Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/24/2005 12:51:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2005 12:52:38 PM EDT by AR15fan]
Somebody has seen Heat too many times.

Armed Robbers Hold Up West Houston Bank
Robbery Victim Says Husband's Arrest (detention beyotch) Almost As Scary As Holdup

POSTED: 10:39 a.m. CDT August 23, 2005
UPDATED: 4:59 p.m. CDT August 23, 2005

Story by Click2Houston

HOUSTON -- Houston police are searching for two of four armed men who robbed a southwest Houston bank Tuesday shortly after it opened, Local 2 reported.

Officers with the Houston Police Department said three men, wearing dark clothing, stockings over their faces and carrying assault weapons, held up 15 customers and several employees at the Bank of America on Westheimer Road near Hayes Road at about 9 a.m.

They also forced the bank manager to open the vault.

"Everybody was down on the floor. I was shaken up all over," bank customer Annie Jones said.

Police said another man waited in a getaway car outside, but their escape did not last long. Precinct 5 deputy constables pulled over the vehicle about a mile from the scene because the car did not have a license plate. The deputies did not realize at first that the men were suspects in a robbery. Two men were apprehended, while the other two escaped to a nearby complex.

Officers followed them to the Lakecrest Townhome complex on Wilcrest Drive near Briar Forest Drive and found the stolen cash hidden in some bushes.

Authorities also recovered an assault rifle and several guns from the car.

Deputies brought the apprehended suspected robbers back to the bank to be identified by witness.

Although the bank robbery was scary, Jones told Local 2 what happened to her and her husband after the robbery was almost worse than the robbery itself: Police handcuffed her husband.

"Somebody said they saw me ? that I looked like the lookout," Jones' husband, Michael, told Local 2.

Michael Jones told Local 2 that he was getting on a METRO bus when he noticed three men running out of the bank. He said he got off the bus because his wife was in the bank, met up with his wife as she left the building and walked across the street to a gas station to make a phone call.

Police said that a witness called Michael Jones' actions suspicious, which was the reason he was taken into custody and handcuffed The tempoary display of weapons or use of handcuffs to maintain the status quo does not escalate a detention to an arrest.

Officers questioned Michael Jones but determined he was not one of the robbers.

Officials with the Houston Independent School District said police asked them to keep students at Walnut Bend Elementary School, 10620 Briar Forest Drive, inside for about 20 minutes as authorities searched the area for the armed men.

No injuries were reported.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:10:11 PM EDT
Bull! If you put handcuffs on me, you have arrested me. Make up all the legalistic excuses you want, but you detain and cuff someone, he is arrested. Perhaps wrongly, but he is still arrested. At least have the balls to man up and say, "Sorry, sir, we made a mistake."
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:39:03 PM EDT
It's been a while since I did the LE thing, but if I remember correctly, you're not officially under arrest until you've been Mirandized. You CAN be cuffed if the officer has a concern for his safety.

Like I said, it's been awhile so take my input w/ a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:53:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By A_Free_Man:
Bull! If you put handcuffs on me, you have arrested me.

You need to read up on your case law. Start with Adams Vs. Williams.

The temporary use of handcuffs or display of weapons to maintain the status quo does not escalate a detention to an arrest.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:24:03 AM EDT
Yeah...my boys taking care of business.

Funny cause our deputy was unaware of the robbery and went to stop these guys for traffic. They ran a short distance and that's when two bailed out. A little while later our guys found out it was taken in a bank robbery but by then the car had already been gone through and finger fucked. Then when CSU shows up they have the gall to bitch our guys out about "contaminating the scene." Good thing I wasn't there because I would one apeshit on the CSU dick.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:27:58 AM EDT
Yeah, I've been cuffed and stuffed 3 times all while waiting for cops to get things sorted out, Let go with an apology (and me letting them no I understood and it was no big deal). I have been arrested twice. By ticket. Some wording somewhere in Arkansas law says that if you get a ticket with a court date, you've been arrested.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:14:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Dusty_C:
Yeah, I've been cuffed and stuffed 3 times all while waiting for cops to get things sorted out, Let go with an apology (and me letting them no I understood and it was no big deal). I have been arrested twice. By ticket. Some wording somewhere in Arkansas law says that if you get a ticket with a court date, you've been arrested.

Arrested and released on your written promise to appear.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:18:22 AM EDT
damn, no shoot out in the downtown area of Houston??????

What gun did he use?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:23:06 AM EDT
So did they find real select fire weapons, or do I own "assault rifles" now too?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:26:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/25/2005 11:27:10 AM EDT by Grunteled]

Police said another man waited in a getaway car outside, but their escape did not last long. Precinct 5 deputy constables pulled over the vehicle about a mile from the scene because the car did not have a license plate. The deputies did not realize at first that the men were suspects in a robbery. Two men were apprehended, while the other two escaped to a nearby complex.

No... someone failed to watch HEAT enough times to know the difference between knocking over the mini mart in East Bum Fuck, and an armed bank robery in the middle of the city. Proof that most criminals are thankfully dumb asses.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:37:17 AM EDT
damn, I hear more about where I live than the local news. Also I have an alibi.
Top Top