. They wanted to give me some crap until I told them to either do it or forget the whole thing.

Money talks and that all there is to it. Unless you have leverage in the money department, your'e screwed. And since there are really no cable tv providers to compete with Time Warner, you'll either have to go satellite or do what I'd do if I weren't married, and that is to hook up the old antennae and to hell with paying anyone.

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:56:45 AM EST

Originally Posted By Lon_Moer:

exactly

+1
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:04:07 PM EST

Originally Posted By tyman:

Unless it's raining. Cable sucks the big one, but at least I can watch the TV during bad weather.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:08:45 PM EST

Originally Posted By Stasher1:

Unless it's raining. Cable sucks the big one, but at least I can watch the TV during bad weather.

Unless it's gusting really hard (I mean hard) I still have my Dish service, and my dish is mounted on a galvanized pole.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:14:46 PM EST
I had Direct TV for three years when I lived in AL, and it would go out every time it rained. Especially fun when you're under a Tornado Warning/Watch and you can't watch the weather.

The wind didn't seem to bother it, though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:16:42 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/18/2006 12:17:22 PM EST by KN]
It takes a major thunder storm to interrupt my service and I have never had it last for more than a few minutes or so. That’s with DishNetwork though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:23:45 PM EST

I had Direct TV for three years when I lived in AL, and it would go out every time it rained. Especially fun when you're under a Tornado Warning/Watch and you can't watch the weather.

The wind didn't seem to bother it, though.

With all of the bad storms here in Indiana, I have only lost service for less than ten minutes total. I have had a few moments of pixilated images, but when compared to all the bullshit I dont have to go through with Insight or Comcast, I'll take it. Oh yeah my total DirecTv bill is about $20 less than Insight or ComCast with about 80 more channels and I have 2 DVR's.

Cable can lick my balls after a good workout...
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:32:11 PM EST
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:34:49 PM EST
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:47:02 PM EST
I don't know what I'd do in that situation, but it wouldn't be good. I'd say Mr Asian installer would be getting a visit from Mr PoPo.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:51:41 PM EST
TS: If DirectTV is in your area I would suggest going with that. Second choice would be Comcast cable.

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:52:19 PM EST

Originally Posted By Lon_Moer:

exactly

Or...don't let them leave.

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:56:07 PM EST

Originally Posted By deej86:
TS: If DirectTV is in your area I would suggest going with that. Second choice would be Comcast cable.

Do they have HDTV channels?
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 1:08:44 PM EST

Originally Posted By TacticalStrat:
Supervisor gets on the line and we have same argument for 5 minutes. Then............

Wow. That's really impressive. Last time I called the cable company and asked for a supervisor, they told me to leave them my cell phone number and that a supervisor would call me sometime in the next 24-48 hours.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 1:09:25 PM EST

Originally Posted By TacticalStrat:

Originally Posted By deej86:

Do they have HDTV channels?

Yes IIRC. I don't know if DirecTV charges for HD, IIRC Comcast does. I have Comcast, my sister has DirectTV. The DVR is awesome for DirectTV.

From all the horror stories I have heard here about Dish Network(YMMV) I would not in good faith reccomend Dish Network. There may be people that can tell you differently, but YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 1:13:36 PM EST
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 1:27:21 PM EST
$19.95 each is very cheap if the cable company has to add an amplifier or change an amplifier setting on a pole to support the additional drops. For example, my great-nephew didn't have enough signal strength to connect both his cable box and his new cable modem. He also wanted to add another drop to his TiVo. After arbitration versus Charter with a local county official, he had to pay their actual cost for the amplifier and installation. That was $600. The signal just doesn't come from nowhere. The cable company has to boost the signal to handle your huge number of drops. Also, your large number of drops may cause problems for them later when they connect additional houses in your area.

They asked me how many TV's I had and I said three.

You should only connect the cables you're using! Each additional cable will degrade the signal. The quality of the signal on most cable system is already so horrible that you can't afford any degradation. Only three of your connections should be connected until you buy another TV.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 1:27:40 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/18/2006 1:28:57 PM EST by cnatra]
that's complete B.S.

was this in Houston ?
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 1:32:36 PM EST

Around here with Charter we have the opposite problem! Since Charter doesn't use waterproof boxes or weathertight connections, most people I know in the area have trouble with reception when it rains. At work, it's often several hours after it rains before our cable modem starts working again. I know quite a few people that have moved to satellite dishes so that they can watch TV while it's raining. Yes very heavy cloud cover will block the satellite signal, but that occurs much less often than rain that will knock-out the cable.z
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 1:40:35 PM EST

Originally Posted By zoom:

Around here with Charter we have the opposite problem! Since Charter doesn't use waterproof boxes or weathertight connections, most people I know in the area have trouble with reception when it rains. At work, it's often several hours after it rains before our cable modem starts working again. I know quite a few people that have moved to satellite dishes so that they can watch TV while it's raining. Yes very heavy cloud cover will block the satellite signal, but that occurs much less often than rain that will knock-out the cable.z

They have a bad seal in one of their amplifiers which is allowing water to enter and screw up the return path.

Call them up and tell them to fix it.

Concerning splitters, everytime you split that signal, your lowering your signal level.

We give people enough signal to run 3 or 4 tv's.

If you want to run 11 tv's you need to go to Radio Shack and get a little cable booster - about $30
Then you can run all the tv's you want...but you need to boost it before it gets into the snowy picture, cause if you boost it then, all you are boosting is the snow.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 1:48:50 PM EST
Fuck them! Never let them in the house. Every time i get a visit from the Cable/Satellite/Telephone...etc. goons they always insist on coming inside to 'inspect' and ensure everything is alright until they're met at the door by Napoleon, Alexander and Ceaser, my three big, beautiful and mean Rottweilers....Amazing how quickly they change their mind....
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 1:55:56 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/18/2006 1:57:09 PM EST by AcidGambit]
I would call the FCC, because they are not allowed to do that shit, just like they are not allowed to charge you per outlet anymore.
Then I would call a lawyer, because they destroyed your property.

I have Cox, when they came to hook up my band new house, they didn't try any of that shit.

ETA: Cox can kiss my ass anyway.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 1:58:25 PM EST

Originally Posted By purplecheese:

Unless it's gusting really hard (I mean hard) I still have my Dish service, and my dish is mounted on a galvanized pole.

Gotta be honest, fringe of hurricanes, full on tropical storms, my buddy's dish hasn't gone down.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 1:59:09 PM EST
The only time I ever lose my Direct TV signal is during an unusually heavy thunderstorm, and then it is not for long at all. Such a strong storm is usually more fun to watch anyway.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 2:02:35 PM EST

I live in Washington.
It rains all the time in Washingon.
I have yet to lose my DTV signal during rain or snow.
I had cable.
The cable would go out at least once a month for at least 3-8 hours, if not more.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 2:05:20 PM EST
One of my best days was when I finished my Dish install and climbed up the side of my house, Cut the cable strung 10' off the ground all the way across my yard.
I hate cable companies, they are as bad a Democrat's.

If your Dish signal is going out every time it rains, your setup is wrong, Mine almost never went out. It was way more reliable than cable ever was.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 2:10:09 PM EST
Time Warner is democrat.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 2:11:08 PM EST
You watch too much TV dude....try going outside to play!
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 2:14:05 PM EST

Originally Posted By Gloftoe:
So are you getting that little bastard to come back out and fix the cables that he cut? I'd most assuredly demand that they do.

He never got to cut any. I stopped him as he was getting ready to cut.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top