Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/23/2005 6:03:44 AM EDT
I'm building myself a house and one of the things I'm having trouble deciding is if I want tile floors or hardwood in the hallways and kitchen/dining area.

I want to get a dog at some point and I think they could be pretty hard on the hardwood floors.

Help me decide!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:04:44 AM EDT

Tile kitchen and baths. Wood everywhere else.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:06:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BayEagle:

+1

I am in the process of doing the same. 2000 sf of hardwood (red oak) and 600 sf of tile.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:08:27 AM EDT

Yep.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:17:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By npd233:

Yep.

Agreed. However, we did hardwood in the kitchen too and it's holding up very well. I wouldn't even consider tile in any other room.

BTW, have hardwood all over with carpet in the bedrooms and tile in the baths. We did all the hardwood ourselves before we moved in. That was 5 years ago and the hardwood is the first thing everyone mentions when the visit us the first time.

R.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:44:46 AM EDT
I got a big pile of the laminate stuff in my bedroom right now (25 boxes). I got it from Costco a couple months back when they knocked $5 off each box....came to $1.29 per square foot after the discount. I need to install it now............
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:47:56 AM EDT
Are you talking Pergo or actual wood. I had Pergo until my water heater went, flooded the house and ruined the floor so now I have tile throughout and love it. It is more durable, if a tile cracks or chips then I replace a single tile whereas with the pergo I would have needed to rip the whole room. It is more expensive but worth it. Good luck
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:48:37 AM EDT

Tile in entry ways as well. Sand/dirt fucks up hardwood.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:58:09 AM EDT
hardwood is overrated in my personal opinion...

put very nice tile in as many locations as possible and limit the hardwood. Looks great, can not be scratched only cracked and you replace a single tile.

Take a look at some books like at Lowe's or Home Depot on the subject - great pics and ideas.

Dogs will absolutely trash a hardwood floor.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:03:44 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:14:31 AM EDT
I have Pergo flooring in my rental and it works pretty well. But for my home I'd want some real nice hardwood. I'm leaning more towards tile right now but I'm still not 100%.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:24:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/23/2005 7:25:26 AM EDT by arfreak74]
tile in the kitchen and baths, + laundry room if you are gonna have one. plus around the entryways/mudroom.

wood everywhere else.

that would be my choice.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:29:47 AM EDT
I had wood in the entryway and the dog was hard on it. It did not hold up well. I replaced it with
tile 13 years ago and it still looks new. D Carnagey
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:37:00 AM EDT
Hardwood is like Optics on an AR.

It looks cool, but it's really GAY!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:47:50 AM EDT
I have an older home and it has hardwood floors in every room except the bathroom. The bathrood has tile and the kitchen has linoleum over the wood.

If and when I ever sell this house, I will never have hardwood floors again.

They are high maintenance and creak all the time. Termites love the wood. No matter how much termite treatments you do, they still fly in and take hold.

The only good thing about the hardwood flooring is the creaking would be good as a burglar alarm because the dog and I would hear the foot steps.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:50:46 AM EDT
I have hardwood in my living room and tile in the kitchen, dining room and laundry room. Make sure you seal the grout or it will stain. That or get a darker grout. I have a lighter grout and it stained real bad
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:55:29 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:56:39 AM EDT
I have tile in my kitchen but we are thinking about going to wood.
If you drop anything on tile it will break,at least wood gives you some give.
If the wood is properly finished it will hold up just fine.It will need to be refinished but by then if it was tile you may want to update the style or color anyway.
If you go with tile be sure its not to light or you will see every shoe print or scuff mark and will be mopping all the time.
Definately tile the bathrooms for waterproofing.
Be careful with tiling landings and hallways at the base of stairs,I was glad I had wood floors there when my infant duaghter decided to roll down a flight of stairs.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:06:13 AM EDT
Hardwood in living room, tile in bathroom,kitchen,entryway. Carpet or hardwood in bedroom. For tile, use the larger 18 or 21 inch ceramic. The hardwood would probably have to be refinished every three or four years with a dog in the house, gotta keep the dogs nails trimmed.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:31:42 AM EDT
Slate is my personal favorite.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:41:05 AM EDT
Dog + hardwood = bad news

unless you enjoy sanding and re-finishing.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:55:16 AM EDT
hey brother, I have 3 dogs and we built 7 months ago and did all tile floors - MAN i'm glad we did! The mud before grass came - just mop it up. Tile goes down quick, does not need re-finishing, and we saved a TON of money by buying nice (yet discounted) tile from HD or Lowes (don't recall). Anyway, I would not go back to wood for anything.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:57:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/23/2005 8:59:02 AM EDT by CR_OPSO]

Originally Posted By Persephone:
Dog + hardwood = bad news

unless you enjoy sanding and re-finishing.

Yep. My inlaws have 2 small dogs. They put hardwood down in their living room and within a few months, you could "trails" where the dogs normally walk/run. There weren't any major scratches, but they wore the shine off really fast. Plus - depending on the type of hardwood you put down, there may be a limit to the number of times you can refinish it. I think they can only refinish theirs 2 or 3 times. Without dogs, that would probably last a very long time.

On edit: They are building a new house right now and are putting hardwood in it, too.

CR
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:01:26 AM EDT
I put tile in my whole house. It's 6 years old and looks brand new. Tile is nearly indestructible unless you drop something hard and heavy on it, then it may crack. Tile is so easy to maintain. I simply mop the whole house once a week.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:19:55 PM EDT
Our new place will have hardwood on all of the first floor, except for the family room, which will be
carpeted, and the bathroom which will be tile.

Upstairs is carpet except for the bathrooms which will also be tile. Basement will be partially carpeted,
with the rest unfinished for now.

She's always wanted the wood flooring, so that's what we're going with, and is a sort-of 'gimme' from
me to her since she's letting me use a big chunk of the unfinished basement for my own evil purposes.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:22:28 PM EDT
Tile in the bathrooms and kitchen. Hardwood in the bedrooms, and marble everywhere else.
Top Top