Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/19/2001 12:34:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/19/2001 12:28:23 AM EDT by Ulysse_Nardin_1846]
Leave it up to the pukes at "Time" magazine to link the NRA to the Taliban. It was only a matter of "Time" until someone found out! I got the December 24th 2001 issue today. On page 40 there is an article titled, "A Trip Inside bin Laden's Caves". Written by some jerkoff named Matthew Forney. Here is a brief excerpt from the second paragraph of the puke's article:
Strewn across the terraced slopes that climb the valley were torn strips of Arabic training manuals, bits of a Chinese-Arabic dictionary, some shreds of clothing, a set of parallel exercise bars and a shooting target printed by the National Rifle Association...
View Quote
BullsShit huh? NRA is responsible for improving the Taliban's marksmanship through the use of "NRA printed targets"! Now would that target really be "printed" by the NRA, or is it merely an "NRA approved target"? No that it would make a difference. This article is only in print and I couldn't find it on their website. Nevertheless, I'm going to send those rat bastards some hate mail. BTW- Why does the subject disappear when one edit's his post?
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:07:49 AM EDT
I think all the news organizations are linked to the Taliban because they have also found video equipment and video tapes too. They really ought to ban those things.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:34:28 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:59:34 AM EDT
Humm... well, I hope there is more to the article than that. If that's all they said, that hardly ties the NRA to the Taliban. I actually think it's pretty interesting that those guys got their hands on targets which were obviously printed in the USA. That almost seems to mean they have people shipping them supplies from here. Just because they point out an interesting fact doesn't mean they are making "ties" or implying anything. I actually would like to know such information. Now, if they went on to actually say "The NRA is obviously supplying them with training aids" then you have something to get pissed about.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 6:09:44 AM EDT
What? Terrorists don't have the right to target practice? I target practice. Am I a terrorist? Since when are targets illegal? Shooting at targets means they are not comitting crimes, unless they are disobeying some municipal ordinance against discharging guns! I use TIME magazines for target practice. Especially the one with Gorbechev on the cover.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 6:33:09 AM EDT
[tinfoil hat]So THATS how they are going to round us all up. Label all NRA members terrorists and implicate us in a conspiracy plot. Very ingenious.[/tinfoil hat]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 6:47:28 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:20:48 AM EDT
Uh, methinks you do protest too much. Based on your quote, you cannot conclude that Time is claiming that the NRA is "linked" to the Taliban. They report finding an NRA target in a cave (not surprising, any bozo can go into WallyMarts and get one). Frankly, as hard as it is to see hits on those NRA targets, we could conclude the NRA is helping to defeat the Taliban by thwarting their shooting abilities. [;)]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:37:59 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:47:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:55:06 AM EDT
Wait a minute, WHO just linked the NRA to the Taliban? All I saw in the quote of the Time article was a reference to items from Arabic, Chinese-Arabic, and American sources. I saw irony but not conspiracy.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 8:03:26 AM EDT
HOW FAR OVER THE EDGE HAVE THE AMERICAN PUBLIC GONE!I think this is drawing at straws.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:44:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/19/2001 4:42:39 PM EDT by Ulysse_Nardin_1846]
From the Yahoo board ( Thanks Big Bear for the link ):
Re: Targets from the NRA by: gregg1365 12/11/01 11:14 am Msg: 7147 of 17612 my gun toting, hyperpatriotic, jingoistic friends - you may be very right that the NRA did not exactly send the targets to them - and yes, I'm sure they could have picked them up at the local Walmart in Kabul - because I hear they have a well stocked supercenter there, right next to the trailer park outside Jalalabad, where if you were all afghanis, you would live- anyhow, my point is very logical - if there were no gun targets made by anyone, there would be no gun targets there - no guns. it's that simple.
View Quote
Well, no reporters no reports of NRA targets in Taliban caves.[whacko]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:46:24 PM EDT
Originally Posted By punkatomic: Wait a minute, WHO just linked the NRA to the Taliban? All I saw in the quote of the Time article was a reference to items from Arabic, Chinese-Arabic, and American sources. I saw irony but not conspiracy.
View Quote
That would be Matthew Forney.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:53:11 PM EDT
This will be enough to allow the democrat administration in 2004 to place the NRA and all it's members under investigation by the Office of Homeland Defense. What is good enough for non-citizens, is good enough for everyone else. National gun and gun owner registration would be soon to follow.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:58:17 PM EDT
Perhaps this post from yahoo sums it up best:
Re: Targets from the NRA by: atirutan 12/11/01 12:46 pm Msg: 7460 of 17612 1 recommendation Are you really that much of an idiot. how many of these people have acquaintances in the US. The NRA targets are available. Leave it to the liberal press to make sure that one got in there for the stupid anti gun freaks.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:53:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/19/2001 5:50:00 PM EDT by timh70]
W_G, it's not so much the implied link, as it the thought that went into the sentence. The reporter could have said "targets" and gotten his point across. But he HAD to say
a shooting target printed by the National Rifle Association...
View Quote
. And THAT is the difference. He IMPLIED the link between the NRA and the Taliban, without any real evidence. [smoke]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:54:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/19/2001 5:47:28 PM EDT by timh70]
whoops. [smoke]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 6:00:36 PM EDT
Actually, it is probably an NRA "approved" target printed by a number of companies. For instance, I have some sold by Outers, but have the NRA seal on them. Still, they don't bother to mention what wording is on everything else they find.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 6:08:02 PM EDT
[B]W_G, it's not so much the implied link, as it the thought that went into the sentence. The reporter could have said "targets" and gotten his point across. But he HAD to say -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- a shooting target printed by the National Rifle Association... -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- . And THAT is the difference. He IMPLIED the link between the NRA and the Taliban, without any real evidence.[/B]
View Quote
Nup, 'fraid not. Reporters always describe things in lurid detail because that's the way to show people what they've seen, for those who were not there. If he had just said 'targets', the first question that comes to mind would be "What kind/type of targets? What did they look like?". So describing them as such gives people a mental picture. A statement of fact like that describing exactly what he sees as he sees it implies nothing. If he were pontificating about a link of some sort, that'd be a different story. However, there was no implied link in those words whatsoever.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 6:47:12 PM EDT
NRA targets are an ubiquitous item and are likely to exist in many countries. Are you surprised, Ulysse_Nardin_1846? The writer makes the Taliban link to the NRA, huh? Seems to me he linked the paper target to the NRA but did not link the NRA to the Taliban. It's absurd. If they shot up Coca-Cola cans could you say that that corporation was linked to the Taliban because the writer made that particular distinction? Tin foil hats.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:25:40 PM EDT
I think the guy was trying to slant it against the NRA. Why don't you think so, we see this type of thing all the time? Take for example that asshole on the yahoo site.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 4:48:28 AM EDT
Originally Posted By punkatomic: NRA targets are an ubiquitous item and are likely to exist in many countries. Are you surprised, Ulysse_Nardin_1846?
View Quote
No, no, no. I am not surprised one bit that NRA approved targets can be found all around the globe.
The writer makes the Taliban link to the NRA, huh? Seems to me he linked the paper target to the NRA but did not link the NRA to the Taliban. It's absurd. If they shot up Coca-Cola cans could you say that that corporation was linked to the Taliban because the writer made that particular distinction? Tin foil hats.
View Quote
Uh, NRA targets found in Taliban cave right? Who was shooting at it? Charlton Heston? "Time" is giving the NRA negative publicity and they have no reason to do the same with the likes of Coca Cola. Their "agenda" here is quite clear to me. Ask yourself, what would the average soccer mom who never heard of the NRA before think after reading this article? See the bigger picture here? Most of them vote as well. Proof: Clinton was president for two terms. Would they have a favorable opinion of the NRA or negative? Maybe I should utilize the "poll" feature.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 5:08:37 AM EDT
All one needs is one target (or a JPEG of same....)and a photocopier, then, voila, everybody and his raghead brother now has targets to shoot at..... More subliminal negativity about guns from TIME- what else is new? (ho hum)....
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 8:21:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/20/2001 8:18:16 AM EDT by punkatomic]
Ulysse_Nardin_1846, You're an intelligent guy, that's obvious, and I understand the point you wish to make. The NRA is a name everybody's heard of by now and the writer you have such contempt for is using it for this familiarity in his prose. The idea that he's biased against guns is assumed. I guess I have a thicker skin on these matters. I can see the writer winking as he writes in this little reference in the story but it just isn't any bigger than that. The paper targets with the NRA logo or "printed by" line on them are universial and exist in every country, so what! You are intelligent, and so are most of us, you don't need to fall for such a innocuous device as the writer has used here. Remember who he is writing for and the supposed grade level of the ordinary mass media reader. 95Th Foot nailed it. "...so what else is new?"
Top Top